Masters Running

Thu Sep 25 Runs and Workouts (Read 791 times)

King of PhotoShop

Perhaps someone will just explain it instead of saying "that's so easy". I am guessing that "Potium" is a misspelling of the intended word "Podium." But what I don't understand is what a "podium finisher" is. I have never heard that phrase before and I have run hundreds of races. Can someone elaborate here? Mary, instead of pics of the dogs, how about one of that dance recital you alluded to earlier. Spareribs
      able to sneak out of the hospital and get to the track and then over to witness DS2's CC meet...fun to watch 7 miles in total 1 warmup ~8min pace 1mile 6:15---all with 2 minute rest intervals 2x1200M---~4:35 (6:07pace) 3x800M---~2:58 (5:56pace) 4x400M---~1:21 (5:25pace) 1 mile cooldown ~9:30 biked 5 miles to/from track
      dg.

aww, enke i'm so sorry! would you like to share my wall?
        I was stupid. I kept running when I could start to feel it getting more sore, instead of immediately ditching the run.
        might have the makings for another motivational poster. mta, hi Dale! very speedy. how was the meet?
          mta, hi Dale! very speedy. how was the meet?
          Hi Deb! The meet was very fun. Our kids took the first 8 spots, and DS2 finished 12th-holding off a big kid closing fast at the end. As a 6th grader running against the 7th and 8th graders, he has less of a shot this year, but he will get older and faster. It was a good race and he was happy with his time-his fastest this year... I knew so many of the boys from little league baseball that I was able to cheer for at least 12 or 13 by name as they went by...Big fun! Smile
            I screwed up my foot again today, possibly worse than the first time. #$%@#!!! I was stupid. I kept running when I could start to feel it getting more sore
            Enke, this is like deja vu--didn't Econo use to aggravate her foot problems like this? Must be a PNW thing. Speaking of the PNW, this afternoon I was hanging out at Dark Colt's middle school cross-country practice, and I noticed that the coach looked a lot like Soundie, who is also a kids' cross-country coach, or used to be. Before practice the coach said to me, "We're so glad to have Dark Colt on our team! For years I've been hearing about him, and finally last year, someone told me, 'Next year you're going to have Dark Colt!'" I said, "Yeah, he's not that fast, but he likes it." She said, "Oh, I beg to differ!" I refrained from saying, "He was faster at 8 years old than he is now at 12." On Tuesday all the kids ran a timed 2 miles on the track, their first practice run of the year, and he did 14:11. He could beat that time when he was 8 years old and running 12 miles a week. But the main thing is, he's out there now having fun with kids his age on an organized team, and you can see on his glowing face what a great time he's having. It's no longer my place to push him. As the season goes on, he'll fall somewhere into the pecking order, and he will have to decide for himself how he feels about that and what he wants to do about it. If he wants to do something about it, I can help him. If not, I'll just drive him to and from practices and meets, stay cool, stay in the background, let him be a kid on his own terms. <brag>Today we got Dark Colt's MCAS test scores in the mail. These are tests the state gives to school kids every year. In math he got the maximum score of 280, and in English he got 272 out of 280.</brag> Today I got my first paycheck for teaching high school Latin part-time. According to the check detail, they are paying me $45 per hour. When you figure in my driving time and prep time for the one class I teach per day, I'm actually getting about $1.63 per hour. But it's a start. Dark Horse
            I'm a dark horse, running on a dark race course.
              Now Ribs, sounds like you are being willfully obtuse. Econo had PF?? I don't think that's what I have, but of course I don't know for sure. DH - kudos to the kid.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

I am guessing that "Potium" is a misspelling of the intended word "Podium." But what I don't understand is what a "podium finisher" is.
                Ribs, "podium finishers" are those people up on the platform after the race, getting trophies from the organizers. If you're like me, you have never been invited to stand up there after a race, which may be why you don't know anything about it. Dark Horse
                I'm a dark horse, running on a dark race course.
                  ...congratulations DH//.........if he's Happy, you're doing it right...... 4 more years til The Olympics anyway.

