Masters Running

Wednesday April 16 Boomer/Master Runs (and whatever ...) (Read 545 times)

King of PhotoShop

I loved being in Austin, but it's good to be home. When we moved to Maine, we could tell that the state is about 10 years behind the rest of the country (which isn't a bad thing, lol). That became obvious again to me when I was looking at the raft of new buildings and shopping centers springing up in Texas - very modern! The driving wore me out - everyone speeds like it's a race, and that's saying a lot since I love to drive fast! I would hate to be an older driver down there.
    I think someone was talking to me in that last line above! Hey Aamos, I hear you on the game. Spareribs

GreenMan

Great photos BTB, especially the first one of the irrigation pipe. I ran in Montrail Streaks for the first time today. Excellant shoe. light with a good ankle collar, generous toe box. Tomorrow I going to try the FiveFinger KSO, think Injinji sock with a Vibram bottom and mesh upper. Today, 2 miles of Recovery pace (breathing through nose easy) 7 miles GA (using 4/4 breathing as a guide) and 100m pickup at end of each mile, avg pace 9:40 1 mile cooldown If I'd had the Garmin, I'll bet I would have ran the GA slower than M-:15. I was suprised I could maintain that pace that long without without resorting to 2/2 breathing (except the pikups and the brief recovery). So the question is: If your goal is a GA, run should you be concerned about running too hard as long as you can still stay in 4/4 breathng? JJJ
      Iron Mt. Trail Runners blogsite .... JJJessee blogsite ....Spring is here. Go outside and play.
        I had a friend who was a big fan of beer and cake, said he liked the way the cake in his mouth fizzed up when it met with the beer. Confused
        OK - so now I just have to tell this story. In June of 1981 I was having difficulty moving out of the early stages of labor with dawndaughter1. (Those of you coming to Somerville Saturday night will get to meet her). After being up all night with labor pains that gradually hit the magic 5 minutes apart, we went to the hospital, only to be told that the exam showed zero progress and we had to go home. Things just kept dragging on at home, and I was becoming increasingly agitated and very tired. The doctor advised me to have a small beer to help me relax. We had been invited to a close friend's PhD defense party that night, so I thought, what the heck, I may as well sit at the party as anywhere else. So off we went - I drank beer, ate chocolate cake and did LaMaze breathing in the corner. Eventually the huffing and puffing got a little embarrassing, so I went home. The ex was having too good a time to leave, and I had to finally phone him to leave the party and take me back to the hospital. (Some would say I've traded up with WRFB). I wish I could say that the beer and cake brought on the delivery, but it was another 21 hours.... I kept telling myself that I was a runner, and I could tough it out.

aka Mrs. WillRunForBeer, MD, USA

Marathoning, the triumph of desire over reason

Teresadfp

One day at a time

I think someone was talking to me in that last line above! Hey Aamos, I hear you on the game. Spareribs
          Oh, sorry, Spareribs! I almost made the same comment to my mom, before I realized she would think I was talking about her! She's 70, but I don't think of her as "older!" She likes to drive fast, like I do. Wink I don't think of you as "older," either!!

Marathon Maniac #957

So the question is: If your goal is a GA, run should you be concerned about running too hard as long as you can still stay in 4/4 breathng? JJJ
            JJJ - I don't think I've EVER had 4/4 breathing. I think I'm 2/2 all the time (except for the last mile of a 5K, when I'm 2/1 and eventually 1/1). Maybe that's what's wrong with my running - no lung capacity...

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

8 mile middle of the week sorta medium longish run kinda thingy at 9:40 pace. Ok I know this was discussed before but what is a GA run ? I keep noticing this 9:40 pace in my days that are not really structured days. Do you think this has become my default pace when I am not pushing or trying to go slow such as in a long run? It used to be faster. Undecided Marathon training and tired legs I guess. Marathon Derick, hope you feel better. I hate getting sick just as the weather breaks this time of year. Good pictures and runs and boston prep from everyone today.

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

Marathon Maniac #957

Hallar - GA is General Aerobic. I interpret that as faster than easy, but not as fast as MP. A good, brisk run. For me, personally, as I interpret it, recovery pace is anything over 10:00, easy pace is 9:45-50-ish, MP is 8:45, and GA is 9:15.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

A nice bit of running today......4.57 miles with another 1.12 miles walking. If PDR's baby had been a boy.....it could have been named "Bud". (as in.."she had a Bud") Ok..ok....bad joke.....just grin and beer it. Watching a little Red Sox ball tonight. Even though I am a Red Sox fan and have watched many games at Fenway, my very first game that I ever saw was at Yankee Stadium with Ted Williams playing left field. The Red Sox had a pitcher who also played basketball for the Celtics. The sports quiz for the night......do you know his name? (I have a feeling Spareribs knows this one). Of course there have been others playing two different pro sports.....usually baseball and football. Any takers on some names there?
                  Vista
                    Wednesday's run - 7.07 miles - Easy with 2 miles at marathon pace - 59:04 - (8:22) Avg HR 130 This was a real nice run, I put my two marathon paced mile right in the middle and hit them on the nose at 7:38 each! Feeling strong and itching to run more and harder but keeping a handle on it...so far! Big grin Good runs all - four more days!

