Masters Running

Bye, Bye Irene! Monday Master Runs and Clean Ups (Read 476 times)

Maybe it's just me, but I feel some people try to re-invent the wheel when it comes to running paces and terminology.  CV sounds an awful lot like 10K tempo pace, in fact is a fast-ish tempo, so why not just call it that?

Glad no-one got hurt in the storm.  Just some windfalls for you folks with chainsaws.

{{{Dr. J}}}

Had a wonderful visit with Mariposai on Saturday - she spoiled me with sunflowers, local wine and the biggest fresh tomatoes I have seen or eaten in years.  SHE is the lovely one, not I.  After running like 20 miles early Saturday morning, she drove all the way to our vacation rental then made me go out all the way into the lake swimming, and even entertained my very active 9 yr old.  I just love hot and sunny Eastern Washington even more now.

Got my tooth filled early this morning.  Anyone with a nightguard?  I am going to get one before I grind all my teeth away.

I need to get into a routine...still overcast here so maybe I can run this afternoon.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

BTY

Hi all.   Reading through this thread and other reports it just goes to show how a huricane can change its spots as it travels along the coast.   What we got here in the Albany was both a rain and wind (high winds for this area) event.  Aboout 15 inches of rain fell in the higher elevated twons near us, so my little town and a lot of other little towns are spitting up the water that the tributaries are sending our way.   We managed to escape the water in the basement epidemic that's going around, thankfully.   And stress, yes, stress.   Two 60 foot tall Silver Maples are standing in my yard this morning, which I fully believed would be laying across my roof last night.  We had gusts of 60-70 mph, and with the loosened root systems from all of the rain (rains leading up to the hurricane, not just the 6" we got yesterday), there are downed trees all around us, but somehow my house is not holding any of them up.  I think that by this time next year they will be gone, but they are very difficult to to remove by myself, and expensive to have someone else do it. Been putting it off since we moved in 10 years ago.

At this moment, the most distressing thing is that our 3-year-old red tabby, Leo, has not come back home since he left the night before the storm hit.  We're praying for his safe return.  I don't get to spend a lot of time with him but he does hang out next to me while I do my morning flexibility routine every day at 5 to 6 AM.

Our running trail aong the Hudson River is under a few feet of water, so I went to high ground today and ran in Washington Park, about a 2-mile jog from my office.  The workout was supposed to be run there and run back, and in between, run 3 * 1.5 mile repeats at 10k race pace (6:51 - 6:55 per mile).  I knew this would be a challenge, because my legs are tired from a 5k, also part of the program, on Saturday morning, in which I ran 6:51 pace in very humid pre-hurricane conditions, and I was so stressed from waiting for the trees to fall last night that I never really fell asleep, and am probably going to sleep REALLY well tonight.  I guess I ran a little too fast, as I ran the first repeat in 10:00 even (6:40 pace) and the second in 10:10 (6:45 pace).  I made a deal with myself that if I ran the second one in less that 10:15 I could skip the third one and run back to the building, and I held myself to it.  I know the point of the workout was not to run 2 instead of 3 reps, and run them at the wrong pace.  I just wanted it to be over.  Total of 7.2 miles.  The park is about 100 feet higher in elevation than my building, so it was a bit of a workoutgetting there, and I had to be easy on my legs coming back down from there on the pavement - my connective tissue around my knees and ankles is barking a little bit right now.

"had too much coffee jump in the bushes pace"

"raining heavily need to hold my shorts up pace"

Just some recent pace experiences for me.   Interesting workouts Bill and will no doubt make you sharper for those races ahead.

Sleep well BTY and hope the connective tissue will be OK

Thanks for all the good vibes and thoughts for Dr. J. She continues to show signs of recovery and could wiggle the fingers on her left hand today and was able to walk up and down stairs with the physical therapist. She has to relearn some of the basic activities of daily life and knowing her, she will work at it with all her might. We want to make sure she's good to herself as well, since there will be forward and backward steps in these next days and weeks. This network is powerful and I appreciate the good thoughts.

Ran 11.6 miles at about 8:24 pace in a storm-washed, bright and clear day.

PBJ I hope you get your power back soon.  Ours was out and just came back this afternoon. Living like a cave man can be tough in modern times!  Good job on that tree too!  Boy I never could have managed what you did.

CNYrunner I am so sorry to hear about your friend.  My very best for a rapid and full recovery.

The exciting news is that my house has electricity again!  Yea!  Over half of my town is still out so I am lucky.  Our power runs off a line that makes a pretty direct connection to the main thoroughfare through town.  Basically, if I am out likely it is out too which puts getting me power inadvertently on the priority list.  Hay you take what you can get!  But, overall south-west Connecticut has been hit pretty hard.  Many large towns were 100% without power!  Many are still in the 90's.  They are talking about weeks before everybody is back on line.  Wow!

This evening I went off to run 6x800m intervals.  For the first time ever I ran them at the local high school track.  I have to admit they seem like they are a lot easier to do on a track than down at the beach area road.  I have no idea why since the beach road is about a 800 meter loop and pretty flat.  Probably just psychological but what the heck!  Post run I took a hot shower!  You all have no idea how good that felt!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Marathon Maniac #957

At this moment, the most distressing thing is that our 3-year-old red tabby, Leo, has not come back home since he left the night before the storm hit.  We're praying for his safe return. 

I hope little Leo makes his way back to you soon.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."