Masters Running

Wednesday's Daily, 7.16.14 (Read 32 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

The $#%&* elevators even say "Howdy" when you get in.  

Seriously?  

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

One of my favorite cracks is that technology is great, except that it never works.  Today was just such a lesson in that.  I went to put on my Garmin and the battery was dead.  I am not sure what happened as it was definitely attached to the charger at some point yesterday since that caused it to autoconnect to my PC, which it did.  No problem, I will just use my DW's.  Battery -dead.  Ugh!  Well, we have a "backup" Garmin.  An old one that was refurbished once upon a time and we now use only when the others are out of commission.  Battery - dead.  Well, then I will use the GPS on my cell phone to keep track of the run.  Off I go with the cell phone and Zombies Run on, which should (there is that horrible word "should") record the run.  Well it did, about 0.8 miles of it!    Why?  Because I forgot to turn the wi-fi off when I left the house.  The wi-fi can interfere with the app's ability to record where you are with the GPS.  I knew that.  Just forgot to turn it off.  I guess I should be thankful a car did not run me over along with the rest.  Although, the way electronics are behaving around me it seems likely the car's batter would go dead before it could hit me and thus stop the metal monster cold!  

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Marathon Maniac #957

My son has decent grades, but is no superstar, and with an SAT of 2170 and an ACT of 32, he is a bit above average, but not up in the stratosphere where he is guaranteed some great deal. 

I would call that a little better than average - very nice!

We had a little cooldown and this morning's run was in 56 degrees.  Amazing how energetic that can make you feel after running in the H&H!

8 miles for me, including 3 x 1 mile intervals with am 30-second recoveries.  Intervals were 8:53, 8:24, 8:19.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

One of my favorite cracks is that technology is great, except that it never works.

...true dat//........my TENS unit has 8-settings,

when I forget,

one of them hits ''Intensive'' and I jerk around like a FrogLeg hooked up to a Battery..

technology ain't always pretty.

==========

...but I digress.......

.....25-min CaneStroll on the SoccerFields...........then 30mprnb deo

followed by sitting (sorta) on my TENS unit for 20-minutes.

whatever works.

...................good running guys...........erika//......Easy on the Leg......

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

For the last couple of days I have been meaning to link to this article by Alex Hutchinson at Runner's World.  It is titled the "The Unsung Benefits of Flexible Blood Vessels."

http://www.runnersworld.com/health/the-unsung-benefits-of-flexible-blood-vessels

He is one of two running blogs I follow regularly.  I think Mr. Hutchinson tends to push research a bit early.  That is, he is likely to blog favorably about a single study that shows something interesting leaving the impression that the result has strong support.  Instead, most singe research pieces should be read as "interesting if true" and I would personally land the paper he blogs about here in that category.  This is just a general problem in science.  We have a lot of people looking for results and their career depends on finding some.  This creates a lot of false positives in the scientific literature that can take decades to work out if it is not an experimental field.  A lot of medical research, like the one cited by Mr. Hutchinson, falls into that category.  You cannot collect a group of random people, then randomly assign some to exercising, some to becoming obese and others to holding stressful jobs.  This means it is difficult to know if people whose genes make them naturally healthy run because their genetic condition makes them good at it, or if running has led them to be healthy.  Same goes with all sorts of diets and supplements.  This was a rather long caveat to my link but I wanted to make sure nobody thought this study or take on it was getting my unbridled endorsement.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

evanflein

one of them hits ''Intensive'' and I jerk around like a FrogLeg hooked up to a Battery..

erika//......Easy on the Leg......

tomwhite, I had the tens unit treatment for a knee issue years ago. The first time, the PT set me up and left me in the room while it did it's thing. Being the curious sort, I reached down and turned it up to see what it would do. Yes, that frog leg reference is pretty accurate! (and yes, I got scolded for that....)

Being patient is hard when there's actually sunshine, no rain and not much wind out there. Sure a contrast to the last couple of windy, rainy, gloomy days... *sigh*

The "Howdy!" business reminds me a bit of the Colorado airport. The shuttle train has some country/cowboy-western music jingle when it arrives that drives me nuts.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

The "Howdy!" business reminds me a bit of the Colorado airport. The shuttle train has some country/cowboy-western music jingle when it arrives that drives me nuts.

at the airport in Louisville, they play "call to the starting gate" when the baggage carousels start up.  I was looking around for the horses..........

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Fletch

Greetings.  Nice running/training.

Joined the Freaky Fast Gang at 4:45 this morning for the speed workout (timed pyramid intervals - 5.5 miles total).

Had to detour around the firetrucks blocking the road as they tried to extinguish an early morning fire at one of my favorite pizza joints (just ate there last night). Looks like it's a total loss.

Run safe and strong!

shadow runner

The Shirtless Wonder

Evening folks.  Great running and training today.

Great run tonight, postponed from this morning...when I convinced myself that the rumbles I heard were thunder so I could sleep in.   Anyway glad I did because tonight was 81F with NO HUMIDITY...the 9 miles  scheduled today just seemed to fly tonight.  Everything physically clicked just like the weather.   Overall time was 73:37 with a couple of splits in the high 7's and low 8's.  I love it when a run just comes together.

If you're in the Northeast - hope you got out there tonight - the weather is awesome.

Night all.

Joe Suder

Nulla camisia et nulla problematum 

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Holly - mikemp'll have confirm it when he gets over there but, in Japan, they say , "douzo irrashaimase" on the way in, and “arigatou gozaimashita” on the way out.

/

ps twoCAT - as my son reminded me about 30 years ago, “dad, dad, Jason’s father has a watch without batteries, he just winds it up!”

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Mariposai

Being patient is hard when there's actually sunshine, no rain and not much wind out there. Sure a contrast to the last couple of windy, rainy, gloomy days... *sigh*

Howdy sistahh, hang in there. This also shall pass and you will be on your way to run the Equinox.

Nothing else to report today, but an awesome half hour cardio video workout at the office with my co-workers during lunch hour. 

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

SteveP

Aamos, DW loves her green beans. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

I'm becoming a pandora fan as well Nancy. At work, it's Rockabilly. In the garage, it's PsychoBilly. There is so much talent that never see the commercial light of day.

I may get a TENS unit's "intensive" setting to help DW get out of bed

Dad's stereo system finally went kaput. He was telling a salesperson what he wanted in a new system. At one point, the guy asked Dad if he churned his own butter.

SteveP