Masters Running

Wednesday April 16 Boomer/Master Runs (and whatever ...) (Read 545 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

Holly,.....Will your family be coming with to cheer you on?
    DH is coming, but the kids are staying with friends Fri and Sat and family Sun and Mon. Both kids are already going through some trauma about me (and DH) leaving them for the first time (ever), and truthfully it will be hard for me as well. DD was sitting in my lap the other night sobbing, “I don’t WANT you to go to Boston, Mommy!” and DS keeps telling me about the nervous feeling he’s getting about not getting any sleep while we’re away. I know they will survive it, as will I, but it’s tough. Sad DG – nice going! That’s a lot improved! BTB – beautiful! Mariposai – that is such a nice idea! Do you have any pics from that trip you could post?

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

King of PhotoShop

I am in lovely Cranberry, PA, just outside of Pittsburgh. Found a very hilly course near my hotel and did a slow 4 on it. Just enough time to post my run. I am onstage today from 2-4 and unfortunately I follow the CEO of the bank who is an outstanding speaker. I read some time ago that Elvis Presley once said he would never appear onstage with Roy Orbison because Orbison had a better voice. It's always tough to follow anyone who is better than you are, why they say, "that's a tough act to follow." Bill, when you get those cooler days you really motor. As you say, a big confidence builder for Eugene. Another nice workout for you Mary. Spareribs
      TammyinGP

BTB - Those were wonderful pics! I love those foggy ones. looks like a postcard! I hope your day gets better. Sending happy jujuvibes your way! Thanks for your words Tet in yesterday's daily (as well as everyone else who shared their 2 cents). Still struggling with the smart thing to do. And today at 5 p.m is the deadline to change my status and still be able to have my bib redone with the correct number and my name on it. I can still change it at the expo if I want but just won't have the HM bib - I'd be wearing my marathon bib. Not that that's a big deal really - I will still have my recorded splits,etc. Tonight after work I'm going for a 6 mile run, on pavement, to see how my lower leg feels. My hope is to do 15 on Saturday, although it's supposed to be cold and rainy here, and really am not looking forward to a TM run. Maybe if Sunday is nicer, I'll go out on Sunday instead. Or I'll not be a wussy and just face the weather elements. Have a good day everyone!

Tammy

seemomgo

DH is coming, but the kids are staying with friends Fri and Sat and family Sun and Mon. Both kids are already going through some trauma about me (and DH) leaving them for the first time (ever), and truthfully it will be hard for me as well. DD was sitting in my lap the other night sobbing, “I don’t WANT you to go to Boston, Mommy!” and DS keeps telling me about the nervous feeling he’s getting about not getting any sleep while we’re away. I know they will survive it, as will I, but it’s tough. Sad
          Holly, those kids can really yank your chain! This past weekend was the fist time I had ever left the kids - now Seedadgo is always traveling and gone sometimes for months on end...but Mom is a constant. Both kids have gone to camp, on school trips and been away from home for two weeks at a time.....BUT!!! I have never left THEM! When I went away last week for three days it was funny! I must have received 15 text messages from Seegirlgo on the first day. She was so pathetic it was funny! I don't really fall for their shenanigans though, so I just kept laughing every time I got a message saying Dad was mean, I NEED you, please come home, blah blah blah... by the time I came home we were down to about 1 text every 4 hours. All of a sudden it was okay! Your kids will remeber that you are doing for what is good for you - and that is really important for them to see. Don't worry about them. They will be fine and you will ROCK!!!!

