Masters Running

Chilly in South Florida; Wednesday 1/4/2012 Daily (Read 404 times)

Mariposai

Good morning gang, I just posted my miles on the monthly total thread. This really, really inspired me!

Perchcreek, what a magnificent year you last last year.

Perckcreek's stats:

December: 218.7 miles

2011: 2853.9 miles  a huge PR! 8:52 pace average is a PR too!

First calendar year of running with no injuries.

Every month of 2011 200+ miles

501 days of running everyday.

Thinking of Twocat, I hope the run went well today! 

Breger, you poor guy, you had to run outside on a chilly day.

RCG, glad to hear that Ralph is on his way of recovery.

PBJ, how is the boot treating you?

Carolyn, have fun on your trip down south.

Fatozzig, great to hear that you can see now the light at the end of the tunnel. I am so happy with you!!!

7 miles before dawn. Legs are led from snowshoeing. I hope it feels better for tempo Thursday.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Henrun

Happy Birthday Dave. Not sure if I'll run today as cold and windy as it is. I'm just looking forward to the warmth next week (like mrrun is). Not sure how I'll do in the half-just want to finish it.

God luck to all the Disney runners-it's warming up in south Florida.

King of PhotoShop

I tried to tell her she didn't need to do such a long run before her first marathon but she is not a good listener.  This sounds like peroneal tendinitis. It goes away sooner than PF, but it will still take a while.

Happy birthday young Dave.

3.3 on the dirt track with my RP. I am having a very light and restful week, with all these 2.2 milers and a day off tomorrow. Saturday is my Half, sub 1:50 or I will kill someone.  Spareribs

Happy Birthday to Dave!  5.3 miles seems just right to me. 

Cold here this morning, too - 27 degrees and windy for my morning 7 miler at something a bit faster than easy.  It definitely takes me at least two miles to get warmed up these days.  I think this run was 8:15, 8:00 for the first two miles and then 7:40 - 7:50 for the rest.  Guess I need to get myself into a half marathon to get some idea of my fitness. 

Good luck to the Disney runners.  I hope lil miss rosie's foot is feeling better soon.  Hope the chilly weather sticks around for the marathon!

Barb, sorry to hear about Tech's loss.  I did not watch the game - just saw the headlines this morning, so I cannot comment on the commentary. 

I am very impressed with most everyone's end of year numbers.  I myself was thrilled to run 221 miles in December, which is the most I've run in one month in a couple of years now, but that is nothing compared to what some of you have achieved. 

Once a runner . . .

Mike E

MM #5615

Good morning!  Happy birthday, Dave!

There are already a lot of nice runs reported for the day.  Great job everybody!

Mary--I would love to build a fire out on at that patio!  

Yes--good luck to the Disney racers!  OM--take it easy.  You really don't have to run at all until the marathon so relax.

Another 2 hours on the road, this morning.  Actually, longer.  I have a job interview on Friday morning, so I did a trial run to make sure I had time to get there after I dropped Eric off at school.  I should have plenty of time.  Boy--it just occured to me that I haven't had an interview for almost 21 years.  Hmmm...is that sweat I feel running down my armpits? 

I'm going to putz around a little bit longer then go out for my run.  It's 30o right now and the 7 mph wind is going to feel like nothing after what it's been like that last few days. 

I have a feeling nobody will have to worry about Ribs on Saturday--he'll get under 1:50...but I'm staying up north...just in case.

Okay--that's it.

mrrun

Happy Birthday Dave!!! we must have been posting at the same time - there's also the option of 53 minutes

marj

@ Tramps & Paavo - photo was from a few years ago.  I actually would turn on the ball and ease it out about 18" while holding the bar.  Then I'd toss a small (5lb?) medicine ball back and forth between my hands with an occasional (every 100 tosses) pass behind my back.  My record was over 5 minutes standing.  I never jumped up & down but it was actually easier to stay on flexing my knees a little to some music.   Only one bad fall.  I caught myself by grabbing the cage and tore a muscle in my left arm.  Which is why I don't stand on the ball anymore!  Wink

Pride runs highest before the fall, I always say.

Lousy 3 miles of hills, was supposed to be 5 MOH, but I had nothing, NOTHING in me.  And the drenching downpour didn't help either.

Happy birthday Dave.  I was thinking about your odd work situation.  Probably a good idea not to ask them if you still work there, in case they overlooked something.  Do you think I could just show up somewhere and say I'm the new person and then start getting paid?

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Happy Birthday, Dave. I had no idea you were such a youngster, though. Thought "Dave59" was your age-- must be your birth year I guess.

