Masters Running

Saturday 9/13 get out and run day (Read 370 times)

SteveP

Power up Craneium!!!!! I wonder if any one gets boed when Holly's daughter is around?? How's woody and Mrs. Roy??? Did you make the Ironman cry Karin???? The company I work for puts the employees' families first. A lot is expected of us..One of the reasons I like the job as much as I do. A lot of flexability is offered in return. The kids are encouraged to come to work. We had GS#1 over for a few hours last night....Then DD & SIL called and asked if we'd keep him over night...It was their anniversary. Heck yes!!!He woke up this AM not sure where he was, when he saw Grampy, he smiled ear to ear and started reaching. After some interaction, we went and Grammy got to see her Little Dude first thing when she woke up. DD#1 came ond got him and we chatted a long time before she took the little guy from us. I can't wait till he's old enough to go to Chuck E Cheese. DW rode the bike as I ran 4.18 miles. With changes in schedules, we've not been spending as much one on one time together. SO this was kewl.

SteveP

wildchild

Carolyn

Watch out for Darth Karin! Way to kick Ironman dude's butt! Nono, I was tired on my run yesterday afternoon and realized I hadn't eaten since breakfast. Sounds like we both need a better energy plan, like Sarge suggested yesterday in his election year running tips! Evryday, how is your blah blah feeling today? Big grin DH has a big house remodel project underway that I have to help with this weekend. As many of you know, we designed and built our own house. Well, we've never liked the design of the 3rd floor loft area - it has a steep peaked roof with a big dormer window, and we wish we had put in a higher shed roof so we could see the view better and not hit our heads all the time. DH has wanted to re-do the roof for years, but although I wished in hindsight we had done it differently, I didn't think it was worth taking the roof off. Well, DH is doing it anyway, so we have lumber and roofing bits strewn all over the yard where he's been throwing it all down, and the dogs are unhappy because he makes them stay inside when he's working to avoid hitting them. Today he'll finish de-constructing the roof and tomorrow the new one goes on. I hope it doesn't rain!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

King of PhotoShop

DickyG, the same thought ocurred to me. I was asking myself, "Is this an interval workout or a wave run?" Technically it is an interval workout in that I was doing some measured work followed by a rest period, but it doesn't truly qualify as the rest period was not measured, which is the real definition of intervals. Also, Bill Pinckney is featured in the show as it was taped just a few weeks before he died. At the end of the show the group sings "Stand By Me" obviously led by Ben E. King, and Pinckney comes out to do a stanza. It was very touching. He was the only remaining Drifter. He also reminds the audience, prior to doing the Drifters' famous "White Christmas" rendition, that the song was featured in the 1991 movie "Home Alone." Remember when Macauley Culkin as Kevin, is in the bathroom using his comb as a microphone and lip syncs the song? You were wise to tape it. It amazes me how they continue to put good shows on during fund-raising and constantly say that our donations allow them to put on good programming like this, but the only good programming is offered during pledge week. Theresa, you must ice it also. The tennis ball is good, but ice, ice baby, too cold, too cold. Spareribs

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Summer day in Seattle in September even enticing taper boy to run. when the sun beats down and burns down on the street And your shoes get so hot you have to run in yur bare feet down on the beach, down by the sea, yeah On a blanket of sand is where my runnin'll be. out in the sun .... that's why we run. just havin' fun... that's how it's done actually, virtual joining Running Barefooters all over the country in annual Charlie "Doc" Robbins Memorial Run for the 11-time national AAU distance champion in the forties (20K - marathon) and our first and, so far, only member of the RunningBarefoot Hall of Fame. He ran barefoot in the days when all the running sneakers were so thin-soled like bare feet anyway.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

lamerunner

Happy Saturday! Easy 7 or so on the Massabsic rail trail, pretty warm and humid. Hoping for a good strong long run tomorrow, only a few weeks left! Darth Karin, way to show him. I always chuckle when men try to stop me from passing them even when they are gasping... Obama is in town this morning but I never made it. He will be back, one of nice things about NH is checking out the candidates.
            busiman

Running out of mistakes!

Very funny Karin! Way to show him who is in shape :-) Trash talk, even when from ignorance, always seems to come back to bite them. I did my usual saturday morning marathon pace run. 10@7min pace, 150avg 164mx. I was hoping the fog would stick around longer. It was very calming. It is exactly 4 weeks to the Hartford Marathon! If I don't go under 3 this time, it won't be because I slacked on the training. I'm very much looking forward to tapering
              -2009 running goals - sub-3 after Boston (probably VCM), 3 PRs, 2009 miles for the year, and no untreated injuries
              also on Twitter
                Morning everyone. It's raining pretty hard here so I opted for a trip to the Y. 5 miles on the eliptical and 3 on the treadmill with some free weights and ab work. It was nice to have the luxury of spending a couple of hours there this morning. Holly, that daughter of yours comes out with some classics. You should write a book! Ribs - you have plenty of time to get your 40 mile weeks back. It's smart you're easing back into things. Karin - were you wearing your "I run like a girl - try to keep up" singlet this morning?! Way to kick butt! DH and I went to see "Burn After Reading" last night. Brad Pitt was hilarious as a dim-witted sports facility employee. If you liked the "Fargo" type of dark humor, you'll enjoy this movie. I stopped at farmer's market and got some fresh green beans, tomatoes and corn on the cob. Will have that with a great piece of salmon that I'm marinating for dinner tonight. Enjoy your Saturday, everyone. Jeanne
                  Yum! Jlynne, I'll be over for dinner----how's 6:30 pm? (I did have a "Kick Assphalt" singlet on from One More Mile----no lie!)