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Ouch...Enke and dg.....! So sorry and the wall has been used by just about everyone here is my guess. Great news Dark Horse. I was faster when I was younger too, but I have way more fun now. It sound slike he is loving the experience and that matters. Come back in time for the Hot Chocolate 5k and you and Dark Colt will be up in the front this time. Good on your son too Dtoce. I LOVE watching x-country meets. My father used to ask me what I did after the start and we went into the woods: "What did you all do out there, stop for snacks?" He was a sprinter and hurdler and believed that running track was true and pure running. Actually he had the loudest and deepest voice out there and I could hear him cheering---RUN STRONG KAR-IN------as I plunged into the woods all over Upstate NY (trying always to be a podium finisher). Thanks for reminding me of those special days. CNYrunner
                    wildchild

Carolyn

Ribs, "podium finishers" are those people up on the platform after the race, getting trophies from the organizers. If you're like me, you have never been invited to stand up there after a race, which may be why you don't know anything about it. Dark Horse
                      Big grin I googled Podium finisher and found this on Wikipedia: "A podium (plural podia) is a platform that is used to raise something to a short distance above its surroundings. (off topic but interesting: "Podium has incorrectly come to mean the object a speaker stands behind and sets papers or books upon, even when it is at floor level, though the correct term for that item is lectern. The terms are not interchangeable. Correct usage, you always stand on a Podium, but you never stand on a lectern. You lean against a lectern while standing on a Podium.") "One common type of podium is used to honor medalists in sporting events such as the Olympics.Some sports, most notably rowing shun podia, and the symbolism they represent." REALLY off topic (not sure how this got into the wikipedia article: "Canadians are popularly known as hosers who drink maple syrup, live in igloos and play hockey with polar bears." Shocked (I am not making this up) "Usage in Motorsport: The term has become common parlance in the media, where a driver may be said to "be heading for a podium finish" or "just missing out on a podium" when he is heading for, or just misses out on a top three finish."

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Wow I cannot believe how many pages there are for today's daily! Wish I had time to respond but alas I am traveling for work and I have an appointment in a few minutes. Oh well, at least I should get a good (free!) dinner out of it. Smile So, to cut to the chase, today's run was supposed to be 17 miles with 14 at MP pace. Technically, I made it but it was not pretty. Sad It turns out Columbia South Carolina is a rather hilly place! I started of smart by heading down to the river and running along it. But then the trail ran out and I decided to go up into the neighborhood and find the river again further along. Well, it turns out there is no getting to the river further along! Instead it was up and down, up and down hills. Ugh. My legs are shot. I hope everybody had a good day running today and will run well tomorrow. Reading through the daily it seems like the masters are not only running well but running happy which is always good to see.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

"Canadians are popularly known as hosers who drink maple syrup, live in igloos and play hockey with polar bears." Shocked (I am not making this up)
                          As a Canadian...it sounds just about right. To me, a hoser is anyone with a lumberjacket on, says "beer me" when wanting another brewski and says "F###ing A" a lot (that means "really good eh?"). That is about 95% of the population. Sigh...I miss my igloo.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Marathon Maniac #957

But the main thing is, he's out there now having fun with kids his age on an organized team, and you can see on his glowing face what a great time he's having. It's no longer my place to push him. As the season goes on, he'll fall somewhere into the pecking order, and he will have to decide for himself how he feels about that and what he wants to do about it. If he wants to do something about it, I can help him. If not, I'll just drive him to and from practices and meets, stay cool, stay in the background, let him be a kid on his own terms.
                            Excellent outlook. You are a great dad. Also, many kudos to Dark Colt for his fine test scores. Oddly, when I clicked "quote," that part didn't show up, due to the "brag" formatting. (see, I can't even put it in here, because it messed up my post.) Smile Wildchild and Enke - Big grin Big grin Big grin

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

King of PhotoShop

Thank you DH. I swear I have never heard the expression "podium finisher" despite Enke's belief that I am being "willfully obtuse." Also, that's pretty good news about DC and your hoped for plan to just be quiet and see if this is something that will grow within him. I sure hope it does. There is clearly talent there. Now here is something that you will enjoy. In Riblet's school they have 40 boys in the sixth grade, divided into two classrooms. Unless there is a subject where they have to go elsewhere for the facilities, such as computer lab, art or gym, they stay in their classroom all day long and the teachers come to them, which minimizes hall traffic and moves things along. The protocol in the school is that when the teacher walks into the room, the boys stand to the side of their desks and greet the teacher. When the Latin teacher walks in, they shout "Salve Magister!" I just love this. Spareribs
                                8.03 miles - 2 miles warmup - 4 miles moderately hard - 2 miles cool down - 1:02:33 (7:47) Avg HR 139 Max HR 152 8:36 - 8:36 - 7:27 - 7:26 - 7:12 - 7:16 - 7:57 - 7:57 - 0:12