I Can Go The Distance

Good Morning Recovery day for me afer speed session yesterday. I did 5 miles in 50:49 10:10/mile pace. My legs were a little sluggish during the first mile, but after that I felt fine. Will be doing a second speed session tomorrow. BTB: Thanks for the pictures. You must have some really nice places to run away from city streets. Dromedary: You have to run Lomita with me so we can do cakes and beer together! Have a great day all. Bruce

"Don't give up, don't ever give up." Jim Valvano

Tammy, sorry I didn't want to give you useless advice. Only you know what decision is the right one. A friend once told me to flip a coin when I couldn't decide upon two courses of action. You will either pick it up and flip it again (if that choice didn't relieve your angst), or feel relief when it lands the way your unconscience wanted it to. 7 miles on the TM last night. It wasn't as carpy as I feared. 1 mile @ 10:43, 5 miles @ 10:21, 1 mile @ 8:35. My daughter is still sick so I will slip in another run tonight after dinner but before darkness falls.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

TammyinGP

awww Enke, your advice was not useless at all.I received lots of good advice, both here and at KR. and I weighed it all in. If what I have right now is a very minor SF or weak spot prime for a SF, I'm not sure I'm willing to risk a full blown SF that would have me out of commission for most of the summer all for the sake of being able to do the marathon I had my heart set on. there are other marathons I would equally enjoy. And there are races I want to do this summer as well. sought after advice is never useless. Thank you.

Tammy

evanflein

Perch, Holly might even get enuf cash to cover the cost of her new duds, no? I think I'm just bringing an old t-shirt... a little pre-run chill is good for you, IMO. Holly, your kids will be fine. I think I'd have had to kill mine long ago if I didn't get regular breaks. (ok, JK) Seemomgo, that's hilarious! I get the "Dad's so mean!" thing too. Oh well, they seem to all survive. I love my kids dearly, but it's so nice to get away.... BTB, awesome pictures. Thanks for posting! Hope your day gets better... I like being busy but not the bad hectic kind of busy. Well, my name was dirt yesterday. Poor DS1 was all excited about getting his braces off.... and I had the date wrong. He still had an appointment, but it was just a last check to make sure things were still ok and on track. The real debanding date is the 24th. Oops. He was pretty annoyed with me... what can I say. sawry... It was only 25F yesterday for our high, and windy! Oh well, I'd planned on the TM anyway to avoid the icy spots. 5 miles, 1% incline... 2 @8:49, 1 @8:34, 2 @8:20. I wore my HRM last night, too. (found it in the laundry basket...?) First two miles had me bouncing between 136 and 142, middle mile had me up to 145 to 147, last two miles were between 145 to 152... Those HR's seem higher than a lot of you guys, but I think lower than the last time I checked. I'm sort of with Hopeful Mary in the high HR category I think. Compared to Bill, it's really high. But then, I can get it up to 125 walking up a hill! When I was training horses for competitive trail riding, our emphasis was on recovery, i.e., how quickly they'd recover to base level HR. I walked half mile after my run, and within 90 seconds I went from 152 to 85, walking 4 mph on 4% incline. I guess that's ok... -3F this morning. The conditions around here this April are pushing the sucky-weather envelope (but at least the sun is shining...)
                  Teresadfp

One day at a time

Wow, Erika, that's cold!! I just got back from Texas around 12:30 this morning, and Maine has warmed up considerably while I was gone. It's 54 degrees right now! My DS1 is supposed to get his braces off soon, too! He can't wait. It's been 2 1/2 years. My friend and I ended running 26.2 miles the seven days we were in Texas - I can't believe it! We both agreed that running on vacations will be mandatory from now on. We ate a TON of food - BBQ, Tex-Mex, seafood, etc., but I didn't gain any weight. As is my tradition when I visit Texas, I went shopping for WINTER clothes because they're always on sale this time of year! I've been wearing size 10, but I had to go down to size 8 for some black dress pants - whoo hoo! I think a guy was actually flirting with me in the airport yesterday! What a shock. I loved being in Austin, but it's good to be home. When we moved to Maine, we could tell that the state is about 10 years behind the rest of the country (which isn't a bad thing, lol). That became obvious again to me when I was looking at the raft of new buildings and shopping centers springing up in Texas - very modern! The driving wore me out - everyone speeds like it's a race, and that's saying a lot since I love to drive fast! I would hate to be an older driver down there. Today is a rest day, but I will be going for 9.5 miles tomorrow, my longest so far.
                      ((HOLLY)) it is hard leaving your kids for the first time but you so deserve this and you're right - everyone will be ok........we used to take little mini-breaks from the kids even if it was just one night away about once a year or so - it's so rejuvenating to your marriage and to your parenting.....i hope you and your DH have an amazing time in Boston!! it is 60's and sunny here today - absolutely beautiful -- but i'm hoping for 50 and overcast for Monday!! so - yesterday had a sports focused massage - think it was actually a little too much for me with having to go into work -- i took alleve but it took so long to kick in i had already asked the manager and charge nurse if i could go home at 11p- they actually sent me home at 9 - the pain was written all over my face and i just couldn't mask it last night.......today went to the primary care -- she wouldn't order an MRI - said my insurance would deny it since it's only 2 weeks since this started and we haven't done PT yet so that's my next step........i also think i am going to get back into the gym and start doing some light elliptical and recumbent bike work and take it from there - i've done next to nothing for 2 weeks and not getting better so maybe i need the light movement and PT --- i'm sure i need it mentally because not running or working out and having pain is not good for the psychi!! going to sit out in the sun for a few and soak up some rays - that should help improve my attitude - then going to watch DS#3 play lacrosse!!