Rose, my observation is that it always seems like the network announcers are against your team. I think it's because we watch so many locally-covered games where the announcers are real homers. I was tired and barely made halftime, so mostly thought Michigan was playing poorly.

And speaking of bedtime, last night was the first night in a week where I slept all the way through and didn't wake up because I'd changed position and my ribs were hurting me. So definite progress day by day.

Mariposai, a Michigan winter will put a dent in Perch's totals for 2012, unless he's tougher than most of those southern runners who are in danger of suffering exposure at 42 degrees. Big grin

The forecast wasn't particularly good for today, but it turned out to be a very nice day for a run at our usual 9:30 gathering. Mid-20s and a bit breezy, but the sun came out and turned it into IRC for a January run.

Then it was off to a late breakfast where we passed a "no groaning" rule. This is after we've come from running and sit for about an hour at breakfast, then when we start to get up to leave, there's a bunch of grunts and moans (anyone here who's over 60 knows what I mean). I was given dispensation since my ribs are still sore, but if I do it next week it'll draw a penalty.

Have a good run today if you haven't already, and try to hold down the grunts when you get up from your chair!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

OrangeMat

MM #6177

Happy Birthday Dave!!

Nice dancing bear imitation, Skip Smile

Didn't run, ran errands for last minute packing, and now we're just waiting for DD to get home from school so we can go to the airport. See y'all on the other side!

Mariposai, a Michigan winter will put a dent in Perch's totals for 2012, unless he's tougher than most of those southern runners who are in danger of suffering exposure at 42 degrees. Big grin

Oh, ouch!  I'm wounded!  Wink

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Dave59

Happy birthday Dave.  I was thinking about your odd work situation.  Probably a good idea not to ask them if you still work there, in case they overlooked something.  Do you think I could just show up somewhere and say I'm the new person and then start getting paid?

I got an email from the new "Senior Vice President" over IT and he said I report to him for now. 

I want so bad to make jokes about the former employer but I better just keep quiet since you never know when I might need to ask them for a job some day.  Don't burn bridges as they say.  But the administrative red tape continues to be so funny.  I just received an email (from the old employer) with my "new employee non-employee ID" that I may need for certain on-line functions.  You just can't make this stuff up.

It's going to take a few weeks to get a normal flow going, and then a few months to re-staff and get back to where we were last year at this time. So far it is pretty good.  I very much prefer the atmosphere of a company of 1000 over a company of 400,000.  

dg.

Happy Birthday Dave!!

Nice dancing bear imitation, Skip Smile

Didn't run, ran errands for last minute packing, and now we're just waiting for DD to get home from school so we can go to the airport. See y'all on the other side!

Esther I've been meaning to write to you..... have a wonderful wonderful happy fun groovy first marathon, just experience it to the full.  then tell us all about it : ).     will be sending you lots of energy and happy vibes.

as long as I'm here,   Happy Birthday Dave! 

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

First, a big Happy Birthday to Dave! 

And Skip, that's a funny story. And Roch, I am glad you are getting better and I understand the non-groaning clause.

Second, Ribsy, Tramps, and, darn, I wish I had a "thieves" type name to place here. I, too, told her not to run 24. Ribs gave her and SisterRose very good advice regarding time and distance and marathon training. They are cut from the same cloth, neither one listens to advice very well but both are as sweet as pie when they disobey.

And, yes, it is definitely peroneal tendinitis. She has support hose and the rocket scientist went to the LRS in Newport News and got her a compression sock specifically for her foot.  

Roch, we were discussing the game here and decided we blew it with 5 specific blunders. Gradually, I am getting over this. During our run this morning (our friend, Steve, the athletic trainer is the associate athletic director at W&M) and he was able to get me thinking a better way.  He said, "Isn't it nice that Michigan coach got a bowl win?"

After professing my distaste for Michigan (spending my first 22 years in Akron Ohio) and as the miles melting my disappointed heart, I said, "Yes. It is nice."

MikeEy, are you ready for your interview? My favorite interview question is: "If you were a part of a bicycle, which part would you be?"

HEY. Let's all throw out some interview questions... 

Mike E

MM #5615

I caught myself by grabbing the cage and tore a muscle in my left arm.  Which is why I don't stand on the ball anymore!  Wink

Well--nobody can ever question your intelligence.

I did my 10.2 mile run, today, in the exact same time that I did it on Monday--1:17:56...I don't know why I think that's so weird.  Nice and sunny out there!

Okay--that's all I've got time for.  I have to shower and get ready to go back down and pick my kid up from school--another 2 hours on the road.  Than I have to get over to my DD's house to watch the grandkids.  See Ya!