Masters Running

11/9/11 - a new day (Read 563 times)

King of PhotoShop

Walt, I am just blown away by your post. What a compliment. It means something to me because my son is an art graduate student and works in wood.

As a graduate, he worked a year to finish his portfolio and the school asked him to teach a winter term. He said to me, "no sense teaching people wood and tools with no purpose.  I think I'm going to have them build a birch bark canoe, all natural materials." He meant, spruce cord, pine resin, no metal.

So he had these kids come in, and in three weeks, this is what they did:

They donated it to an American Indian museum, and yes, it floats.  He's at SMU now in their MFA program.

I've always been a business guy and never understood artists, sculptors, musicians, only their output.

But he has a jillion times the talent I have, and I am really proud of him.  I am happy for you that your work was compared with stuff from the Tate.  What a tribute.  Spareribs

wildchild

Carolyn

Interesting article, OM, thanks for posting a link. Barefoot running would be so much easier if I didn't live in the Rockies.

Walt - that's so cool! 

Ribs - your DS is very talented.

I said earlier that I'd try for a wild Wednesday with a RAW.  Well, when I went to change into running clothes after work, I found I had forgotten my shoes.  DUH!  My shoes were muddy, so I'd put them next to my gym bag, not in it.  Guess I coulda run barefoot...   It was 43* and snow-free in town, where I intended to run (on an urban trail with a headlamp) but 23* and snowy at home, so I wimped out on running.  Plus, the mountain lions in our area scare me.

So  I guess my exercise tonight will be to try the McDougall 100-up.  So much for wild Wednesday.  Roll eyes

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Hi all..... one of these days I'll get all caught up with everything here... I feel like I'm starting all over again.

Greta to see a few more familiar folks posting, too!

And a puppy pic always warms my heart.

6.2 ultra sluggish miles before work.  Not much time to read or post these days, but hopefully I can keep up with some of it at least lurking.

.....Nancy The road to hell is paved....... run trails!

SteveP

Paavo, where was the picture for your avatar taken?

Very cool. II asked the director of volunteers at the Thanksgiving Day race if Avenger Doggie could help pace the stragglers in. They said if I want to take Tag , they'll time our results. And I get a shirt...I fully expect it will have a Batsignal on it. Chicks dig a 50 year old juvenile delinquent with 70 Batman shirts and matching MUGs. 

SteveP

wildchild

Carolyn

Yeah, Steve, in your dreams.  Roll eyes  Chicks really dig Taggy.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

SteveP

Actually, There's one woman who digs me and that's all I want and more than I deserve.

SteveP

RIbs,

Today I thought about an earlier post of yours, the one about your son's worktable and how it received such praise from a visiting artist. What I'm making for this show is very much in the background....it's an audio/visual installation, and I'll be making the frames which will house several different computer monitors, as well as some benches for people to sit on while they look at the screens. It's not a design style I would ever do on my own....it's very plywood-dependent, very postmodern. But I'll take the compliment.

Nice canoe! I wonder if they steam-bent the runners. Boatbuilding, like instrument-making, is best left to a separate sect of insanely fastidious crazy people. That leaves the rest of us more time to drink. And run.

Mike E

MM #5615

I've been checking in all day long but just haven't posted for some reason.  I had even started a few times but just backed out.  Of course, with all these "new" people popping in, I sometimes wondered if I was in the wrong place. 

Ribs--I'm kind of glad you decided not to write about that guy--he messed up and he seems to be sorry for it.  I think you're showing a lot of class by letting it go.  I'm looking forward to reading the article that you do write.  Oh--yeah--very talented son--and to come up with a project like that for the kids to do was awsome.

Walt--that is quite an honor.  I wish I had talent like that.  I really like working with wood--I just can't make anything look good.

Anyway--I went for an easy 6.2 miles in 47:01, tonight.  I wore pants, for the first time--it really wasn't cold enough.  42o but the wind was blowing at 20 mph making the windchill in the low 30's.  It's really too early to talk about windchills, isn't it?  Are we even allowed to talk about windchills?  Anyway--I had a nice relaxing run.  It was one of those runs that I just got lost in my thoughts.  I needed that tonight.

The company that I have been working for, for the last 20 1/2 years is going under.  At one time, we were the biggest home builder in Minnesota.  Over the last 5 or 6 years, though, we have been going down hill.  A few weeks ago, we were on the verge of being bought out by a large national builder and we were all going to be saved.  The big boss was coming into town for a big company meeting and, at the very last minute, they decided that the time wasn't right.  So--we were sunk.  Next week the bank will be coming in to tell who goes and who stays to finish up the rest of what has to be done with the buildings under construction.  Since I'm the only one left in my department, I expect to stay for another month or so.  It's pretty sad, really.  This company has been very good to me.  And I have felt very lucky to work for them.  On the bright side--the Chief Operating Officer came into my office, today, and told me about his plan to join a group of investors who want him to start up a new company.  He said that it would be small, at first, and I'd probably starve for the first year, but he wants me to come with him.  I'm not sure of the timeline--I don't think he is right now, either--but I told him that when he calls me to come over--I'll be there.  It's scary--but really pretty exciting.  And it beats unempoyment.! 

Okay--that's it.  See ya, tomorrow!

wildchild

Carolyn

Actually, There's one woman who digs me and that's all I want and more than I deserve.

Smile  Steve, that's sweet.

Mike, good luck with the job situation.  It sounds depressing and promising at the same time.

Walt, we'd love pictures of your new project.  My DH is a woodworker who makes instruments - he's not fastidious but he is crazy.  Here's one of his aspen didgeridoos:

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Jlynne, thanks for the heads up on that article. This is the web version of it..

Thanks for the convenient link about running barefoot helping prevent injuries, etc.   I always thought I'd been avoiding injuries over the years because eschewing excessive, if any, training keeps me running too slowly to get injured.. However, at least for pure barefoot runners, I'm not sure it's necessary to do 100-ups. A couple of heel-strikes on most any hard surface'll convert most any heel-striker to the gentler mid-foot touch-downs. 

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Marathon Maniac #957

{{Holly}} seems to be stressing.    So her is some Chardonnay for you girlfriend.... She was such a cuddler last night.

Cheers!

Mary - I didn't have time to post last night, but I did stop by and have an "awwww" moment here.  Those puppies are just so darn cute and snuggly - thanks!

Interesting following the story of that runner and all your responses.  I agree that it was handled well.

Very impressed with the woodworking geniuses here - beautiful.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."