King of PhotoShop

A nice bit of running today......4.57 miles with another 1.12 miles walking. If PDR's baby had been a boy.....it could have been named "Bud". (as in.."she had a Bud") Ok..ok....bad joke.....just grin and beer it. Watching a little Red Sox ball tonight. Even though I am a Red Sox fan and have watched many games at Fenway, my very first game that I ever saw was at Yankee Stadium with Ted Williams playing left field. The Red Sox had a pitcher who also played basketball for the Celtics. The sports quiz for the night......do you know his name? (I have a feeling Spareribs knows this one). Of course there have been others playing two different pro sports.....usually baseball and football. Any takers on some names there?
                      Gene Conley rings a bell. I swear I didn't google this and not sure of the spelling. Joey, tell me if this very old trivia quiz still holds up. I heard it years ago. There was one guy who played in the Super Bowl and also on a championship NCAA basketball team. Spareribs

I Can Go The Distance

Of course there have been others playing two different pro sports.....usually baseball and football. Any takers on some names there?
                        Without Googling, here is my list: Michael Jordon: Baseball (WhiteSox, very shortly) and Basketball (Chicago Bulls of course). Deion Sanders: Baseball (Atlanta Braves) and Football (49ers and Cowboys). Bo Jackson: Baseball (Royals) and Football (Raiders) Danny Ainge: Baseball (Toronto BlueJays) and Basketball (Celts and I believe the Suns). Two Tall Jones: Football (Cowboys) and Pro Boxing (I believe he was knockedout in his first fight). Dave Debuschere: Baseball (White Sox) Basketball (Knicks). Otto Graham: Football (Cleveland Browns) Basketball (I don't remember which team in the early NBA). John Elway: Football (Broncos) Baseball? I am not sure if he ever made it to the majors with the Yankees. Jim Thorpe also played in the NFL and Major League baseball, but again I don't know which teams. Adding to this trivia: Does anyone know which athlete was drafted in all three major sports (NBA, NFL, MLB)?

"Don't give up, don't ever give up." Jim Valvano

Great photos BTB, especially the first one of the irrigation pipe. JJJ
                          Ditto that. The Irrigation pipe photo is my favorite, too. Holly, does Boston have an internet tracking feature? If they do, maybe your kids would enjoy tracking you as you run. It might give them a boost. 6miles for me this eveing. 82F....the warmest it's been for me since last summer. But it didn't seem that hot. A nice cool breeze helped things out. Good runs to all. And especially... goodness goes out to all the Bostonian racers. You must really be getting psyched!
                          Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
                            8.1 miles, middle 5 miles at tempo 8:28 pace, my half marathon pace goal is 8:35 so I was happy with the run. Especially since my quads are sore to touch after squating behind the plate 4 games in 5 days. For whatever reason it hurts more to walk than to run, but it's just minor soreness, not like marathon soreness. Wink Ribs, I'm 22 miles from Cranberry, it's one of the few areas in this part of the country to see much growth in the last 10 years. Very nice photos Bob Smile Boomers Run the Country! The Rifleman, Chuck Connors also played both baseball & basketball briefly in MLB & NBA.

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

Good trivia answers guys. I had forgotten some of the obvious ones that were mentioned. The answer on the player drafted in three sports has to be Dave Winfield. When I lived in Toronto I followed him and learned a bit about him. His football was the Vikings.....baseball was the Padres....and he actually was drafted by two pro basketball teams because that was when the ABA and NBA were both going on. I THINK the ABA team was Utah but I am not remembering who the NBA team was. Cranberry is a nice area. I have friends who live there and used to use that as a gas and food stop when driving up into the Toronto area from Virginia.
                              Vista

I Can Go The Distance

The answer on the player drafted in three sports has to be Dave Winfield.
                                Give that man a cigar. Dave Winfield is correct. I still can remember when he almost singlehandedly led Minesota to victory over my USC Trojans in the college world series. USC won on a homerun in the bottom of the 9th. Bruce

"Don't give up, don't ever give up." Jim Valvano