Masters Running

Tick Taco Tuesday, 12.5.23 (Read 38 times)

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

And now I wonder why research has even been done regarding gender and medical practitioners.

I mean, I get that we shouldn't prejudge someone due to their gender. And I truly believe everyone is capable of empathy.

And I also wonder how a young person who has never had to choose a healthcare provider makes that decision?

What resources can they use if looking at data sets or research isn't appropriate?

How does one discern this? Through patient reviews? I don't really trust these too much because they seem over solicited by the providers.

To me, it's a complex issue.

And.

The more I think about this, the more complicated it gets in my mind. Because. If one moves to a different city, one must begin the search for a new healthcare provider.

How does one do this? It is daunting.

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

54°

1.8 dog walking miles

Pleasant afternoon in the swamp

Lots of sniffing

Lots of mallards

One majestic heron

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

In my psychiatric practice I attempted to empathize with all my patients. It really comes down to your relationship with each individual rather than dealing with a large data base.

Henry - very well said and very, very true

If one moves to a different city, one must begin the search for a new healthcare provider.

How does one do this? It is daunting.

RCG - or if your PCP retires as mine did in 2016 and it took hit-and-miss with several duds whose main relationship seemed to be seeing as many patients as possible with as little relationship as possible until finally hitting up one who seemed to care.  Same with dentist's retirement the same year but worse and optometrists that were bad too until finding one who cared.  Funny, though, how all the doctors, dentists and optometrists in the smaller towns than Seattle we've lived in were all excellent.  Hmmm, maybe I'm just a bad patient. However,  you can be sure I'll be on my best behavior the day after tomorrow.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

BTY

Great work on your recovery from surgery, Jay.

Interesting theme to today's discussion.

I swam at the "other" YMCA pool this morning.  I was supposed to do 2 x 100 Individual Medley (IM) as a main set, but I won;'t do them (or any butterfly at all) when I'm sharing a lane.   I shared a lane for the first 1600 yards, and then my lane partner left. I had the lane to myself for about 800 yards, and then was supposed to do the IM, but - Hallelujah, a guy asked to share my lane just before I was supposed to start the IM's.   So I did a different main set instead.  2 sets of 4 x 50 yard slow/fast repeats.  (25 "slow", 25 sprint). I ran out of time as I had an audiology appointment which tightened up my schedule, so I finished at 299.7 miles for the year.  I have tomorrow as an "off" day and then will swim on Thursday and cross the finish line near the beginning of the workout.

When  I moved to TN in 2006 I had to get all new everything- doctors, dentist, etc.  I asked people and got recommendations.  In 2007 I felt the need to switch out my endocrinologist.  I asked a bunch of people.  I needed someone who appreciated all the physical activity I was doing and who understood the drawbacks of many of the osteoporosis meds.  There is usually "THE" person, and the more I asked around, all signs pointed to one woman and I am still seeing her.  She is one of the tops in the field (and is at Vanderbilt, of course) AND is a distance runner.  Whew!  We are fortunate here to have the Vanderbilt network and a few other good networks.  There really haven't been many duds that I've heard about.  Sports docs can be trickier- as we all know.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

wildchild

Carolyn

Interesting discussion today, as always!

Holly, cute pictures!  I was also wondering how she does anything with those nails?

DH and I have both had to change doctors for a number of reasons over the years .  It's frustrating when you find a doctor you like and then  they retire or move, or they're no longer in our insurance network.

It was warmish (40s) and breezy, and I ran 7.5 miles in screw shoes, in very mixed conditions - about half bare dirt, and half snow.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

bioguy

My daughter Sarah is an ob/gyn and said there were no men in her cohort. Perhaps as that trend continues there will be more consideration for patients. Conversely, a male urologist who performed my vasectomy 30 odd years ago, numbed me with a local, then held some sensitive anatomy and said, "I could make you do anything right now".

How's that for bedside manner?

I went to the Y after school and did my 30 minute treadmill walk at a 12% incline at 3mph.

It's frustrating when you find a doctor you like and then  they retire or move, or they're no longer in our insurance network.

This.

I had 2 wonderful, caring older white male doctors as primary care for a couple years, and they both retired! Honestly, I think they were good because of the number of years they'd been in practice, AND they were at the network that had 20 minute appointments. So I went back to my (poorly rated per internet) female doctor who would ask me the same rote questions each year. "Do you eat 4 servings of dairy a day or take a calcium supplement? Do you wear sunscreen?" blah blah blah. The exact same questions, every friggin year. I recently got the guts (thinking I might hurt her feelings) to switch away from her to another network and have a nurse-practitioner now who says things like "I hear what you are saying and that this is important to you". She's clearly been trained in validating a patient's concerns - I found it...obvious and a bit comical, but I appreciate it.

TMI, but one of my fertility doctors, a man, was taking my history etc, and on the history it clearly said I was there for IVF because both of my fallopian tubes were blocked (one had even been surgically removed after an ectopic), so zero chance of pregnancy the 'normal' way. He asked me "how many times a week do you and your husband have sex?". Not only did that question seem invasive, but I immediately told him it was irrelevant, because I can't get pregnant that way. He was reading down his list of questions on autopilot, and not thinking. To his credit, he apologized profusely.

No run today, haven't even stepped outside. It's that dark and rainy!

Bio..... LOL!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Finally found some time to run.

4.5 miles, ez feel but higher HR again, as seems to be normal when I only run once every week or two. About 40:00.

Stopped by a place here there's a gate onto City property against a hill, where the "dirt 400m track" is. Someone reported a car encampment springing up and I wanted to see. Yep, a van and broken down RV, trash everywhere. On NextDoor someone said the City has already told them to move and their supposed to be out of there tonight. I bet they don't take all their trash.

It is surprisingly nice here, shirtless running weather, probably about 70 along the Bay.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

TammyinGP

bio - that sort of statement by your doc shocked me. I do realize that awareness of ones words weren't quite on the radar decades ago like they are now, but if a doc said anything like that nowadays to either a female OR male patient, especially in a vulnerable position, that is just awful and would most certainly call for sensitivity training/sexual harassment training

I think we still see a lot of double standards these days with things that can be said to or about a male and it barely gets a second thought, but those same words said to a female and you'd have people in an uproar. 

another busy day as I try to get a lot of things done before potentially being out of the office all next week should I serve on a jury.  I did get out on my lunch hour though and bought a couple Christmas gifts. Went to the mall near my work and noticed how absolutely dead it was there. Santa sitting there alone with his elves. no kids around. hardly any cars parked in the lot. Malls are certainly dying. 

tomorrow is my last day 'cat sitting' for my neighbors. I go over to their house every morning and evening and after twice a day for 5 days now, I'm so done!  One more day. i can do it. 

Tammy

SteveP

There's no keeping Jay down!

Holly - I love the Hallmark pictures.

I love it up there. With my father-in-law's failing health I don't see making it up there this winter. Cindy handles everything with her father but I can't take off and leave her with no support (especially in the winter.)

Your priorities are well placed.

Tramps - I'm willing to bet the picture is not filtered but has an extended exposure.  All I saw were soft hues when I went out and the pictures from the phone showed nothing but black.

That was an interesting article.  If there were a virus which caused male erectile dysfunction, there would be a panic and $$$$ into making a cure.

I may panic if my PCP moved.

I got a mile on the mill then the PT.  DW went to MIL's after work to paint the cleared-out bedroom.  After work, I cleaned the kitchen.

SteveP