Masters Running

Monday, October 6 Runs and Smiles and Whatever (Read 490 times)

9 miles cross-country at about 9:00 mile pace. Golden late afternoon sun, 50s temperature, and beautiful foliage, with yellow leaves blanketing the path and even falling on me as I ran. Now my knees and hips are sore: I should probably limit my cross-country running, though I do love it. Cross-country is how I got my start. Dark Horse
    I'm a dark horse, running on a dark race course.
      Dark Horse-Tell the truth...you really got your start by jumping out the girls window,then cross-country!!!
      Looking for a place to Happen, making stops along the way - The Hip
        Dark Horse-Tell the truth...you really got your start by jumping out the girls window,then cross-country!!!
        She told me her parents would be home late! Surprised Dark Horse
        I'm a dark horse, running on a dark race course.
          Henrun – I’m really looking forward to NY this year, especially so now that I have that sub 3:20 monkey off my back. And to make it even better my running bud Brian will be running with me…so depending on how my recovery goes who knows? Everyday – Thanks for paying attention to my training etc. it sure is fun watching our “virtual” friends isn’t it? Jay – Thanks my friend, it’s always good to hear from you! Biketm – Thanks Tim, I can’t wait to read your first marathon race report, you are on target for a huge run big guy, I hope everything falls into place for you as it did for me yesterday. Ksrunr – Thanks my man, now let’s see if I can get another step closer to your smoking fast times! Dark Horse – Thanks DH, you are so very right…I was very lucky to have had Karl’s company for so long, although would really have liked to have had him along for those final 9 miles (a little selfish I know) and I was just as surprised to see that he was able to hang tough and finish just over a minute behind me. He was pretty impressive for a first marathoner! WRFB – Thanks Lou, as I have mentioned already having Karl along for the ride most definitely helped us both. Rochrunner – Thanks Doug, and to be truthful I don’t really know what I have left in me. But I do believe that I have a fair amount more waiting to be tapped. As my friend Joel says “don’t set an end goal, just keep raising the bar” and that is what I’m doing. I guess 3:15 is the next most obvious goal though, not sure if that will happen in NY, but my previous PR of 3:26:59 came two years ago at Bay State just two weeks after I had run Maine…hmmmmm! Tramps – Thanks bud, but a box of donut holes…oh that just wouldn’t be good…well I’m sure they would taste good but I just couldn’t do a whole box! Maybe I can find someone who wants a box and I could grab just a couple. Arf – It really is a great feeling to feel so good at the end isn’t it. Wildchild – Thanks Carolyn, and it really is fun to run a “fast” marathon although I have to remember as we all do that “fast” is relative! Nonoruns – Thanks a bunch, I always find it easier to remember the good runs! Enke – Thanks enke, as I just said it’s easier to remember the good runs when you aren’t constantly fighting the pain etc. Jim24315 – I am so hoping that you are right and that this is a sign of things to come. This damned marathon has been a tough cookie to get a firm grasp of, but I think I am finally getting the hang of it after 15! We’ll see what number 16 brings…at least no there is no pressure and if I don’t feel I’m recovered enough I’ll shut it down and enjoy the sights….I know easier said than done, but I can do it! SkipAZ – Thanks Skip, I did forget to mention that I placed 5th in AG didn’t I. Boy breaking 3:15 at NY sure would be icing on the cake wouldn’t it! Stumpy77 – Thanks big guy, I still remember meeting you on the bus on the way to pick up my number at Boston last year. Hopefully we’ll meet again sometime soon. Holly – Thanks Holly, it sure is good to see you running well again too. TheJogger – Thanks Roy – the phone call wasn’t easy and not something I do very often. But I wanted to be sure my DW was there for me at the finish (and she was)! Amos – OK where the heck have I been??? I can’t believe you ran this race and I didn’t get to meet you. I must have been asleep or something because I never even realized you were running this one…then I saw your name in the paper this morning and I was surprised…I guess I should have figured it out…DUH! Hopeful4ever – Thanks Mary…keep it up you too are doing very well indeed. Teresadfp – Thanks so much Teresa, now your son is one fast dude. Hopefully I’ll get to see him run someday soon. DickyG – Thanks Dick, and by the way I got my lawn and field mowed today after I power washed the backside of my house today (that side tends to get a little mildew). MrPHinNJ – Thanks Spud, and yeah that is indeed a 7:22 PR Smile! Tselbs – Thanks Tom I appreciate it. Tallrunner – Thanks Tall, and you are right it sure is nice to keep setting those PRs especially at the marathon distance. I hope I didn't foreget anyone, thank you all so much for all your good words you are all the best! Big grin