Masters Running

Monday's Daily, 8.26.13 (Read 45 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Sorry, but I haven't had a chance to catch up on the weekend's postings. But I hope everyone is OK and having fun.

We were in Shelburne Falls, MA for the weekend (at a B&B with no wifi, which was fine) with a terrific couple we know from when we lived in NJ (15+ years ago). DW and I needed the get-away more than we realized, and it was great. It's a gorgeous area, and a great little town to poke around in, and we had dinners at two great restaurants. I went for a 5.6 mi. racewalk on Saturday morning, and it was nothing but hills, which was a real challenge for this flatlander. We spent the rest of the day walking around town, so my legs were shot and I slept in on Sunday morning.

4.4 racewalking miles this morning, back on boring flatlands. 67F, overcast and muggy. I started out sproinkless, but got into a nice rhythm after about 3/4 mile or so. I got back about 1/2 hour or so before some sprinkles started. We're supposed to be installing a rain garden this morning, so I suppose it is appropriate that we get some rain.

Have a greta Monday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Dave59

I wish I wasn't so lazy about commenting.  I'd love to say something nice about tselbs & SteveP's races here in Michigan over the weekend.  I was a real slug.  I drove right past Flint on Friday and didn't even stop to pick up my Crim packet.

I love the car choice Enke.  When I bought my last new car in 2006, the Outback was my first choice when I started shopping.  I ended up with a Hyundai Sonata  because it was more comfortable, but if I was driving in the mountains and doing camping I probably would have ended up with the Outback.

I ran 5 this morning.  70° & a bit humid so I guess summer is going to make a comeback.  The year has been pretty bad when it comes to fitness, but I am going to just forget it and focus on using the last 4 months of 2013 to get in better shape.

fyi:  It's illegal to wear a fake mustache in church in Alabama.

Thanks for the start Jay! Glad you enjoyed Shelburne Falls. It's a beautiful town and not too far at all from where we are. Mr. CNYrunner loves going there to shop at the Lamson-Goodnow kitchen outlet---amazing chef's knives and tucked away right in town. The hills are plentiful indeed. Sounds like the change of scenery was just right.

Thanks for the tip Dave! Good thing I don't go to church Wink

Love that Annabelle---new toys indeed!

We are a Subie family and drive an Outback and a Legacy (Ronda the Honda is now driven by the kiddo). And as an extra bonus the Subaru logo is supposed to be the Seven Sisters constellation. Can anyone guess why I like that?

Easy 4.2 miles today after CrossFit---need to scale it back a bit as I move into taper.

Onward into the week we go....

I see there was the usual amazing running this past weekend for many of you.  Way to go!  I got up to run Sunday morning, walked out the front door and was met by a rainstorm.  I had no idea it was raining.  So walked back inside.  I get extra credit points for good intentions, right?

5 miles this morning with a couple of hill repeats.  Still fighting through the med-induced weariness but hanging in there.  More extra credit points!

I'm going to start shopping for an SUV any day now, in preparation for moving north.  Midsize probably, 4x4 almost certainly, everything else is up in the air.  So any SUV discussions today would be appreciated.  The outback looks very nice.  Any others that people like (or dislike)?

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Tramps

Jay--we missed you.  Without your leadership everyone was too scared to post yesterday.

Enke- (and Byll)-I read great reviews of the redesign of the Outback this year.  We almost got one last year but decided we needed a truck often enough to go that route again.  When our Honda Fit dies, though, I wouldn't be surprised if we go the Outback route for a replacement.

Dave--interesting trivia there. Are fake beards okay?

Tempo Monday but it was tough.  The legs were feeling heavy all the way through.  Nice cool morning though; our last before the heat gets here again.  10 miles total; 5 tempo.

Be safe. Be kind.

Jlynne

Good morning good people. Lots of activity here today as opposed to Sunday's forum (which ended with a lot of great posts Smile)

It was already 74° and humid when I got up at 4:30. Didn't feel like slugging through another sweaty run (though I'll be praying for this kind of weather come January). Off to the Y for an hour of elliptical and biking and 30 minutes of weights. It was thundering and raining when I came out so I chose well.

