Masters Running

TimBo's 16 mile Marathon (Read 467 times)

Franc59

Half Fanatic #36

Hi Tim, Sorry to read you had to pull out, better to deal with a minor injury now than risking being out of commission for a long time just for the sake of finishing the race. ....about the next marathon....I also say..Seattle R&R...!!! Francesca
      Tim, you have a wonderful opportunity. An opportunity to come away with a renewed sense of what a runner truly is and how tough it is to be one. Training, more training, some adversity and then the mental toughness to overcome the adversity and continue on. No you did not complete the race today, but today was not the finish line. It was never meant to be the finish line. Even if you had not had the injury and you finished today's race, you still would not have been done...there's more for you. You now will continue on and have the opportunity to demonstrate your mental toughness and acknowledge to yourself that there is more. More to the "race" than today's finish line. We've all followed your training and know what a tough and talented runner you are. You are now tougher and wiser....maybe more so than if you had not had the injury. Looking forward the rest of the race.
      Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

Marathon Maniac #3309

Thanks everyone, just woke up from a nap and need to go to bed...I think we are suppose to turn the clock back an hour tonight...oh well, guess I will figure it out in the morning. Learn to sleep better....how do you practice that...naps??? Good luck and of best wishes to the other Marathoners...Steve, Erica, and Twocat (which I am sorry for not dying for...it's your turn buddie) Thanks all, Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Of course you did the right thing, Tim. But I know that is little solace when you've been working so hard and training so well. The late-training injury was incredibly bad luck, but you're a fine runner and you'll be back. I can say with some experience that the hard-won BQ is that much sweeter. So try to put this behind you now, and focus on healing.

aka Mrs. WillRunForBeer, MD, USA

Marathoning, the triumph of desire over reason

bike, I don't know that I can add anything. You made the smart decision. In your head, you know you did the right thing even though, in your heart, there is disappointment. Being smart is not always easy. Your experience gives new meaning to the saying, " Why couldn't Phedippedes have died at mile 16". We all continue to be with you in your decision and as you come back stronger than ever. TomS
              Tim---I admire and respect you for making the tough choice. You did the right thing and made a decision that will carry you through all sorts of future marathons and races. Your ankle/foot will likely heal before your heart and your head, but we are all right here to help and support you with that too. It's clear that you will run a great marathon. It wasn't meant to be for yesterday, but it will happen soon. Take your time now to heal, think about what you want to do next and we will all cheer even louder. Read the August 23 entry on the blog in the attached link. It made me shed a tear and was also inspirational. http://www.deenakastor.com/ As for crying----only real men can shed tears when they feel something deeply. You haven't damaged the image (or at least it's all safe here). Karin
              SteveP

Tim, Most people don't have the guts to start a race like yours. One runner I very much admire DNFs quite often. But she always starts. You know as well as every one that you have a BQ in you. I've looked forward to this RR and was not disapointed.

SteveP

Top 'O the World!

{{{{{HeroTim}}}}} {{{{{{{Speedy Recovery!!}}}}}}
                  Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group
                    Sorry to hear these results, Tim, but glad that you were smart enough to stop before you did any permanent damage. There is always another marathon, but some injuries can't be undone. By the way, I ran with a guy this morning who ran the Detroit Marathon a couple weeks ago and missed his BQ by 3 seconds! I think I'd rather DNF than have that "if only" on my mind.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

TheSaint

Tim, sorry it didn't go as planned, but you did the right thing. You've gained the respect of many people for pulling out and not risking further injury. There's a BQ with your name on it just waiting!
                        biketm...awesome training, awesome run. You will now be an inspiration to others for knowing when to quit and knowing how to pick yourself back up and continue on. Janet

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Tim... a big part of marathoning is knowing when to fold your cards. You did the right thing. Another part of marathoning is building on prior training. Once healed, you will go into another training cycle and be even stronger. You have a super awesome marathon awaiting you. I can't wait! Steve

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Tim, you trained hard for this one...the example you set is an excellent one. Recover quickly and come back HUNGRY. I'm sure your next one will be fantastic.

Renee the dog

{{{{{{{TIM!}}}}}}} Just checking in from Disney World and Oh, I wish it had gone differently for you! My husband and I are bumming on your behalf as we sit here. I've told him a bit about your run up, but hadn't told him about your injury, and oh, we're feeling it with you. As others have said though, tomorrow is another day. Why these things happen never make sense at the time, but I sure home it does to you after the futuer unfolds. Again, many hugs.

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Maniac 505

Tim: sorry to hear it, but you did the smart thing! Believe me, I know how you feel, I know how tough it is, but you really did the smart thing. Let me tell you a little story, Many here have heard it before, maybe you have too. I trained hard for my second marathon, 2004 Seattle (2003 Seattle was my first) As my training progressed, I began to see that a BQ might be possible (It wasn't in my wildest dreams after '03). I followed an aggressive training schedule, and training went really well. 3 weeks before the marathon I did my last long run (I did all the training runs a little harder than I should have) 20 miles was called for, I ran 22 miles, and did it at BQ pace, I really think I could have BQ'ed that day, Uh Oh! two weeks before, I did my last 8 mile Pfitz run, a really hard 8 miler, the run went well, but I was limping bad after. next day I couldn't run. I took the last two weeks before the race mostly off, I started the "04 marathon, and dropped in the first mile. I was very down and dejected, but after re-grouping, I didn't want to waste my training I was diagnosed with a pelvis stress fracture, I couldn't run for 7 months, but I was able to use the elliptical, so I hit the elliptical REALLY HARD 5 months after I was able to start running again, (a little over a year after the disastrous Seattle) I did get my BQ with 5 minutes to spare. I don't know if this tale will help or not, but if you have a BQ in you, but you are injured, there are ways to maintain your fitness, it is still there, and you have a life time of runs ahead of you. looking forward to reading about your next marathon good luck Dave