Masters Running

veterans memorial 11k (Read 216 times)

what a glorious day!! started off with 9am mass then over to Stoneham to run the Veterans Memorial 11k!! I almost didn't run this race because I thought it was 11miles and I havent been up to that distance in quite awhile so imagine how thrilled i was when i came home from my church retreat and saw this posted on my running group site and realized it was an 11k instead!! The race started at 11:11 today 11/11 and was an 11k - so cool -- also the free t-shirts had a picture of a red rose on it with a helmet -- the retreat i was on this weekend also used a red rose as its symbol - how cool!! I registered this morning and shortly after found a friend from town I was hoping to see and then saw Henry and Marj!! So fun!! I went into the race just hoping to feel good, run strong and remember our veterans with pride!! The sun was shining bright, temp was in the mid-40's and at times the wind was quite strong but still a beautiful day!! I ran a couple of miles with a woman from the Shamrock running club then she picked up her pace and I stayed at mine and even slowed down a bit -- my first 2 miles were 8:40 and 8:43 much faster than i should have been running for that distance with little mileage the last few weeks!! Later I ran alongside another woman for awhile - so fun to chat a little as you run. I waited after I finished to see Henry and Marj finish -- Marj didn't race today but ran along with Henry but that's their story to tell -- so cute to see them finish with a kiss!! Wink I don't know all my stats because i can't seem to get my garrmin to download right now and the results aren't up on cool running for place stats yet, but basically it was 6.85 miles in 1:02:37 for an avg pace of 9:09!! oh ya -- red MVS running singlet with white underarmour short sleeve under it -- blue capri length running pants - wish i had on my flag earrings but at least i had on red, white and blue!! Very happy with that - now off to PT!

denise

Marathon Maniac #957

Great fun! Nice pace, too!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Henrun

deez - thanks for staying out in the bitter cold to cheer us on at the end - it was a fun race! marj
        SteveP

How Cool!!!!! What a peppy RR!! Thanks

SteveP

Mariposai

Great fun, great read and great time. WTG girl!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

evanflein

What a delightful RR! Your enthusiasm really shines through on this, Denise. Congratulations on a nice run on a beautiful day. Henry and Marj... bitter cold? Were you at the same race? Wink
                Obviously a fun time. Nice work. Races are always fun! And must have been a treat to see Marj and Henry.
                Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
                  Sounds like a really fun run Denise, and for you to hang around and wait for Marj and Henrun was really special and I am sure they appreciated it. Very appropriate for an 11K on 11/11 at 11:11 and I also love the Red Rose and Helmet, very cool. Big grin You ran a great race and enjoyed yourself, what could be better?
                  coastwalker

what a glorious day!!
                    It seems that sums it up quite nicely. Congrats on doing a find job of honoring our vets, and for having a fun race. Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Way to go Denise and nice pace too! What are your race plans for the next months? It would be great to see you again. Karin
                      DickyG

What an inspirational post! 11K...11/11...11:11 start time.. Meeting up with Henry & Marj... Great temps with sunshine... Extra great tees... And a great pace to boot! Made my day...thanks. DickyG
                          deez, that was a nice report about what sounds like a great race. A race to honor veterans, seeing marj and henrun, and having a speedy race does make for a glorious day. Congratulations. TomS
                          Tramps

Solid pace and, obviously, a fun day for you. Congrats!

Be safe. Be kind.

The race was a great idea, I wish there was one in my area. The race shirt sounds very nice. Nice race & fashion report Dee Big grin Glad you enjoyed!

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.