Masters Running

Thursday runs & stuff ,weather you liked it or not (Read 533 times)

4.2 miles in deep fluffy white stuff. It was nice and I got a lot of strange looks. Really felt like I should have taken out the cross country skis instead. I still might as the white stuff is really deep now. I ran down one road that had visible footprints, spread out, so clearly that person had been running. I tried landing in the same footprints, boy that guy/gal had been going fast, I could hardly stretch my stride and go fast enough to keep hitting the spots. Good way to do striders!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Neat to hear about the snowy runs. Since I'm working on a training schedule, I've been thinking about target paces. For me right now, my "easy" pace seems to come in around 8:30, so I'm calling anything between 8:15 and 8:45 easy. The slow end is for really easy days, while the fast end can accommodate the strides, etc, that Ribs mentions. Based on my recent 1/2 McMillan's tempo range is 7:15-7:34, which seems about right and LR's @ 8:29-9:29, again, that seems about right. Put it all together and most paces are covered: 5K = 6:50ish Tempo = 7:15-7:34 MP = 7:55-8:00 Easy = 8:15-8:45 LR = 8:30-9:30 Recovery = 9:00+ Coincidentally, I just e-mailed Lou today asking about his training schedule (there's a link in his signature) and his paces. Of course, he brews so much he's forgotten how many pairs of running shoes he has piled up in his closet, so maybe he's not the best source of advice.

Be safe. Be kind.

As much as we talk about Pfitz, McMillan and the pace charts, what it all boils down to is that you will improve your running if you can train your heart rate, and you can pretty much learn this yourself.
        I love this quote Ribs. Way back before I knew anything at all about running or that there was such a thing as "plan", I just went out and ran every day at the pace that felt okay for that day. Not too easy, not too hard. I kept the daily miles at 5-7 and the weekends at 10-15. I did this for a year with zero speedwork and zero tempo running and improved my 10 mile time by something like 10 minutes. I imagine now that I spent the entire year running in no-man's land. If only it were that simple now! Big grin enke, maybe the person ahead of you was just tall? BTW, where is Tall these days? Tim, hang in there bro. Is there any way that you can elliptical or is that too much stress on the AT?

Once a runner . . .

Marathon Maniac #957

When I plug in my recent 5-mile race time (42:02) into the McMillan calculator, it gives me a 5K pace of 8:10. A year ago my 5K pace (PR) was 7:23. How can I have slowed down this much? I know I spent time on the DL in the summer, but I've been back running 40mpw for months. I'm beginning to wonder if I will EVER see the race times of 2007 again. Maybe that season was just a fluke. Sad

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

nono, it sounds like you have a lot to be stressed about. I hope things go well. lame, add my best wishes to the list. Nice long runs for evan and Peter. Good job on the speedwork for maine. Yesterday, I went to East Lansing to see a Michigan State basketball game with my kids. Since it was a little late, I stayed over with my son and came back this morning. Back at home, I did 5 miles on the TM at 1% and 6.2mph (9:40 pace). A good day and good runs for all. TomS
            lamerunner

Hello again; yes, fatozzig, rheumatoid arthritis. Pretty much killed my competitive running career, but there are good meds now and when otherwise healthy I have been able to stay pretty active... maybe too much so based on recent events. I am hoping the injections help and I can resume at least some degree of running again. Hang in there Tim. I did not realize you could not stretch the AT. You may not want to rush to the elliptical. Can you walk briskly? Meg, glad to see you running fast again.
                Wow, not only do I get a mid-day run in today, (first in what seems like forever) but I come back to find a thread full of really thoughtful running advice. I won't disturb the advice by offering my own. 7.6 rolly and brisk miles, 8:23's (1:03:41), 142/159

King of PhotoShop

Holly, if I had to make a guess, it would be that you perhaps tire yourself with all the core work you do, especially in the legs. But that is your choice. It is just possible that 40 mile weeks, PLUS the other fitness work you are doing is making you fatigued. That said, one race is no predictor and you should make an effort to run any local fiveK when it comes up. Then once you have that benchmark, you can calculate all the other desired paces, similar to what Tramps posted above. i have all of these for me, and I make sure anyone I coach has them too. It's the first thing we agree on. Spareribs
                    When I plug in my recent 5-mile race time (42:02) into the McMillan calculator, it gives me a 5K pace of 8:10. A year ago my 5K pace (PR) was 7:23. How can I have slowed down this much? I know I spent time on the DL in the summer, but I've been back running 40mpw for months. I'm beginning to wonder if I will EVER see the race times of 2007 again. Maybe that season was just a fluke. Sad
                    Or maybe the 5-miler is the fluke...or at least not up to what you're capable of. A 22:55 5K is the "equivalent" of a 37:59 5-miler. You'll get it back. Slow and steady. ETA: Ribs, as usual, brings up an important point. Your workouts are killers; I'd never be able to do those and still get my typical runs in. But I'm sure you are in much better overall shape as a result.

