Masters Running

Wednesday ~ October 19th (Read 472 times)

Yes, Erika, I know it was in fun and since the chigger thread has taken on a life of its own, I'm enjoying it.  I did ask a serious question the other day with no reply, so I'll try again.  I bet Skip knows the answer.  Or Spareribs.  Or whoever.  Is it a good idea/necessary to use about the same time duration for the recoveries in Yasso 800's?  I know there are different schools of thought on the length of recoveries.  When I did them back in the winter I did 400m recoveries instead of by time.

So, today after work I did my 13-miler.  This was the longest weekday run I've ever done!

Time for some tart cherry juice.  I couldn't find any in the grocery store but did at the new health food store in Norman.  I was getting a couple of free items from coupons they had mailed me, and I felt guilty anyway for not buying anything, when lo and behold there was tart cherry juice right in front of me.  Good timing because I'm obviously training at a higher intensity than ever and it helps with muscle recovery.

"I didn’t run a race until I was 41 and that was a marathon! Let that sink in for a minute." -me

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

During one jogs were were talking about the target pace and I mentioned we should be running them a little faster since we shouldn't really be able to talk during them.  She pointed out I was the only one talking. Roll eyes  

tpuche!

It didn't seem so funny when I had to say the same thing to a young steed 

chatting nonstop a long time ago as we started out a long trail run.

It sure does now.that it's you. 

erika - why don't you take Thanksgiving weekend off and come down here for one or more of the Quadzillas?

When I worked overseas, we used to have to work on U.S. holidays to attend to calls and meetings with our host country equivalents, . . . and on their holidays to be available to everyone working in our sections in the U.S.  However, the foreign country nationals working along side  us got both countries' holidays. Roll eyes

ps (posie too) - there's a local marathon in the Seattle area almost every weekend between now and the end-of-the-year 

thank you and DH again for the golden Equinox photos.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

I did ask a serious question the other day with no reply, so I'll try again.  I bet Skip knows the answer.  Or Spareribs.  Or whoever.  Is it a good idea/necessary to use about the same time duration for the recoveries in Yasso 800's?  I know there are different schools of thought on the length of recoveries.  When I did them back in the winter I did 400m recoveries instead of by time.

Opie - Short answer - Yes.  Long answer - Yasso 800s are based on an equal (or less) recovery time, so if you run the 800 meters in 3:30, then you jog for 3:30 (or less) and repeat the process.  As Ribs likes to point out, the recovery time is really the "interval" not the fast portion.  Since most folks like to be starting each one at the same place on the track, they are typically jogging 400 meters.  Yasso has you start with 4 or 5 of the 800s early in your program and add one each week up to 10.  You should be at 10 three weeks before your marathon, then taper.  These are supposed to be interval training (vice repeats) which implies insufficient recovery - after a few, you should be getting to the starting line for the next one still a bit out of breath.  (This is as opposed to taking a longer time and being fully recovered from the last one before you start the next one. That would be doing Repeats)  If you take a longer recovery, you won't be stressing your aerobic capacity as much and thus won't see the same benefit. It should be a hard workout to do 10 of these.   Yasso says his data indicates these are a good predictor for the marathon.  (Of course others disagree - McMillan says add about 10 minutes.)  You certainly have to be doing the rest of the right things in a marathon training program, like the long runs.

How's that?  Ribs can chime in with some more details I'm sure.  He may have chatted with Bart Yasso about it sometime.

Skip

OrangeMat

MM #6177

Since it was a Wednesday question, I'm continuing here... Skip, I finally looked back at the workout description that was posted online. I was totally mistaken, they were 200m intervals, not 400m. Not sure where I got that information from... so anyway, you think I still did them too fast, considering my current race paces?

And oh, I was serious, I think I'd really like for you to be my coach! Smile