Masters Running

Cold weather running question (Read 400 times)

OrangeMat

MM #6177

Just wanted to add that skin-on-skin will keep you warmer, which is why fingers (that are separated by being in gloves) tend to get colder than toes (which touch each other in the socks). When my fingers get excessively cold (and I have Reynauds as well), I pull them out of the gloves and hold them together so they touch each other for a little while, and they warm up just fine.

But of course my comments don't address the original question, which was about cold toes....

Slo

Just wanted to add that skin-on-skin will keep you warmer,

This started out very interesting...Big grin

#artbydmcbride

I know, right?  Big grin

Runners run

Just 20° and the toes start freezing within a few miles.  My circulation must be getting worse as I get older.  I wonder if trail shoes that aren't made with mesh uppers would help.

Dave, that will definitely help. I have this problem too, and two shoes that I have experience with are Brooks Adrenaline GTX (this year) and the Nike Zoom Structure Triax GTX (last two years), both with GoreTex shielding. Trouble is, they're both around $120 retail. But it does make a difference, although I'll take the suggestion to try smartwool socks as well.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

dorunrun

I also have Raynaud's (thanks blizzard of 78!), and it affects my feet as well as my hands.  Hands are the biggest problem, but feet go numb one toe at a time if it's cold enough out!  The warmup would also be the best tip I could give. Since I started doing that, I seldom have serious problems anymore, w/feet. Hands are a different story.  Bigger miles also improves circulation for sure!   

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

A little late to this thread, but I have a couple of pairs of fleece socks that work very nicely in the cold.  If it's really cold, a pair of silk liners under those.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Top 'O the World!

I too, am late to this party....For those of you w/significant cold toes issues (Raynauds), I'm going to ditto the Gore-Tex trail shoes + heavier SmartWool socks. For myself, it has to be sub zero for both the heavier socks & the GT shoes. At 20 degrees that's a bit too warm for me. I'm going to urge caution with regards to multiple socks & plastic bags, especially if you're planning to be out long...I wish I were more articulate & really need to research my medical & 1st aid books but the gist is reduced circulation thereby increased risk of frostbite...
                Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

It's not surprising that the goddesses with the longest/coldest/snowiest winters wear wool socks.

When it's that cold, I wear wool socks too, . . . but not for running <<<(ski/ski)>>> 

If it's really cold, space socks underneath help a little

. . . then there's battery socks nowadays.

I think divechief uses some sort of hand warmer pads.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)