Be safe. Be kind.

evanflein

I think I spend a LOT of time in "no man's land" as far as pacing goes. I tend to go out and for the most part run how my legs feel like running that day. Sometimes I surprise myself. I also find my pace dictated a lot by terrain, and my "average pace" some days doesn't really mean much. When I use the McMillan pace calculator, I get all sorts of stuff because my races really aren't "equivalent" times. What I plug for the 5k had no bearing on my 10k PR... and according to my 10k PR, I should be able to do a 3:36:25 marathon, which would be a couple of minutes faster than my PR this past year. So, I do take it all with a grain of salt. While I like racing and like to improve, I'm not making money at this (quite the opposite!) and it's not my job, so to some extent... I just like to run. Smile That being said, I tend to use my 5k PR of 22:30 as a guideline, at least for shorter distances (half and under). This has me doing "recovery jogs" at 9:53 to 10:23 pace, and I just have to say I don't think I have ever, ever run that slowly. I think I'd lose my mind. "Steady-State" runs, which I think I do a lot of, should be 7:57 to 8:11 pace and for the most part, I can hammer out a nice 7-9 mile 8:15 pace run most any time if I'm not facing significant hills, so I guess that's ok. Tempo at 7:37 to 7:57 is about right but I have to be well rested to do that. Long runs at 8:53 to 9:53... well, maybe the faster end of the range there What's missing is all the runs I do at 8:20 to 8:35, which is my favorite pace and unfortunately seems to be in "no man's land" on this, but does fall right into my goal marathon pace for a 3:38 to 3:45 marathon. ETA: Glad Tim knows not to stretch a strained tendon. It's the absolute worst thing you can do to it! And Holly... that's not the first time you've heard what Tramps and SR are saying. Wink

Renee the dog

Thank you folks for all the well-wishes regarding my Mom and my spastic attitude about it all. I appreciate it. Equally, I appreciate all the running discussion today to keep my mind busy! Lots of things for me to consider.

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Marathon Maniac #957

Yes, but Erika, Tramps and SR, although I am hitting the weights a little harder than usual right now in a build-up phase, the season that I had those great PRs I was doing almost these same workouts, every Monday and Friday, coming off a season of Body for Life. Last spring I curtailed my weights workouts, but I did not get faster as a result. In fact, I got slower.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

enke, maybe the person ahead of you was just tall?
                            I'd like to think so but well I'm tall so it must be that they were just plain fast. Sometimes I think it doesn't matter what paces you run, just run, run lots, some fast, most easy and don't forget to charge those hills. Then other times I think there must be a magic formula...and if only I could find it! Right now I am working off the theory that there should be a 3 minute difference per mile in training paces from 1 mile intervals to recovery runs. So I work between 8:30 and 11:30. Elites work between 5 and 8 don't they?

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Mariposai

Very interesting and timely post about target pace. I must admit that since I started paying attention to my target pace for my key workouts I have felt less tired, I feel a bit speedier, and most importantly I feel like my runs no longer leave me waisted, even when I am doing 6x800s at a 8:10 pace, which is speedy for my little legs. I also know that my overall outlook at running has changed since I don't feel like I have to kill myself every time I go running Cool. {{{{{{Aamos}}}}}}} I wanna go out to play in the snow, I wanna ski, I wanna make snow angels...but no......I am stuck inside Dead Inspirational striders enkephalin. I wonder if the taperboy decided to go skiing in the fresh new snow they got in Seattle.I would if I were him.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

King of PhotoShop

I won't disturb the advice by offering my own.
                                Thoughtful dialog is what helps us all to learn. I doubt your contributions would be less valuable than anyone else's here. You are a fine runner. Jump in. Spareribs