Masters Running

Thu Apr 17 (Read 464 times)

I printed my boarding passes!!!! Must go over to the jail now--will try and post later, just took a moment to read the thread and say how much I'm looking forward to meeting some of you this weekend! . Woo Hoo! Amy
    Masters 2000 miles
      hope i get to meet you Amy!! i'll be at the finish line with the medical sweeps team!! oh - i just wanted to update.......i went to MVS track last night to talk with the coach and he hooked me up with one of the PT's - he worked with me for awhile and told me the best place for me to get excellent PT with someone who is runner savy --- i called today and they are getting me in this afternoon!! SWEET!! then around 6ish i leave for a women's acts retreat thru my church - getting nervous but happy at the same time - think this is just what i need right now!! i really can't wait to meet as many of you as possible sunday afternoon and monday - wonder if i can wear something distinguishable on my marathon red/medical team jacket so you might recognize me at the finish line ...... i'll have numbers written down and will be on the lookout hoping to wish you a CONGRATULATIONS as you woosh right by me!! to all runners - enjoy your weekend wherever you may be......run well, run happy!!

denise

Even though I won't be there physically, my spirit will be in Boston with all the boomers/masters this weekend and Monday. derrick, it sounds like the sinus and strep really got you. Healing vibes going your way. btb, thanks for the two days of neat pictures. Evan, nice progression run. btb, my thoughts are going out to your two family members who needed to be hospitalized. Nice long runs for breger and Peter (with hills). This morning, I debated between doing 8 miles or 12. As I went along, I talked myself into the 12. The temp was in the high 40s when I went out (in shorts) and just over 60 when I finished a bit over 1:57 later. There was just a little wind and my average pace was 9:56. After breakfast, the temp was in the mid 60s, it was clear and sunny, and I rode my bike int town to get the paper. It's a "beautiful day in the neighborhood". A good day and good runs for all. TomS
          BTB: Gorgeous photos! Wow! But so sorry about the other stuff you're dealing with. 5 easy miles this morning. One more short run on Saturday, and that's it! We'll get out of work by 5 tonight (which is very early for us), and finish packing. We've got to be on the road by 7am tomorrow. We've got tickets for the Beer Summit at the Park Plaza Castle tomorrow evening and the taps open at 5:30pm. Happy travels, all. weather.com Few showers. Highs in the upper 50s and lows in the upper 40s. wbztv.com Mostly cloudy. Fog in the mornings. Chance of drizzle. Highs in the mid 50s. Lows in the mid 40s. noaa.gov A chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 58. Chance of precipitation is 30%. accuweather.com High: 56°F RealFeel®: 50°F Mainly cloudy and breezy with a couple of showers possible Winds: SE at 18mph Wind Gusts: 31 mph (Yikes!) Max UV Index: Moderate (3) Thunderstorm Probability: 10% Amount of Precipitation: 0.03in Amount of Rain: 0.03in Amount of Snow: 0.0in Hours of Precipitation: 1 Hrs Hours of Rain: 1 Hrs Hours of Daylight: 13.7 Hrs

aka Mrs. WillRunForBeer, MD, USA

Marathoning, the triumph of desire over reason

Btb - beautiful pictures. Seeing that fog has a calming effect. The halo in your shadow, it is obvious, since I've never had one myself. Evil grin Hugs to you. In Need of a Taper (a poem) 57 miles last week, a personal record for sure those endless miles around the park are nothing but a blur tonight I ran 7 more, in perfect windless evening air IRC in anyone's book, yet my psyche didn't care I saw a beautiful cherry tree, dripping pink white confetti on the ground and then came that nasty ankle-biting dog, rescued from the pound I wonder if I'll ever run again after I finish my marathon the joy has seeped out of my runs like the sweat used to before I've come so far on my quest but now I really need to rest tonight I could not even read the newspaper I went straight to bed and dreamed of my sweet taper Good Luck Boston Bound Boomers!! Sounds like IRC for your race, maybe with a bit of a breeze.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

King of PhotoShop

Well, the weather forecast looks encouraging for Boston, and all of you seem fit and eager, which is a good sign. What fun we will have following this. I think I fly out that afternoon and will miss keeping track this year, but looking forward to logging on as soon as I get to gorgeous Livonia, MI Monday night! I just got home a couple of hours ago, early flight from Pitt. The Saint and I did a short, very slow jog in the park. I am tired. Spareribs

I Can Go The Distance

Good Thursday Everyone, A second speed day for me. Did Repetitions today. 6X200m 200m recovery; 1x400m 400m recovery, 1.5mi to warmup and cooldown for a total of 5 miles in 47:25 9:29/mi pace. 1.5 mi warmup 15:25 200 54 sec 200 51 sec 200 53 sec 200 54 sec 200 54 sec 200 54 sec 400 1:47 1.5 mi cooldown 14:45 BTB: Thanks for more great pictures. Dromedary: I don't do beer either, but I will eat cake! I am doing the 5k at Lomita. Is your husband interested in doing the 5k? Have a great day everyone. Bruce

