Masters Running

Wed July 30, 2014 Daily (Read 29 times)

Tramps

Good morning.  Where are all the early birds?

58F this morning…in July! Unheard of for us but I’m lovin’ it.

Carolyn—time for a whole house surge protector?  Glad the damage wasn’t too bad.

Enke—I’m impressed you’ve gotten to #19.  Perseverance!

Tammy—hope you’re safe and they get it under control soon.

Steve—congrats on the new grandkid but “Yet to be determined” is an odd name.

Stumpy’s right, Richmond’s on my radar again.  Haven’t signed up yet but plan to.  I’ve got a futon, a couch, and plenty of floor space for any travelers.  75 minutes from the race.

EZ 5

Be safe. Be kind.

BlazinCajun

Morning Tramps

Holly - Both of my daughter's are now in high school and scheduling activities around our family rhythm gets crazy. Seems like school just extends through the summer without a break. Youngest daughter just won the regional science fair in middle school and then had to complete paper work for a Broadcom Masters Program that was fairly difficult, plus had to complete summer pre-work in preparation for upper level algebra in high school; and also gymnastics and volleyball. Oldest daughter has been studying for the SAT, drivers education classes, summer pre-work as well, and of course volleyball. Did I say the VOLLEYBALL is every DAY? This week both of them are volunteering at the Sister's of Charity in Atlanta to help with ongoing vacation bible school. Oldest daughter has Catholic young adult camp next week in Brevard, NC. All this activity stuff is like running, with every new level of stress, there is adaption. The "Here We Go Again" routine with these activities steels us in preparation for more of the same. No matter how we try to simplify, another curb ball is probably headed our way. Your daughter will do great - like "mom I've got this".

E Run scheduled for this evening. Have a greta day!:-)

Andrew
      ------------------
      God, my Lord, is my strength;
      he makes my feet swift as those of hinds
      and enables me to go upon the heights.
      Hb 3:19

...actually'' Yeti'' is a Great Name for a GrandBaby//...........Congratulations steve........

===========

NewPlan-

.......RacingCrutch Walking at the Y

PoolRun to follow

HotBath soaking

and a TENS unit for desert

........what could possibly go wrong??

.............then wait at My House for the Damn CableMan to show up........and they say I'm not a FunGuy.....

..................good running guys......

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Dave59

I ran a few miles earlier this morning in my new High Risk Red Brooks Pureflow 3's.  I liked how they felt and it was a real smooth run.  I ran a couple more miles later so I could get closer to 100 miles for the month.  Tomorrow I will just need 5 miles to get there.

SteveP - Congratulations on the new grandkid.

It probably is wasted money, but I signed up for the Big Island Half Marathon on 3/15/2015.  I tried before but the problem has been getting Cindy to want to go.  We are discussing how to jump over to Japan to visit friends before or after the race so she will be more interested in the trip.

Yeah, 59F here, with high humidity, but nice.

Did 3.1 Remi miles.  He found a bone and then wanted to come straight home..  As usual.

Steve, congratulations!  She looks like a keeper and love the little hat.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

King of PhotoShop

Raining here in N. TX, but to give you an idea of how well the Saint has progressed in her running, she did 5.5 miles with me in the rain and never mentioned it at all. We ran with two other friends and when I was pooped at 5.5, she and the other guy kept on going, and she got in 7.25 for the day.  Very proud of her progress.

Tomorrow Hudson and I fly up to Omaha where he will visit Creighton University for two days and I'm looking forward to it mostly for the time with him.  He has sure had a great year and we have high hopes for him after his upcoming h.s. senior year.

Tomorrow is a very big day for me.  It is July 31st and those of you on this forum for a long time may even be surprised that it will be the sixth anniversary of this remarkable day:

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/MastRun/forum/a8c6a3bff71a4b44bbea47d53aa43291/0

To think that I am running once again six years later and doing so well just amazes me all the time. I reread the post this morning and was again touched by all your comments.  You should know that when I first wrote it, it was formatted into paragraphs, but over time something went screwy and it's now a long single block of text and not easy to read, so don't read it.  Just scroll to the comments.

Tomorrow is also a very sad day in our family as it is the two-year anniversary of the passing of my beloved brother-in-law Joe, who all of you know was a terrific runner, father, husband and friend to me.

Thanks all of you for being you.  Spareribs

,,,glad you ARE doing that good Ribbs//////

==========

well, the plan seemed to work

20-minRacingCrutchesWalking

and

36mprnb

deo

..........I just HAD to get in some FreshAir and Sunshine,

the indoor pool bit is a good work-out

but Outside is soooooooo much more enjoyable.

...................good running to the rest of ya

eta-

oh no//......my Greatest Fears have been Realized,,,and in Finland no less

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aquajogging

The AquaJogging World Championships..............shudder.......