denise

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Holly, dee is right - it's good for all of you! My kids were so affectionate this morning! My absence made them realize that I'm good for a few things, lol! I feel SO much better, too - having a week of being selfish and going wherever I wanted to go, was awesome. Now I can do a better job as a mom! Good luck!!!
                          Holly - trust me. This is good for your kids and your marriage (which is also good for your kids). You're going to have a blast and they'll be just fine. And now, for your regularly scheduled Boston weather forecast survey: weather.com Partly Cloudy, High 57 Chance of precip 20% Winds: ESE 10 mph noaa.gov Partly Sunny, High near 60 wbz tv Mostly Cloudy, chance of drizzle, High 58 accuweather Mainly Cloudy, chance of a few showers, High 58

aka Mrs. WillRunForBeer, MD, USA

Marathoning, the triumph of desire over reason

So PDR. Where's WRFB been - he's been rare lately. Putting the finishing touches on the Boston Brew? Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

So PDR. Where's WRFB been - he's been rare lately. Putting the finishing touches on the Boston Brew? Bill
                              Funny you should ask. He just called me from the airport (Dulles). He's been trapped in North Las Vegas at our satellite station for 10 days, working on customer acceptance testing of a new system we're delivering. The work isn't complete, but he claimed "urgent personal business", so that he could get the heck out of there. We've got to be on the road to Boston first thing Friday morning, and he's got a lot of unpacking/packing to do. I might do his laundry if he promises to catch up on the burned-out light bulbs around the house.

aka Mrs. WillRunForBeer, MD, USA

Marathoning, the triumph of desire over reason

I love the kids stories. (Holly, do remember to ask DS on Christmas Eve, if you observe it and he still believes in SC, if he's worried about not getting enough sleep that night!) I always feel bad leaving my critters, so I can only imagine the tug at leaving the kiddoes. Tonight's our last night with Frank, as he'll have to go to his doggie B&B (as we call it in front of him) Thursday night so we can leave early Friday. Love the photos--what are those round spindly things, anyone know? (or it's obvious??) A neighbor was putting something to repel deer on her lawn this weekend--I live in the city, but nearby "dinosaur hill," a protected wilderness area and the deer wander down to eat our gardens and garbage on occasion. deez--watch out for your son's mouthpiece--if it pops out on the field, don't let him stick it back in his mouth (ala btb's story a few days back). Hope everyone who is ailing, either with strep, colds or injuries, has a good and speedy recovery. Get your sleep, everyone! Yea, in fact, take off work if you can to catch a nap. Say, Ribs should be about finished now. In a few hours, maybe he'll be able to catch some of the big game on ESPN. I'm wearing my red sox today (dark suit, red shirt, subtle accessories, it all works). pdr--you da weathergirl! You be incharge of updates, you have great Karma. I had a friend who was a big fan of beer and cake, said he liked the way the cake in his mouth fizzed up when it met with the beer. Confused After 84 yesterday, I'm back with the cold folks--it is in the 40s but with the wind and spotty rain, the "real feel" is 34. Just did 5 at a 8:14 pace. grins, A
                                Masters 2000 miles