Masters Running

Thursday Rock and Roll Day (Read 521 times)

wildchild

Carolyn

Just back from a nice tempo 5 miles at 9:34 avg pace followed by a 1.2 mile cooldown. It finally cooled off in Denver - only 56° and overcast today with a few sprinkles of rain - IRC! Had to do a speedy run while it's cool. Yesterday I only had time for 2.5 miles on the trail after work - if it was flat I could have fit in more miles in the 36 minutes it took, but it was steep and rocky so I walked fast going up and ran slowly coming down. But I so love trail running! And it was too hot yesterday to run anywhere in the flatlands - had to seek higher ground. Teresa, too bad your DS didn't do well on his SATs, but congrats to him on all the awards! If SAT results are out today, I can't wait till I get home to find out how DD did on hers. Crossing my fingers for her. Hi Munch! Glad you had a nice 5 mile walk today - hope you're feeling better now. Holly, those were pretty quick and consistent intervals no matter what the distance. Our local school (HS, MS, and elementary all in one school) doesn't have a track. The only track I've ever run on is indoors at the rec center, but its 100 meters and I don't think I can totally get up to speed there because of all the tight corners. I'd like to try a bigger outdoor track sometime.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

evanflein

Back from PT. She said go run and have fun. I think I can do that! Big grin But, since I ran yesterday I'm pool running tonight. Gonna do the every-other-day thing for a bit, then I've got to see how it goes. Going to be a good weekend, I can tell.
      TammyinGP

Big grin yay Erika!! Glad you got the clearance to run!

Tammy

Imminent Catastrophe

Ok, somewhere between 11-15 easy miles scheduled for me today. Guess I'd better go do it.
          You run on non-race days?

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

xor

You run on non-race days?
            Who are you again? Yessiree Bob, I run every day! WOOHOO! As for today, I ran 7.1 easy this morning and 4.7 easy this afternoon... so 11.8. On the low end of what I thought I might do, but I also worked in my yard and played with my dogs. Is ok.

dg.

Back from PT. She said go run and have fun. I think I can do that! Big grin But, since I ran yesterday I'm pool running tonight. Gonna do the every-other-day thing for a bit, then I've got to see how it goes. Going to be a good weekend, I can tell.
              Big grin Yes Cool
              dg.

<gloat> Tim Looney, Blazing Byll, CassidAAmius, the charming Mrs. Blazing (she is a sweetheart), & Roch. such a nice group, which included DWinAA (photographer) & DSinAA. The lunch with friends of which I spoke. Erika, you were right. Smile</gloat>
                stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Ahem, Deb--there's someone important missing from this picture. as nice as the others may be.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

xor

People picture! Caption request! It's freaking me out that I'm pretty sure I know who dude on the left is, but I can't place him.

dg.

Oh, Kevin. Blush One of these days, mebbe. Wink Sorry Stevie Ray. Corrected. Tim runs ultras. Maybe you've met.
                      SteveP

1.5 Tag miles tonight. We saw some very large blooms on trilliums.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:T._grandiflorum.jpg...The dog ran off trail, trampled them and ran back. There was a skinny tree with smooth bark. It has some kewl blooms on it and they smelled sweet. We made it to the river..the dog went down to get a drink. His front foot slipped in and the little princess had a fit. After a bit, I got him to get his feet went and he started biting at the water. So, there is hope. I don't want to coax him into swimming until his mom DW can be there. His antics make her laugh.

SteveP

xor

Oh, Kevin. Blush One of these days, mebbe. Wink Sorry Stevie Ray. Corrected. Tim runs ultras. Maybe you've met.
                          Ah, Mr Looney. Have not met. Know from clubhouse and my previous life at kick.

Marathon Maniac #3309

RE: the 400 yard track suggestion. I did a little research and could find nothing about 400 yard tracks or races. I also found out that around 1976 is when most races and records switched to meters instead of yards...I graduated in 1977 and we still raced the 440 yards (I think I remember running a little over 53 seconds at that time) So, about that time is when the tracks switched. They kept the mile run because of how popular this distance was, and they simply added 9 meters to 4 laps to make a mile - 1609 meters equals a mile...actually they start the race 9 meters back, instead of running more at the end. (did I get and read that right) I still think a middle school cinder track would be yards not meters. Holly, maybe you could call and ask how long that track has been there. Just because someone said 400 yards doesn't mean they really know anything about distances. To a non runner...400 meters, 440 yards..whats the difference, which means out of ignorance they could say 400 yards. And if there were "no" 400 yard races, then why build a 400 yard track...doesn't make sense. Regardless, good job "speedy" Holly. I agree with Karin the next time you say you are not fast....LA LA LA with my fingers in my ears. Erika, I am sooo happy about your good news Dear! GO Bill and Tall...you guys are going to Rock your Marathons...can't wait to hear about them. Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!