Marathon Maniac #957

Blazin - that IS a busy schedule!  What will we do with all our extra time when they grow up?

Ribs - I can hardly believe it has been six years, or even that it has been two since Joe passed.....

TomWhite - 

6.4 fartlek-filled miles for me this morning in 57 degrees.

Finally I have passed that pace bunny!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

TammyinGP

Congrats on the newest grandbaby Steve!

the local fire seems to be under good control. They hit this hard and fast and it didn't get to more than about 225 acres (small compared to what our area usually sees in forest fires which is in the tens of thousands of acres!). 90% containment today I think.

our heat pump (A/C) decided to quit yesterday afternoon. but of course - it's only 105+ every.single.day, so I guess that's when I'd up and quit also.  Having someone look at it today to determine if it's a relatively inexpensive part that needs to be replaced, or if we are better off just replacing our 17 yr old heat pump.

Tammy

StarrRuns I know you were hoping to have Spareribs answer your question about interval training, but if you will settle for this link http://www.runnersworld.com/workouts/whats-the-most-effective-length-for-interval-repetitions you will find a discussion of a recent meta analysis of this issue.  The short answer is that intervals between 3 and 5 minutes in length seem to provide the greatest bang for the buck.  Just make sure you do them at your 5k pace or so in order to push on your VO2 max level.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

mrrun

Steve - congrats on 'yet' - love the name!

Dave - we ran the hilo half a couple of years ago and it's beautiful. you start around 6 am and see the sun rise, the roosters crowing - hills in the second half.

npr had a report this morning on fires in oreg & wash. glad they are more under control.

ribs - congrats on milestone

8 miles on charles in afternoon because no time in the coolth of the morning.  met henrun on the T coming back

marj

Mariposai

Holly, congrats for finally passing the pace bunny. I am so far behind, I decided to give up for this year and start again next year.

Twocat, great to see your avatar is zombies free. I have some catching up to do with Abel Township, I see .

Spareribs, 6 years already, incredible. Have fun traveling with your son.

Jlynne, good luck with the intervals. They are not fun to do, but theysure pays back nicely over time.

I worked 14 hours yesterday and my desire to wake up to run at 5am never came to fruition. I needed the rest more than the run, I guess.

I took an extra hour for lunch today thinking that I can fit in a run, but it is 99F right now. Even running on a TM in my basement is not an option (we don't have AC down there). So, I did zumba instead. All is well.

Today is friendship day in Paraguay. Feliz dia amigos!!! Thanks for always being here for me.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

The Saint is definitely a serious runner. You two are a great pair, Ribs. So sorry about your sad anniversary - and hope Hudson likes Creighton. How will the two of you survive with him being so far away? Then it's "empty nest" time, right?

Enjoy that cool weather Tramps.

Hope you didn't give the cable guy too hard of a time Tom. Usually when they give you a "window" of time to show up, it's usually 5 minutes before the "window" is set to expire!

Is there a name yet Steve?

Congrats on passing the pace bunny Holly.  Like Mariposai, I've given up and will try again in 2015.

Well, I officially hit retirement age today. It's funny - I don't feel a day over 62   Had a nice run this morning and got a lot of nasty cards. I'm having lunch with my two sons tomorrow without their wives/kids and really looking forward to some mother-son time.

Hope you had a great day everyone.

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

Ribs--what is the Saints running history?  She can't be a complete newbie.  Wasn't it just a month ago, she started running with you and, now, she's running over 7 miles?  Anyway...she's doing great.

Where's Jay?

So, a few weeks ago, I went to sign up for the Minnesota Senior Games.  I got on their site, was about ready to pay my fee...and, for some reason,  backed out.  I just started questioning if it was really a good idea.  I'm trying to get ready for a 50 miler...why would I mess around with this stuff...so, I figured I should give it more thought.  I was pretty sure I had read that I had until the 26th.  After going back and forth I finally decided to just do it.  So, on the 24th, I went back to the site...uh, oh...registration ended on the 21st.  Oh, well...no big deal.  But, then, all of a sudden, I really wanted to do it. And besides, after my wife was talking smack about me with her old high school friend, how could I not?  I didn't want the guy to think I was ducking him.  So, I emailed them and askd if there was any way I could still get in.  Well, yesterday they got back to me, and I'm in.  This Saturday, I'm signed up for the 100 meter, the 800 meter, and the 1500 meter races.  I have a wedding to get to, though, so I might have to miss the 800...which won't break my heart.  Then, next Saturday is the 10K road race.  So, now, I don't really know how I feel.  I'm definitely not ready to run a 100 meter dash...do I have to use blocks?  Oh, well...it should be fun.  And, by the way...there are a bunch of fast guys in my age group.  I can think of 4 guys off the top of my head that can kick my butt, so...the only way for me to qualify for Nationals is if they don't show up.

Okay--that's it.  I gotta get to bed.