Masters Running

Wednesday Aprill 6 Daily Show (Read 515 times)

I race to train.

Racing keeps me motivated to push and stay consistant. I also don't want to get beat by the rabbit.Wink I am running from many things actually. Heart disease, obesity, getting old, stress, and just becoming idle. That being said I am a past athlete and am very competitive especially with myself and running gives me a chance to vent that weather beating myself (pr) or the occasional AG placement. I very seldom race if I don't think I am up to whatever ability that I think I should be. I like to walk away from a race and feel like I had a good showing even if it doesn't always result in a PR or hardware.

7 miles 8:50ish pace for me today with a few miles @ RP(8:00) just to keep it fresh in my mind .

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

Slo

Hey All.

Been busy. By the time I get thru the daily I've got no time to comment but great discussion about racing !

I love to race...every time I do I expect to better than the last time. I love the social part too...especially if it involves beer! Mike, I would love to run like you on 40 mpw...I'd have more time to bike then!

I'm also trying to slay this marathon. That damn thing is a beast.

I also liked the discussion about junk food. A bag a doritos and a beer is only 2nd to pizza when it comes to bagging a run for food.

Gotta run...er go, the runs done.

Nice work guys !

Mike E

MM #5615

Ahhh, beer...anyway...

Perfect day for a run and I'm tapering!  53 and light wind...man it was nice!  2.2 mile in 13:44.

Renee the dog

I train to race comfortably, and I race because I'm just a competitive sort. 

That being said, I'm on the Tet plan to see how little I can do and still eek out satisfactory results, it seems.  Mostly that's due to having littles still, even though I'm, ahem, not young, as my dd (who's 7) recently told me.

OK, and I did nothing but drive to see my Mom today (and visit my old chiropractor).  So, put me down for 5 hrs. driving. 

And, I just peeked for the first time at the Boston extended forecast. (I know, I'm hanging my head in shame, but I did it.)

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

lamerunner

Nono, no need for shame. i checked too, and i  was a bit concerned. ... but   in New England, things change fast...

5 Miles - 49:59 - (9:00) - slow and easy still struggling with this hip / right thigh thing.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Thanks nono.  I like races/events too much to ruin them by training. Never trained never will but even when I did such as doing divechief’s modified Pfitz program in 2007 to try to keep up to a certain goddess in an upcoming marathon, it was never more than the distance of the events. 

When I started doing annual marathons with ski buddies to see if skiing all winter long was sufficient for running 26.2 miles (it was), any training at all would have been tantamount to cheating for an advantage.  As a result, our biggest problem was the blisters we reveled in at the end from running in shoes that we weren’t used to.   I figured out how to solve that problem though. Smile   It also gives a truer comparison of deteriorating times over the years when the main variable is the number or races and not the miles/intensity of training.

ps - as if to prove the disadvantages of training, dive’s minimalist training program worked too way too well as I lost the goddess behind me in the first mile, . . . at least I thinks that’s the reason. Smile

pps holly - i'm counting on erika to find some flights with stopovers in Seattle for you guys on the way to and back from FBKS.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

No run today, but did lift for a little over an hour.  My legs are a little sore from the squats and the longest run of the year, yesterday.  I have to try to fit a run in tomorrow after I fix DS #2's plumbing issues, replacing shower faucet. Then Friday I have to try get rental homes basement floor drain cleared, or it's going to cost about 3k dollars to have them replaced. Ouch!!!!

Marathon Maniac #957

...steveP//..I have mailed

VooDoo Dolls of everyone on this website to AvengerDoggie

just let 'em try to get out of line.

oh,

and you may want to stock up on IceCreamTreats

no reason.

Big grin

TomWhite - you add so much to this forum    Smile

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."