Masters Running

Charlevoix (MI) Marathon - Sat, June 27, 2015 (Read 61 times)

SteveP

SteveP

Marathon Maniac #957

I just checked and the house I was hoping to get has a one-week minimum.  I was thinking of staying 3 nights, coming up Thursday and hopefully doing some sight-seeing on Friday, but a week is too long.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Marathon Maniac #957

There is this one, which is pretty small, but it has two bedrooms, four beds, about 4 blocks from the start/finish, and they are available at the moment for those three days.

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/2082376?checkin=06%2F25%2F2015&checkout=06%2F28%2F2015&guests=4&s=JomN

Hey, is anyone else looking for housing?  I am open to suggestions......

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Sayhey! MM#130

Hiya,

I should clarify:  I have a room reserved, but would cancel to go in on the house if I can afford it.

DH isn't sure if he is coming or not at this point, so I don't want to hold up anything due to that.

I'll probably fly into Traverse City, so we'll find an ice cream place in Charley Boy, Tag, as I am SURE there will be one.

Also, I'd be ok with your 4th or 5th best stick.

grins,

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Marathon Maniac #957

Hey, hey!  Look what I just reserved!

http://www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p279995?utm_source=sy&utm_medium=email&utm_term=20141118&utm_content=prop_text_t_LPROP&utm_campaign=InqiryConfirmation

4 bedrooms, sleeps 10, only about 1/2 mile from the start finish, A/C, Wi-Fi - and only $300/night total!  I reserved it for 3 nights, arriving 6/25 leaving 6/28.

I have room for joiners!

Slo

How many do you have committed Holly?

I just signed up.

Marathon Maniac #957

Slo - I'm sure there's room for you!

I have 2, possibly 3 girlfriends who might come up from Ohio, but no one has totally committed yet, so I just sent them a shout-out to make up their minds.

Amy - are you with us?

Perch and DW?

The kitchen looks big enough to cook a great, pre-marathon dinner....

Slo - I'm sure there's room for you!

I have 2, possibly 3 girlfriends who might come up from Ohio, but no one has totally committed yet, so I just sent them a shout-out to make up their minds.

Amy - are you with us?

Perch and DW?

The kitchen looks big enough to cook a great, pre-marathon dinner....

Just let me know when to be there! We should also plan something as a group for Saturday night, maybe.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Marathon Maniac #957

Absolutely!

Sayhey! MM#130

Holly, looks dellightful!  I would love to be in; I'll hang onto my room for just a bit to be sure you have enough room for your friends and anyone here (maybe we can get Erika to change her mind??) .    Let me know what you think about room for all.

YAY, SLo is coming!!!

grins,

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Holly, I'm in and DW's a maybe

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Marathon Maniac #957

Holly, looks dellightful!  I would love to be in; I'll hang onto my room for just a bit to be sure you have enough room for your friends and anyone here (maybe we can get Erika to change her mind??) .    Let me know what you think about room for all.

Amy, since you were the one who suggested this first, you are absolutely the first one in line for space at the house.  There are 4 bedrooms with full or queen sized beds, and an extra room with a fold out sofa.  So, you have a room, with our without your DH.

Slo - I am counting you in with us as well.

Steve Perch and DW - you are in too.

My local friends cannot seem to make up their minds, but if they decide to come, us women can go 2 to a bed without "issues." 

Anyone else in for the party house restful accommodations near the race?

Slo

That's perfect Holly...Thanks!

A few pictures from past visits to the area and to give you an idea of what it looks like in general:

A view looking north from the south end of the downtown area, with the ubiquitous "Mackinaw Island Fudge Shop" on the opposite corner. Plenty of restaurants, souvenir shops, candy, ice cream, etc. to be found along this stretch.

View looking north across the bridge at the north end of the touristy area. From what I can tell, the starting line is right in that area somewhere. Also to be seen at the left is the veranda of The Weathervane restaurant, a place I'd highly recommend for a very nice meal.

Yes, that bridge is a drawbridge and it snarls traffic on the main street every half hour or so when it goes up to let boats pass through on the channel from the Big Lake into the inner harbor and Lake Charlevoix. The main street is US-31 and it is the only route along the shoreline at this point without making a 20-mile detour!

One of the unique and famous "Mushroom Houses" that can be found on the residential side streets to the west of downtown. They really look to me like illustrations in a fairy tale book and you almost expect one of those characters to come walking out the door.

Another mushroom house.

And at the end of a long day (or marathon!), you can always top it off by watching the sun set over Lake Michigan (even though this was taken from a room in Petoskey, a few miles north.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Marathon Maniac #957

Nice pics, Roch.  I love the mushroom houses.  I wonder how they get the roof to be curvy like that....