Masters Running

Memorial Day 5-25-15 (Read 35 times)

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

I hope you don't mind that I share a post by my son, Mikey, from Facebook...

Tonight I am reminded of how lucky I am to be a father, a husband, a brother, and a son. Most importantly, I am reminded of how lucky I am to be alive.

Memorial Day reminds me, personally, of events that took place 8 years ago. For me, this day is about those members of the 4th Brigade Combat Team 25th Infantry Division who never returned home to their fathers, mothers, husbands, wives, sons, daughters, brothers, sisters, nephews, nieces...

My brothers and sisters will spend this day in many different ways. I will spend it remembering those who gave more than anyone should have to in service to others.

This post is not about wallowing, pity, shame, guilt, or helplessness. It's about remembrance.

Before you thank a veteran for their service, or an active serviceman or servicewoman for theirs, please remember that tomorrow is about those men and women who gave their lives in service to this nation. We have other days on the calendar to honor those who have 'served' or are 'serving.' Tomorrow is about those whose service was the last thing they ever did.

This post is just my thoughts and feelings about Memorial Day. No politics, no pretense, no agenda, no left-wing/right-wing non-sense, no bullshit. Just remembrance.

For some of us, damn few, remembrance occurs daily. Some of us remember because of sounds in a room, smells in a restaurant, places we visit, people we spend time with, and pictures on walls. Some of us remember constantly.

To those families living with the loss of a loved one due to service in this nation's armed conflicts - I say, "I'm sorry for your loss and thank you for your sacrifice." From the bottom of my heart, "Thank you."

I can't imagine what it must be like, for those left behind, to endure each day without the presence of the serviceman or servicewoman they loved so much.

I look at my girls, asleep in their cribs, and am reminded how lucky I am to be alive on this day - and every other.

Please do not "Like" or "Comment" to this post. Instead, think about a family you know who has had to endure the cost of their loved one making the ultimate sacrifice and extend your gratitude.

"Always Forward" and "Sparta Lives!"

Marathon Maniac #957

Powerfully said, Mike.

On my run this morning I passed a ceremony happening in a local cemetery.  There were rifle shots and bagpipes playing, and I wanted to stay and watch, but felt that a local runner joining in would likely be an intrusion.

7 miles for me today in 71 degrees.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Powerful words indeed, Mike.  Thanks for sharing that.

Ran 5 dreadmill miles this morning since thunderstorms were threatening, including 4 at what I'm hoping will be marathon pace.  Aside from a wee bit of tightness in the hamstring that I'll need to work on, I was quite pleased at how comfortable it felt.  Guess the speed work is beginning to do what it's supposed to.

.....Nancy The road to hell is paved....... run trails!

Mariposai

Thanks for sharing this MikeE. It sure changed my perspective of the meaning of Memorial Day.

I was thinking to run today, but then I decided to take the day off since I have pushed myself this weekend and a rest day is needed. Time to go and play in the dirt, my favorite pass time. I am really behind my garden work.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

King of PhotoShop

Solid post Mike.  Thoughtful.

TC, you have already decided not to run Boston next year?  Why not consider doing it off pace just for the experience.  It's a memory.

Clean sweep Aamos!  How 'bout them Rangers?

High dew point today of 70, very little rain but tough running.  The flooding receded enough to allow us to get in 4 slow miles in the park. Mosquitoes having a field day out there.

My boys will join us for dinner and I'll just grill a chicken outside, simple fare.  Have a thoughtful day everyone.  Spareribs

Have a thoughtful day everyone. 

Thoughtful indeed. A very moving post Mike. Thank you to Mikey for his service to our country. We met DS#1, DIL and Will, Ben and Nicholas at a local Memorial Day parade this morning. There were several WWII veterans on a flatbed trailer, some standing but most now confined to wheelchairs. One gentleman was wearing his Army uniform, holding an American flag and waving to all of the bystanders. There was also a Harley being pulled on a trailer behind a truck. Draped over the seat was a combat uniform of the owner of the Harley who died in Iraq. Powerful pictures. Ones I hope I can remember.

Congrats to Twocat, Karin, Kevin and all those on their fine races yesterday.  I finished 4th in my AG, which has everyone over the age of 60 lumped into the "60 and over" category. At age 71, my sister used to grouse about being in the same age group as me, and every year would complain to the RD to "tighten up" the age groups a little.  I'm going to have to carry on her fight. She would want me to do that

2 miles this morning in a run cut short by rain and high winds.

Tonight I am reminded of how lucky I am to be a father, a husband, a brother, and a son. Most importantly, I am reminded of how lucky I am to be alive.

Memorial Day reminds me, personally, of events that took place 8 years ago. For me, this day is about those members of the 4th Brigade Combat Team 25th Infantry Division who never returned home to their fathers, mothers, husbands, wives, sons, daughters, brothers, sisters, nephews, nieces...

My brothers and sisters will spend this day in many different ways. I will spend it remembering those who gave more than anyone should have to in service to others.

This post is not about wallowing, pity, shame, guilt, or helplessness. It's about remembrance.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Thanks so much for sharing this - very poignant

Yeah to our racers - Twocat, Karin, Kevin and Amy!