"Don't give up, don't ever give up." Jim Valvano

evanflein

accuweather.com Amount of Snow: 0.0in
                  I can't tell you how happy I am to see THAT!!! Woohoo! I could do without the rain, but other than a little breezy it looks like IRC to me! Enke, love your poem. And actually, that's sort of how I felt earlier this week. I just didn't even care enuf to do my last week of taper runs. It was more because of all the other stuff I'm dealing with at work and home, and the running just seemed like it didn't matter (all that "training is in the bank" talk, ya know?). But I felt so much better after a run that I made myself do it. 5 more miles tonight, EZ run after two days of progression runs, and I'm not sure if I'll do the TM or venture outside... it's chilly but we haven't had anymore snow so bikepaths seem clear. BTB, so sorry for all you're dealing with. On top of your own derailed running plans, having these two people in your life take such turns for the worse is heart wrenching. Thanks for posting those photos, they really are beautiful, and show that at least you're getting some relief with those morning walks in all that splendor. Holly, finally girlfren! So you found your sproink in your running skirt. About damn time, I must say. Be sure to pack it for your trip! Amy... I reminded DH to print our boarding passes today. I'll call him at 12:30 to remind him again! Just re-read thru my marathon booklet (yes, I'm at work... so?) and getting soooo psyched about it. Will do a whirlwind cleanup, laundry and packing job tonight, final touches tomorrow a.m. and then we're outta here! (ok, so DS1 is staying with my parents... he wants me to leave him my car.... hmmmm... dad has offered to drive him wherever he needs to go, but he has school and varsity soccer practice on weekdays, comp soccer practice on the weekends... what'cha think?)
                    (ok, so DS1 is staying with my parents... he wants me to leave him my car.... hmmmm... dad has offered to drive him wherever he needs to go, but he has school and varsity soccer practice on weekdays, comp soccer practice on the weekends... what'cha think?)
                    Don't ask WRFB about his escapades with his parents' cars as a teenager... On the other hand, my girls were very responsible drivers, so it depends on the kid. And it might be much easier for your dad if DS1 has his own transportation - at least for school and sports events. Oh - and I think you win the prize for traveling the furthest to reach Boston. Safe travels!

aka Mrs. WillRunForBeer, MD, USA

Marathoning, the triumph of desire over reason

Marathon Maniac #957

wonder if i can wear something distinguishable on my marathon red/medical team jacket so you might recognize me at the finish line ......
                      I'm telling you, get one of those shiny pinwheels and wave it at the finish line...... Smile

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Good luck out in Boston to all running it. deez4boyz here is hoping you have nothing to do on race day but enjoy runners rushing by! Happy travels to today's early posters WRFB, perchcreek, PDR, CNYrunner, Holly, btb, Aamos, and evanflein. I can see how excited everybody is. The weather forecast looks about as good as one can ever hope! btb I am really sorry to hear about your family. Such events are never easy to deal with. FWIW I agree with your friend about enjoying what we have and from what I can tell if anybody exemplifies that attitude it is you! You have remained positive and forward looking throughout your trials and tribulations. You are a great inspiration to all around you. No running for me today. Still hoping my calf heals up in time for Boston. But it is not looking good. If I have to deep six the race I may shoot for the the July 13 Missoula MT Marathon. It got great reviews on marathonguide.com and Montana in the summer is beautiful. If anybody has other suggestions for a race mid-July or early August I am all eyes!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Jlynne

Evanflein - here's a story that may help you make a decision: Our DS#1 was 17, had just got his license and a full time summer job. We were leaving for a vacation and he decided that he "needed the money" and couldn't afford to miss a week of work. So, we left him the keys to my Jeep Cherokee to use for summer football practice and going to work every day, with the agreement that grandma would stop daily to check up and make sure everything was "in order." The jeep had a fiberglass top that came off for driving around in warm weather, which he had taken off a few days earlier. Before we left, his dad suggested that they put the top back on (it was too heavy for one person to lift on/off) so in case of bad weather, he would be ready to go. The top got put back on, and his dad told him to put the bolts back in place to hold it in place. He was in a hurry to get to a friend's house and said that yes, he would be sure to do that. We left for vacation, and when we came back, the house was okay, but the top was off the jeep and it wasn't anywhere visible. My husband asked him where the top might be, and he told us he "had left it at a friend's house" because the weather was so nice. It took us a week to get to the bottom of the story....He never bolted the top down, and one morning he left for work after oversleeping and in a hurry. He was on the highway headed to his construction job when a gust of wind came up and blew the top off the jeep. He was lucky no one was behind him because they probably could have been killed. BUT!! Instead of going back to get it, he left it on the side of the road!!! His excuse was he didn't want to be late for work. When he went back for it later in the day, of course it was no longer there. It took him several days to get the courage to tell us the truth. The jeep was parked at the end of the driveway with a "for sale" sign on it the next morning...
                            Jeanne, Great story!
                            LaVita
                            evanflein

You sold YOUR Jeep cuz he did that? I'd have taken the keys away and made him buy a replacement top... hmmm, but that's just me. I'm pretty confident in his ability, I'm just not so confident that he'll pay attention and watch what's going on all the time. But then, he would or wouldn't do that if I was here, also. I guess it's just that if something were to happen to him and/or car, I'd prefer to be here than on the other side of the continent. So... still thinkin' about it.
                              wildchild

Carolyn

After two days of unseasonably warm temps Monday and Tuesday, and two carpy sluggish runs, yesterday was cool and cloudy and IRC! I had a GREAT 6.6 mile run at lunchtime, bare-legged like Holly, temp in the high 40s. There were snow flurries flying by the end. Wonderful run! Then I came back to work, had a long conference call with a client, and ended the day getting my two-week layoff notice. Sad (see my other thread) I'm so glad I have running to help me deal with the stress! This afternoon I have a 2 pm doctors appt, and I'm planning on going running afterward and not coming back to work. What are they gonna do, fire me? Big grin

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.