Masters Running

Turkey Day 10K Race Report (Read 34 times)

35th Turkey Day 10K, Worthington, MN

History: The annual “King Turkey Days” celebration originated 75 years ago and was actually founded by grandfather, the son of a Sweedish immigrant who became an entrepreneur and philanthropist.  He founded the Worthington Creamery and Produce Company in 1911 and introduced turkey farming to the region in 1920’s. He left a legacy of parks and water projects that has benefited this town immeasurably.

King Turkey Days is held every year and we have an ongoing contest with Cuero, Texas who also claim to be the Turkey Capital of the World. They bring their turkey up here to race our turkey, then in October we take “Paycheck” (thusly named because he goes so fast) to Texas to race again. Lots of hoopla, food, beer and a parade that is way too long. Enough about that nonsense. If you are interested, the web site is here. http://www.kingturkeyday.net/history.html

The Event:  The race was organized 35 years ago by a group of local runners. There is usually around 500 runners. The route is basically the same; down 10th Street (Main Street), around the lake, then back down 10th Street again to the finish chute.  I run the lake routinely, but never down Main Street, I’d feel a bit foolish doing that . There are three men who have run every single race.

Another interesting story was in the Globe after the race about three motorcycle accident survivors, two of them life-threatening, and overcame serious injuries to run the race. Two of them are actually the 35 year race veterans.

http://www.dglobe.com/content/running-motorcycle-accident-survivors-run-tall-10k

Weather: Temps can range from near freezing, to rain, to sweltering heat.  This year it was 43° at the start with winds at just 10mph.

The Race: The Turkey Day 10K was my very first 10K and is my PR (1:02:51). My dream is to break that PR but this year I just wanted to beat my time from 2012 (1:12:59).  I rarely race, heck I rarely run some months, but I plan to keep doing this one for as long as I can since the age groups are getting slimmer. There were only 8 women older than me this year but three of them ran sub 10 m/m.  Speaking of getting slimmer, it was a joy to run without all that extra baggage. I am sure that dropping 45 pounds has had some impact on my speed.

I didn’t train specifically for the 10K, but was training instead for the half marathon in Sioux Falls, SD on September 7th. At that race I was aiming for 12:00 m/m and finished at 11:50 with energy left over.

The race starts at 10:30 and by then it had warmed up to 48° by then after a low of 36°. There is a lot of energy at the start with the music and the crowds. I skipped that part and arrived just in time to warm up. I wore the same tank and capri tights that I wore in Sioux Falls.

I lined up towards the back of the 482 runners and we were off. There is huge crowd support all along the route but especially downtown. I stayed with the pack and clocked a 10 minute mile, then slowed down to a medium hard pace for me for the rest of the race. My tempo runs were at 11:15 and I was doing way better than that. With the cool weather I knew I wouldn’t need the water stops so skipped them and passed a few people there.

I was looking for someone in my age group to pass but couldn’t find anyone. I settled for Midg, one of the motorcycle survivor and race veteran. We played leap frog back and forth for a few miles. I was getting tired when during mile 5 going past my house. MrStarr took this photo of Me and My House (I had to crop Midg out but his shadow is there).

When Midg passed me just after that I got my 2nd wind and passed him back. I was determined to stay ahead of him the rest of the race and I did! They do a great job of announcing names as people approach the finish chute. The crowd is so amazing cheering for everyone. Back where I am the runners are spaced apart quite a bit and I felt like I was running alone down that final stretch. I had a mix of Aerosmith, The Doobie Brothers and Journey to listen to. I was happy to finish with a 10:59 pace and almost 5 minutes faster than two years ago.

I am looking forward to another race this month, the Stillwater Log Run 10 Mile on September 26th.  I have been running for ten years now and am so glad that I found the "Couch-to 5K" program online, found Cool Running, and have continued to meet new friends here at RA.  I fondly remember those years at CR and now I actually attend a CR and am where I am today because of Celebrate Recovery.

RACE SUMMARY:     482 Finished (236 Men, 246 Women)

My Stats:

1:08:12

10:59 pace

AHR = 155, MHR = 167

427/482 Overall

9/10 AG

My splits and HR:

Mile 1 - 10:01 (149)

Mile 2 - 10:47 (154)

Mile 3 - 11:11 (155)

Mile 4 - 10:56 (156)

Mile 5 - 10:52 (156)

Mile 6 - 11:00 (157)

last .2 - 2:13 (164) (10:56 pace)

Trivia:

• OA winner 31:04
    • 1st female 34:56 (new course record)
    • There were only 8 women older than me in the race
    • 3 people have run all 35 consecutive races

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

Mike E

MM #5615

Very nice report, Starr!  You should be very proud of everything you have accomplished.  You look so good in that picture...its no wonder you got whistled at the other day.  I am going to have to come down and do that race sometime...maybe next year.

Mariposai

Very nice report, Starr!  You should be very proud of everything you have accomplished.  You look so good in that picture...its no wonder you got whistled at the other day.  I am going to have to come down and do that race sometime...maybe next year.

Yes, you look terrific!!!

Heck... I have never gotten a whistled at...great going sistahhh

You are doing a terrifc job with your fitness and runner!

Keep inspiring us all.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

wildchild

Carolyn

Congrats, Starr!  Love the picture!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Marathon Maniac #957

Starr - King Turkey Days sounds like a lot of fun, as does this race.  Your house is lovely, btw, and right on the lake - sweet!  You have done an amazing job at your weightloss, and now it is really showing in your running - you are doing so well!  Great race and report!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

What a perfect race in so many respects,

not just about running too..

Good luck in keepin the sub-11 streak

going in tomorrow's 10-miler on 9/27

(I had to check with ilene to confirm date though)

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

evanflein

Love the story behind the race, love the house on the lake, love that you are having so much success in life lately and love this race report with a great picture! You are so right in that your weight loss is helping your speed, and running in general. Pretty cool about the guys who have run all 35 of these races. That's quite a record.

BlazinCajun

Thanks for sharing this race report with us. I enjoyed reading about the history and about the survivors consecutive races. You did a really good job pacing with a nice sub-11:00 pace. Looks like a wonderful place to live right on the lake. Great job with your commitment to staying fit and feeling good about yourself. Keep it up!

Andrew
                  ------------------
                  God, my Lord, is my strength;
                  he makes my feet swift as those of hinds
                  and enables me to go upon the heights.
                  Hb 3:19

coastwalker

Hi Starr,

Thanks for the terrific RR, and a big CONGRATS! on running a great race and blasting through your time from '12!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

lamerunner

Well done. Starr, and very nice report! Sounds like a fun event. and great to live on a lake.

Great race, Starr! You do look great and you're right about getting faster as you get lighter, Heck, I noticed it when I lost just 10 lbs or so shortly after my retirement a few years ago.

And I'm glad you explained "Turkey Day." We saw something about that race in the local paper when we stayed overnight in Worthington on the 18th. My wife pointed it out and I said something like "Shouldn't that be closer to Thanksgiving, aka Turkey Day?" (although I don't care for that expression). So it really is all about turkeys.

Can't wait to see where this takes you in the future!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"