Masters Running

Saturday, 6.6.15 (Read 31 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

Okay, I survived my 6th running of Another Dam 50K! The weather was about as good as you could ask for re: June in southern Ohio - 68 degrees to start, upper 70's at the end, and mostly cloudy.  And since it has been several days since we have had rain, the trails were not muddy.   I did manage to take a wrong turn on the first loop and add almost an extra mile (how can I miss turns when I have run this 6 times?), and missed another turn on the last loop, but fortunately caught it quickly.  My finishing time was roughly 6:33, which would have been about 6:23 or thereabouts if I had not missed the turn on the first loop, and I am okay with that, given the givens.  Especially since I had to stop to feed the baby at mile 17 while my husband held the dog. 

It was fun meeting up and running with some of  the other ladies on our team, and while I am pretty tuckered out and pretty much everything hurts, nothing in particular hurts, so I consider it a success.

Here's a shot of my friend Carissa and I goofing off at the start.

And here's one of me sprinting in to the finish (both feet off the ground!)  Obviously if I had that much left at the finish, I didn't leave it all on the course...

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

evanflein

... Especially since I had to stop to feed the baby at mile 17 while my husband held the dog. 

Snork! Greta job, Holly! Love the pictures and the sprint to the finish!

Deez! Glad you're ok! Inattentive drivers are bad enough, but the driver just kept going? Incredible...

Nice race, Tall! I've never done a sub-20 5k so that looks like a VERY fast time to me! But I know how it feels to think of having your PRs or even strong times in the rearview mirror. But hey, you're back out there running!

Nice 5k for you, too, Roch. That's a big age group. I'm glad most all the races around here have gone to the 5 year age bands.

Mariposai's pizza looked yummy. I had dinner with a friend in Anchorage and she made pizza that was really good. She insisted it was really easy, so I've asked for the recipe and steps she takes to put it together. She has yet to send it though...

Got my haircut this morning, then did errands and shopping. Scored a great deal on a patio set for our deck that we'd been looking at. It was out of stock last week but they had more, and I used a 20% coupon I had from my rewards card, and the store 10% off coupon and it was on sale to start with. Got it almost half price! Woot! I love a good deal, and now we can have dinner on the deck without balancing plates on our laps! Heading out now for a run, probably only 7-8 miles or so.

wildchild

Carolyn

Congrats to our racers Holly, Tall, and Roch!   Greta pictures,  Holly!

Deez, yikes!  Glad you're okay.  Too bad you didn't get the license plate number - I'd report that guy.

I had a great 21 mile trail run today, with my ultra group.  It was a big group today - 20+ people!  We ran several of the peaks to the west of Boulder - Mt. Sanitas, Flagstaff Mt,  Green Mt, and Bear Peak.  Great views all the way.   I didn't quite mean to run that far, since I have a trail marathon next weekend, but I did cut the run a bit shorter than the 27 miles planned by the group!   One other woman wanted to cut the run short, so I made a new friend and had someone to run back with.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

King of PhotoShop

I love Holly!

Hope the dog and baby are fine.  Nice race, and thanks.  Spareribs

Sayhey! MM#130

Hiya. ?..just typed out a long post that my tablet ate, hope it's full now.

great running, photos and peeps!

Will try again tomorrow.

Still grinning,

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Marathon Maniac #957

I have to tell you the story of the 2nd picture.  That nice man, Paul, and I had been playing leap frog the entire race, and in fact, he followed me off course in the first loop.  He had gotten a bit ahead of me in the 3rd loop, and I saw him coming at me when I was running in and said, "I'll catch up in a while!"  This was me sprinting in at the finish, finally passing him again, and as I passed, I said, "I told you I'd catch up in a bit!"  We both laughed about it afterward.

Trail runners are such a nice group, by and large. 