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Drowned rat about sums it up. It never, ever stopped raining. Dodging water puddles just seemed useless after 10 or 12 miles. BUT, we are both SO proud of ourselves and are taking each other out for lunch soon. Thanks to everyone for all their encouragement!!! Big grin Big grin Big grin Geez, I didn't mean to post an old photo of B'Nellie - that's what I get for not checking my post before signing off . . . stoopid dial-up!!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                    It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Well done, Mary, to brave the elements like that. And Karin! Way to make him eat his words. hehheh hehhehheh An "easy" 5 miler this morning which was anything but. Ok, it was 70°F and 98% humidity, but I think the real problem was that my legs were tired from brewing yesterday. There's a lot of time on my feet while brewing, and moving large tubs of liquid/grain around. I think I should get credit for some cross-training. I'm supposed to be painting the walls now, while PDR is out walking with herfriend that she's mentioned, but I swear I don't know which paint to use. I got all ready, and there are two possibilities -- I think it'd be better to wait until she gets back to make sure. Maybe I'll take a nap in the meantime. (Shh, don't tell her). Big grin 5.1 miles, 45:33, 8:55/mi, AHR 145

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Mary, I know what you went through, but I only had to do 5K's worth this morning in Ann Arbor (it was a pretty bad drive back home, though!). The race was about half trail, and you can guess what the single-track trail through the woods was like. But I enjoyed it a lot (RR to follow). I'd bet that you liked it too in that runner's way that we all know. There's a limit to how wet you can get, and at least it wasn't cold, so after the first mile you can just appreciate being out in nature and having something to pay attention to. Congratulations on your big 20-miler! You certainly "have it made" as far as finishing a marathon is concerned. Karin, way to go on kicking ironman's butt. I can just guess how you took that as a challenge. Ribs, you remind me of our conversation with the guy that hooked up our WOW cable connection a couple weeks ago. He was talking about their having a problem with the audio on our local public station one time and said "we have all these old people who watch PBS and they really get upset when they can't get it". I guess you're demographically a typical geezer now.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Hey, Karin, I haven’t seen you in a bit and I am guessing you aren’t training for much. I want to get back into running shape since our racing season is approaching and I need to get back into race shape. I figure you can DRAG MY SORRY A$$ around since I am out of shape I need to get back into shape and hoping you’ll do 12-14”. Bill ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ PS: Today I planned on 5 easy miles on the treadmill. Had no energy at all, so I stopped at 3.

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Dave59

Dodging water puddles just seemed useless after 10 or 12 miles.
                            I thought about you and others that I knew were out doing long runs in this stuff. 7 was enough for me. And at the end, I gave up on dodging people's sprinklers and just ran through them. And I couldn't tell much difference. Tongue (On days when we are getting this much rain, why don't people turn off their lawn sprinklers? That's what I do.)

evanflein

Way to go Mary! Congratulations and enjoy lunch, you've earned this one! B'nellie is a cutie. Holly, that's a tough situation with the attorneys in your office. I'm lucky to work for someone who places a lot of importance on family and kids. It's been nice when I had to leave early or stay home with sick kids. My boys went to the high school homecoming game and bonfire last night. Well, tried to. We talked to them about being careful and parking DH's truck across the road and taking the overpass to the high school. They thought we were being so overprotective. Well, a fight broke out before the game ended, and according to the news, hundreds of kids and other people apparently not associated with the schools playing, were involved. Cops were there and involved... fire fighters got involved... wow, a total melee. Game was called, bonfire canceled, everyone told to go home NOW. DS1 called to say he was looking for his brother and friends and would be coming home. He rounded up DS2, the friend who would be spending the night and two neighbor kids who needed a ride home. He took them to McDonalds for something to eat, then delivered everyone home. I was really proud of him for how he took care of everyone. The parents of the other boys didn't have to worry about their kids at all, which is really cool. He also told me "Mom, you were right, I'm so glad I didn't park in the school lot because it was a total mess!" Yes Oh, running, well, I will later on. Just an easy 6 or so. Marathon in one week... Eeek!
                                Karin - way to kick his butt! It is my impression, and I don't want to offend anyone by this sweeping generalization, but certain men will always overestimate their ability. Ego thing I guess. WTG Mary!!!....but I want more details... I did 6.21 miles last night @ 6:45 pm, slowly (11:16 pace). BEAUTIFUL MOONRISE was seen. Was planning on 5 but I miscalculated how far back to the car it was and ended up running nearly in the dark, through a trail where the footing was becoming increasingly difficult to see. I love running at night. I have a fantasy of someday collecting a whole bunch of women runners together to do nighttime runs. Safety in numbers. Then another 6 miles this morning @ 9:20 am. Also pretty darn slow (11:14 pace). But I sprinted hard up every hill to try to build some muscle. And I am wondering when my pre stomach bug speed is going to come back....I'm waiting...

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."