Masters Running

First Triathlon (Read 25 times)

I don't really feel worthy enough to post, since I've been absent, except for the monthly mileage, but I decided to share my impulsiveness to do my first try (at age 64).  I decided to do it only 10 days before the event, because I "ran" into a friend of mine who had done several and she offered me her extra bike and helmut.

I run and swim quite regularly, so how hard could this be?  After all, no one forgets how to ride a bike!  So, after only 2 trial runs on the bike, and lots of runs and swims. here I go on Saturday am to experience this.  It was only a sprint try, so I knew I could at least finish..

First was the swim.  I consider myself an above average swimmer and have logged many miles in my local gym pool.  The distance was 400 meters...piece of cake, although I was worried that each lane was 50 meters, rather than the 25 I am used to.  Friend told me to sign up for a much slower time than I could do, so we would go in the pool last, so as to avoid lots of other swimmers.

Ha!  I was the very last one to go in on the "even" side, but was immediately surrounded by other swimmers and just as immediately, went into panic mode and totally forgot how to breathe and stroke.  It was pretty scary and I really thought I might not make it to the end of the first lane.

Fast forward, when I finally got out of the pool, I was so relieved that I just enjoyed life and sauntered on over to my borrowed bike, which, btw, was a mongoose.  Most people had racing bikes, but beggars can't be choosers.  I was bleeding a lot on one hand that kept hitting the ropes in my panic mode and so held my towel on it to try to stop that while I also tried to get on shoes, etc.  Finally  after what turned out to be a 4 minute transition, off I go.  I really felt like I was flying until I got to the 5 mile mark (cone turn around) and noticed there were only FIVE bikes behind me. Yikes!

Finally, after the 7 miles, I got off the bike, and couldn't even rack it, because there was no room, threw off my helmet and started the double loop around the lake.  First loop was slow, but bearable.  2nd loop was really hard. It was only a 5k, but by that point I was really tired.  Friend was waiting for me and helped me run to the finish, where I had one of my spasmodic can't breathe leave me alone attacks, but was soon ok.

If you read all this, bless you and thanks.  I didn't even place in my age group, but I wasn't the last and I did finish!

Henrun

Congrats, you're now a triathlete. I've done 2 sprints (both before I took swimming lessons) and I was last out of the pool both times. Did them in my 60's.  Have no desire to do anymore.

Enjoy!

Mike E

MM #5615

Yeah, congratulations! Triathletes are my heroes....man, I wish I could swim. Nice job...and thanks for sharing.

Nice job!!!  A finish is a finish even if you had been the last one done ....some triathlons have a celebration for the last finisher and it is so cool to see!!   YOU ARE A TRIATHLETE!!Big grin

denise

Thanks guys.  I will never forget the support I received when I did my first (and probably only) marathon a few years ago.  You all are awesome and I hope to jump back in and join encouraging posts that take place.  Somehow, my first grandchild got in the way of this but I can see the light now!

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

You should have warned us!!  The warm-up support is at least as strong as the after the race variety.  Congratulations on jumping in with both feet.  Sounds like you had fun and have another great accomplishment to tell your grand kid(s) about.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

wildchild

Carolyn

Congrats!  You're braver than I am - I'm not sure I'd ever try a tri... but never say never!  Signing up 10 days beforehand might be the best way to go so you don't have too much time to think about what you're doing!   And a first grandkid is a greta excuse for not following the forum!   I agree with Stumpy - you should have let us know beforehand so we could give you all sorts of encouraging words and advice and stuff!   You rock!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Tramps

Congrats on doing this.  It takes a lot of guts, especially to just jump in with so little preparation.  Well done!

Be safe. Be kind.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

thanks for thinking of us tri-fussy.  I hope your RR encourages others who don't have that much time to train for the three swim/bike/run legs, and transitions too, to join the fun, . . . and you again too.  I don't have time, or will, to train either but have been able to do at least one tri a year of all distances since 1978, including more than one DGL.*  Reminds me of being a barefoot kid again. good luck.

*dead glorious last 

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

#artbydmcbride

You Crazy, fussyrunner!!  Big grin  And brave!  I would never have had the nerve to do that event.  How awesome you are.

Runners run

mustang sally

Bad faerie

Well-done!!!  Aren't tris fun?

Well, except for the second half of the run, they're fun, but who's counting!

Can't wait to hear about your next one.

You guys are so awesome.  Making me realize what I have missed from posting regularly.  Tomorrow I am doing a 5K, which I gave up on MANY years ago due to the fact that I felt like a turtle in a swam of hares, but....I am doing it to gain support for the 4th annual race I direct each year....anyway, thanks again for making me a part of a group for which I've neglected for so long!