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Deez - it's even worse in Seattle and that's why my now 84-yo IM mentor limits his bike training to a stationary bike at with views of the Kona course and why I don't even train. Fortunately,  we can go full cycling laid out on the aerobars up to 50mph or more down even the steepest hills on the police-monitored cycling coures in annual triathlons that are just as safe as when they cleared the slopes for our downhill ski races in those days, . . . sometimes, . . we hope.  You are a very careful rider.  Good for you.

Hun? Holly had a baby and Tall's getting younger?
                I love the six year taper though
                I guess mine haven’t been long enough after all.

Green River Marathon

I didn’t know who else was going to be at the remedial 5:30 a.m. start (8am-regular / 7am - early / 6am - superearly) in today's freebie Green River Marathon but it turned out to be a 25th reunion of my 1990 Seattle Goodwill Games Marathon with now 83-yo Marvelous Mel in his 428th marathon today (only 53 back then, but at 3:09) and 10-time 50-stater Italiano Franko (68yo) in no. 665 (48 in 1990) to my measly 185 (#23 in 1990 / 4:07).
                Under cloudless skies with Mt. Rainier as a backdrop, though today’s temps climbed up to 84 degrees by the time we were finishing around 1pm/1:30pm (me) and 2pm, respectively, none of us complained. You see, it had been 97-degrees in 1990.
                What a difference 25 years makes otherwise too.
                As per rochie’s friends, and my father’s characterization of my last one at 3:59:18 in 2002, we were all three hour marathoners in those days as our combined time in 1990 was only 10.5 hours then compared to 21.5 hours this year.

However, compared to others dear friends from those days we reminisced over who either aren’t able to run anymore or aren’t even here anymore, we all consider ourselves very lucky.  No wonder I love running so much.

I was so tired and rateful at the finish, forgot to look where I was running and stumbled in out-of-control into the arms of the RD who save me from a nasty landing on the pavement.  Last time that happened was with famed IM RD Valerie Silk in 1987,  . . . and there was no mistake about it. Smile

. .
                ps - 60-yo Husky Don from Cool Running Days was up from SoCal and zoomed by in the relay division with his three brothers for their seventh or eighth family appearance.  I hope they’re back in 12 years at my age in 2027 if not in 2038 at Mel’s age.  Me too.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

evanflein

Lucky indeed, Tetsujin. Good job today, and yes we're lucky to still have you around too!

8.5 miles today in incredibly steady even splits. I love it when a run comes together like this, but really, it's hard to tell when it'll happen or why it does!

8:24

8:11

8:18

8:17

8:14

8:14

8:16 (most of this is heading back up the hill)

8:21 (no stops in this mile!)

8:16 last half mile, included a stop while I sucked wind and decided to run it in vs. walking the rest of the way.

I hope I don't "pay" for this run tomorrow! Seems like a strong Saturday run means the Sunday long run will be a suck-fest. Hope not!

Mariposai

Amazing job with making sure that ultra babe is chicked, Holly. I love the pictures!!!!

Erika, nice pacing!!!

Tetsujin, congrats for yet another taper running marathon!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Marathon Maniac #957

Tet - Well Done on another marathon!  Glad you were saved from the pavement splat!

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

Nice job Holly!  I loved your pictures!

I was too beat to post last night...it just wasn't a very good day.

As I was getting ready to run, I was watching the pre race stuff for the Belmont Stakes...and the possibity of a Triple Crown.  Well...I got done getting ready and wanted to get going, but I couldn't leave and miss watching history being made.  So, I jumped on the treadmill and watched.  Wow...he made it look easy.  I know nothing about horse racing but I was raising my arms and cheering like crazy as he was coming down the stretch.  I don't want to spell his name because his name is spelled wrong and this iPad will auto correct it to spell it right...which would be wrong...see...I told you I don't know anything about horse racing.

Anyway...4 miles on the treadmill and 6 on the road for 10 miles in 1:18 something.

I sure hope today is a better day.  I know we're all responsible for making our own good days...but some days it takes a whole lot more effort.

Okay--gotta go--see ya!