Started the day with a yoga class to right the wrongs - got in some frisbee with Little Walter and then a solo run. Nice to have the day off to get all of my fun in - now for some birthday cake outside with friends.

Kirsten

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

Groucho Marx

Thanks Mike for sharing your son's powerful post!

Congrats to all the racers this weekend!

I was away on retreat from Thurs am (after 5:30 spin class and a quick mile on the treadmill) until Sunday morning - then went to visit my in-laws on the Cape and on my way home stopped to visit my friend Liz and her family. Her new baby has the 1st case of true mosaic Down's Syndrome the geneticist has seen in his 35 year career! Baby Josie has DS in only 25% of her blood cells. She has minimal external markers and only a minimal amount of poor tone. Exactly what this means for her future we don't know at this point, but with early intervention and the strength and love of her family and friends she is certain to be a joy to all and reach her full potential. I am honored they asked me to be her godmother!!

Today 50.2 mile bike ride -- the .2 was sheer coincidence this time. I was fortunate to receive help from a good samaritan who helped me change a flat tire about halfway thru my ride. Next time I should be able to do it on my own and hope to pay this forward! About 3-4 miles before this happened I bumped in to my son who was out on his 100 mile ride!! After the ride, I came in changed into sneakers and ran 3.2 easy miles to get in a little brick workout! (this .2 was no coincidence) My foot is still not happy with me, but I have reached the point where it's time to suck it up buttercup!!

Now - going to read back and see what I missed over the weekend.

Safe travels to all!!

denise

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Thoughtful indeed. A very moving post Mike. Thank you to Mikey for his service to our country.

me too.

We met DS#1, DIL and Will, Ben and Nicholas at a local Memorial Day parade this morning. There were several WWII veterans on a flatbed trailer, some standing but most now confined to wheelchairs. One gentleman was wearing his Army uniform, holding an American flag and waving to all of the bystanders. There was also a Harley being pulled on a trailer behind a truck. Draped over the seat was a combat uniform of the owner of the Harley who died in Iraq. Powerful pictures. Ones I hope I can remember.

very envious of Memorial Day Parades.  A nearby town has a Veteran's Day Parade in November but there's nothing in Seattle except a cemetery memorial with thousands of flags that help a little but, like Independence Day, no parade, no radio special interviews, no patriotic music, so I'm getting into my Memorial Day remembrances from every one here.

Today 50.2 mile bike ride

shouldn't that be 56 miles?

TC, you have already decided not to run Boston next year?  Why not consider doing it off pace just for the experience.  It's a memory.

Post of the century.

and I bet you'd be an inspiration along the way to others who might be struggling.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello again!

I started my training for the National Senior Games 1500, today.  I am doing the 10k, too, but the 1500 is what I am focusing on.  I went to the track to do a 1500 time trial to see where I'm at...and found out I am not even close to where I want to be.  I pushed pretty hard to get a 5:19.05.  That will get me nothing at the Senior Games.  But...I guess that's what the training is for. 

After the run, I went to Grandma's house and worked a little bit, came home and mowed the lawn, then threw some burgers on the grill.  While eating, I made the mistake of reading some work emails...a project that I thought was delayed is up and running and I have very little time to get my part done...which is the part that needs to be done before anybody else can get their part done.  But--that is tomorrow's worries...tonight...I'm having a couple...or three...or four...

Okay--that's it--gotta go!  See ya!

evanflein

I've had 4 days off, and have gotten a lot done. But of course, I didn't get everything on my "list" done. So... feeling a little melancholy about going back to work tomorrow. Just one more day, I keep saying. But, nothing is "late" for the garden since Memorial Day was a little earlier this year than in many years. Around here, the saying is don't plant till June 1 because of dangers of frost, but this has been such a warm spring, it feels like I'm behind schedule already! So... just need to finish some planting since most all the prep work is done, and that's the hard part anyway.

Got out for a 6.1 mile run late this afternoon. Kept the pace kind of easy since my legs are still tired from the 15.5 miles yesterday, and then hours of garden prep work. This is the time of year when it's light almost all the time and it's hard to know when to wind down and go to bed.

SteveP

Very powerful, MikeE. Chip off the ol' block.

I've paused for something similar, Holly. It happens on TV and in the movies often, so it must be OK.

JLynne, you're a delight.

This morning, before the hustle and bustle, I spent in quiet reflection of the blessings I can enjoy because other have given their all. Simply typing it is bringing a tear to my eye.

We're bagging the garden this year.

Our oldest grandson, Noah has had the flu. So Tag and I did a mile and a quarter warm up run to today's 5K color run. I was surprised when SIL and Noah passed us. We get to registration and Naoh was ready to go!

Tag and I start around the block so his excitement doesn't disturb others.

About 1/2 through, the little dude was mentioning stomach pains. He said it may be from too many colors. I accidently broke his parents' rule about an assist. Since it was a fun run with no awards, I accidently didn't think there would be any harm. I don't think it was quite a mile, but I had extra baggage.

Until we got back into the city.

SteveP