Your DS is driving Karin? Wow - where did the years go?

Sounds like you had a nice weekend Jay. Welcome back.

Dave - glad you and Annabelle are staying connected. Keep sending those toys, grandpa!

Take care Bill.  How much longer will you be on meds? As far as small SUV's go, I've had a Mazda CX7 for about 4 years now. I absolutely love it. There's enough room for hauling things yet it gets good gas mileage. And it handles great in snow and ice, which you should be thinking about soon Wink

As far as small SUV's go, I've had a Mazda CX7 for about 4 years now. I absolutely love it. There's enough room for hauling things yet it gets good gas mileage. And it handles great in snow and ice, which you should be thinking about soon Wink

That's one of the main reasons I'll be SUV shopping soon.  There are a couple of doozy hills near our place in N. MI., one of which DW couldn't get up in a rental car a few winters ago.  So that's definitely on my mind, as well as hauling grandkids, stuff, and the occasional trail rides.  I'm kind of waiting for the new Jeep Cherokee to be released to see what that's like - but I'm not hung up on any particular brand at this point.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Henrun

We've had an Outback for almost 7 years with minimal problems. We're a 1 car family (living in a city with good public transit helps), so we have low mileage. But 1500 mile car trip in July worked well.

PT today And walked a bit more this morning with less pain.

King of PhotoShop

I know I mentioned Riblet has the Honda CRV and loves it.  I drove to the supermarket the other day and saw it in among the other cars in the employee lot, so when he got home I told him I wanted to give him some advice, although I knew he doesn't like to take advice from his dad.

"Now that you have your own car, I know you will want to protect it and keep it dent-free.  Why not make it a personal rule always to park it against the curb at the end of the lot, rather than between two other cars? You'll minimize the chance of a dent by 50%."

The next day when I went to the market I saw his car at the far end of the lot against the curb. Attaboy!

I drive a Mazda 3.  I love it, and I park as far away as I can in any parking lot.

CNY, I know the answer:  you are a Smiff grad!

Took yesterday off. So great.  Smoked brisket, fresh corn and Texas bbq'd beans with burnt ends for family dinner.

Today was 4.5 easy on the dirt trail.  Spareribs

Dave59

I know you will want to protect it and keep it dent-free.  Why not make it a personal rule always to park it against the curb at the end of the lot, rather than between two other cars? You'll minimize the chance of a dent by 50%."

I drive a Mazda 3.  I love it, and I park as far away as I can in any parking lot.

Am I the only one who thinks RIbs is a little nuts about his aversion to dents?  Joking Undecided

Am I the only one who thinks RIbs is a little nuts about his aversion to dents?  Joking Undecided

No.  Ribs is really dents about his aversion to nuts.

Bill

dup

Tramps

Ribs won't like this.

I had a Ford Ranger for years.  It served us well and was scratched up and dented from hauling lumber, firewood, brush, trash, debris from remodeling, etc, etc.  I sort of liked the fact that it was so beat up that I didn't have to worry about it.  When it finally died, we bought a Toyota Tacoma. It felt weird to drive something that shiny and dent-free.

Not to worry.  Less than two weeks after we bought it, somebody put a three-foot scratch down the side panel while it was parked in a grocery store lot.  Somehow I felt more comfortable with it after that. Smile

Be safe. Be kind.

King of PhotoShop

Ha!  To all of you. I think my suggestion of the year is to have "Like" buttons next to peoples' posts, as they do on FaceBook.  These comments were good.  And Tramps, I know just what you mean.  With an old clunker you never have to worry where you park it, who might hit it and so on.  A bit of freedom in that.  Spareribs

Tammy, nice racing for you and your son with 2nd AG for you and a PR with 3rd OA for your son.  CNY, great 6K race with 2nd AG.  steve, it sounds like you had a good half and great camping.

Nice long runs for evan, wild, Holly, CNY, and Tramps.  Good job on the speedwork for SubDood.

This morning,  I woke up feeling really beat up and totally lacking in energy.  I eventually talked myself into going our for three miles which I did at a 10:34 pace.  It was in the low 70s and there was some wind.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS