Masters Running

My first Marathon - Detroit! (Read 382 times)

Super job, Mary, and as Tammy already noted these first-marathon stories are the best. Even though my first one was pretty much a disaster, it's still the one that I can tell the most stories about. Nice to see you on the course, too, even if I just caught a red/pink flash as you sped by. Like I mentioned in a message to you, many of us remember you as "hopeful45" on CoolRunning, new to running and wondering if you could go more than a few miles. Now look how far you've come! It's also encouraging to hear that you're ready to do another one. But best to stay away from that "maniac" crowd. Wink So 2009... Chicago? Grand Rapids? Hmmm...
    Mary – that was so thoughtful of Doug to move that wall for you! I wish he would do that for my races, too.
    Unfortunately, there's this Buckeye thing that works against you there... Big grin

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Unfortunately, there's this Buckeye thing that works against you there... Big grin
      Yeah - especially after Saturday! Wink All of you are too kind! You are making me all weepy at my desk reading your replies. As for the next one....Milwaukee popped up in conversation. Take fast boat across the lake - it'd be a blast!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
      It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

//scribbling on note pad..."Milwaukee"// Hi Hopeful! You DID it! Not only is your report sweet, but your outfit was super cute! And it sounds like you had wonderful support from the start to the finish, and even at your office! Hearty cheers!

Marathon Maniac #3309

Yeah - especially after Saturday! WinkYou are making me all weepy at my desk reading your replies.
          Your reading these at WORK....well, I've never heard of such a thing Big grin....ok Tim, back to work Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

It's also encouraging to hear that you're ready to do another one. But best to stay away from that "maniac" crowd. Wink Big grin
            Ahem! Mary, you managed to pack smiles all through your report! It was such fun to read and how wonderful to be a little part of your first marathon. Thank you for inviting us to share the magic with you. Now you'll be able to post when we have a "1st marathon" thread for the next RAer. (I'm thinking that having at least one member of your support crew wear a nice bright color, like red [I am partial to red, in case you didn't know Wink] is an excellent tip that I just learned from you!) Now, roch aside, (ok, I give him cred for moving the wall for you), just do one in Nov. and one in Dec and we'll have you looking great in screaming Maniac yellow. Or if not 3 in 90 days, 2 in 16 days........ Congrats! Wear your new jacket with pride. You earned it! grins, A ps: I'm impressed with your goals, and your finishing time. Excellent not chasing after Ashley (what was her time?) and maintaining your pace. You obviously have good insight and ran a well-planned race, plus you didn't give in to the pain of de feet Cool. Greta job. OH, and I like the new avatar!
            Masters 2000 miles
            stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Gee, you've got all that training in the bank--just a 14 day taper and you'd be ready to go Evil grin (Like I know what I'm talking about!) Congrats on the first one, and i don't think you need to think about #2 for a little while. Bask in the glory of finishing. Kevin

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Congratulations, Mary! What a great race report. Hmm, maybe I'll have to do one in 3 years, when I'm your age! It still seems scary, though.
                  Congratulations, Mary. Super race! Thanks for taking the time to share your terrific race report, too! Way to go!! Big grin Big grin Big grin Eliz

flomotioncoaching.com

Oh - I loved this report! Your excitement is palpable. The photos are wonderful, and you look great! Kudos to your support team too - I can tell they had a big impact. But YOU did it! I'm so glad you had a good experience

aka Mrs. WillRunForBeer, MD, USA

Marathoning, the triumph of desire over reason

Jlynne

Congratulations, Mary! You accomplished all your goals for your first marathon! My favorite part of your story? The picture of your DH holding the sign with your name on it. You could just see the pride on his face! You're thinking Milwaukee? Why not come a little further and do the Green Bay marathon next May? If I knew someone else was doing it, I might get motivated to try. Great job, girl!
                        Mary, Congrats...Sorry i have not responded sooner. What a time, what a report. You are a marathoner. I never had a doubt. Very proud of your accomplishment. You deserve this big time. Hopefully we meet someday soon...in a marathon maybe. Tall

Recent Best times: None recently

Tramps

What a fantastic, upbeat first marathon. That’s the way to do it! This race report was a real pleasure to read and the pics were great. Your enthusiasm comes through clearly. You ran well, learned some things, and had a great support crew. Congratulations!

Be safe. Be kind.

Congratulations, Marathon Mary. Even though we haven't met in person, I feel that I know you pretty well going back several years on CR and it's been a thrill to read about your preparation and now your marathon. I've been anxious to read your report and it was worth waiting for. I've only done one marathon and it was real close to the time you posted. I could relate to how you felt, and what you were feeling, along the way. Last year, I did the half at Detroit and the year before I chased my son around as a spectator while he did the full marathon so could picture where you were as you described the race. We even both got to see dg, you during the race and me at the finish of my half. I'm excited and happy for you over your accomplishment. Cherish all the residual aches as they are well earned. TomS
                            wildchild

Carolyn

Way to go, Marathon Mary! That has a nice ring to it, doncha think? My daughter wondered if you needed to show a passport when you crossed into Canada - do they check ID at all? Otherwise seems like a loophole for terrorists to cross the border (OK, they'd have to be very fit, and couldn't carry anything bigger than a water bottle, but still... maybe homeland security should look into it?) Great pictures, too. Sounds like a good experience all around. Hope you're back out there doing magical healing miles very soon!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

evanflein

... It's also encouraging to hear that you're ready to do another one. But best to stay away from that "maniac" crowd.
                                Hey! Angry