Masters Running

Sat Feb 23 Runs and Workouts (Read 648 times)

Another beautiful sunny mild day in the PNW, absolutely IRC. Tried out a new trail, a rail trail not far from here. Went 2.5 miles downstream then turned around and did 2.5 miles uphill back to the mud parking lot. 5 miles total, recovery pace mostly. I had some fantastic microbrews last night. Reminded me of how much I like beer. But that led to my first ever pit stop using Mother Nature as my bathroom today. I feel like a real runner now. Craneium - I hate how someone can be like that and then it puts you in a pissy mood for hours later. So much negative energy. What's the point? My daughter found a recently dead, but well preserved squirrel on the road outside our house. She made me dig a grave in the garden and bury it. Strange kid, she was really excited and into this whole thing. The little guy had his eyes open and looked so cute and fluffy. I imagine if he had been a true roadkill squashed squirrel with assorted guts spewing out, she wouldn't have been as into this, at least I hope not. Forgot to mention on my run yesterday, I came upon a toddler that was running about my pace, so I chased him and held out my arms like I was going to catch him. He turned around suddenly, snarled at me and threw a pine cone at my legs. I wasn't expecting that. Enjoy the weekend everyone!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

6 easy miles on a all easy week back from my sore foot. Tomorrows 12 miler will determine if I can get back to my regular scheduled programming. Spareribs, I had a bout with PF a few years back, It takes a while to get back all the way. I have no great advice for someone with your knowledge but what seemed to help me a lot was extra arch support and wearing shoes all the time ( never barefoot) even around the house. All the other wraps and stuff never really worked for me. Good luck and I do learn a lot from your posting wether it be on my crosswords or breadmaking. Fast recovery vibes your way Craneium, I now have an olympic set of weights in my garage because of just those kinds of things at the gym. Everyone needs to learn to share better. Wasn't there a book titled " Everything you need to know you learned in Kindergarten"? Rochrunner, Hope you also heal quickly, Being a Michigander also I was looking forward to possably meeting up at a race or two possably the Brooksie. Vista, I love dogs but I also hate when a good run is interupted by one. Y ou find yorself onthe lookout and not as relaxed for a few days after such an event Tslebs, Watch the weather brother, I have been excited about 30s allweek. Finally today was the warmest 30 degrees I ever remember. lol Roy , I see you are still on schedule, 12 miler tomorrow also? Holly and wildchild with bruised bums this week. Hope its not the guys turn next week. Slip sliding my way , good runs to everyone

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

btb1490

Happy Saturday! Smile deez4boyz- it sounds like your day yesterday went exactly as you had hoped! Great! Now I want to see what this turbo taper of yours does to your race this weekend! Tallrunner- good deal with the Mizuno's. That's my brand too. I hope those hot tubs clear the lungs in time for your run tomorrow. And no thanks on that ultra! Sicko. Holly- not you too! All that cross training you do probably saved you from doing serious damage to yourself. WRFB, PDR- thanks in advance for the Boston brew! RoyC- nice research on the Honda Pilot! Sarge- I hope you catch a break soon with the way you're feeling! munch- congrats on page 1! Seems you've recovered nicely from your race. Jeanne- did you remember how to run outside again? I'll bet it was the best run in a long time. TomS- 12 miles on the 'mill? Yeow! That was as much mental as it was physical. Tramps- come to Boston anyway! evryday- sounds like a good day to hit the trails. But then, any day is a good day for that. vista- that dog knew better! Either that or he decided there wasn't enough meat on you to bother. Ribs- I was excited to see you post, and was anxious to read about your next run. So my heart sank to read instead that your foot is acting up again. I hope this is just a minor setback. It was doing really well, so it will get there again. Great post from you as usual. JJJessee- glad you are back at it. On to your next adventure. seemomgo- that was some story about your mom! My dentist went on vacation to Florida over the Xmas/New Year break, had happen what happened to your mom, and just got back home a couple of weeks ago after being in the hospital down there the entire time. breger- you've been on a roll, so I'll bet you have a great run tomorrow. fussyrunner- you are gonna sleep good tonight! What a day of working out and other activities! Craneium- good idea to just let it go. I'll bet you have a GREAT run! stumpy77- keep working on those shins. They'll start cooperating eventually. Do you ice them too? Mariposai- come to Boston! And you don't even have to be a waitress, I'll buy you a beer. I hope you bounce back from your run and that today was just an off day. nonoruns- too funny about sleeping through your runs. I've done that too, all of a sudden it's like how'd I get here? lyndenrunner- smokin'! Not bad for someone who really isn't training for anything at the moment. charleygross- another crazy treadmill run today from a boomer! Great job! rochrunner- good to hear from you! Thanks for de-lurking. Healing vibes heading your way. enke- I love exploring new trails! And what was up with that kid? I hope you dusted him after that! halllar- Good luck with your 12 miler tomorrow. I hope the foot cooperates. I didn't want my run to start. All week I've felt crappy and today was no exception. Plus I had to work today, and was just mentally shot and it was later in the day, usually I'm a morning runner. Plus it was snowing heavy wet snow. So I bagged it. Called some friends when I got home to see what they were up to, and they said they were heading out to do some shopping and asked if I wanted to come along, so I said sure, come pick me up. Between the time that we spoke and the time they came to get me, the guilt set in, and I got dressed to run. They picked me up, and asked why I was going shopping in my running clothes. I asked them to reset their odometer, and drop me off when we're 10 miles out. That way, there would be no other way to get home other than to run. I picked a deserted, hilly backroad route and started out feeling very heavy. The snow was piled high on house rooftops and trees, smoke was billowing out of peoples chimneys, and the smell of woodfires were everywhere. Not a car, not a person was around. It was very peaceful and beautiful. For the next 10 miles, the lead weights that were attached to my muscles dropped away. The only vehicle that passed me the entire time was a truck sanding the roads. The only sounds were occasional seagulls, and the skish skish skish of my feet in the snow. It turned out to be an awesome run. I didn't want my run to end.
        wildchild

Carolyn

Um, I actually don't have ice or snow as an excuse why I fell the other day... I was on a dry dirt trail. It was steep and rocky, on the wide-open high plains. I just wasn't paying attention. Rest day for me today. Had to be up early to take DD to the orthodontist, then grocery shopping. I actually took a nap after lunch - sooo nice! Happy beer drinking, everyone!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

GreenMan

.....and drop me off when we're 10 miles out. That way, there would be no other way to get home other than to run. .....
            Big grin Point to point is built-in commitment. And more fun too. jjj
            Iron Mt. Trail Runners blogsite .... JJJessee blogsite ....Spring is here. Go outside and play.
            SteveP

Here is an observation I have. Ever notice that when people get hurt they drop off the board?
              Even if a person is injured, I still ike what they have to post. Maybe I can glean some insight. At the very least, we know how the recovery process is going. There's been times this last month or so, reading the challenges of others got me out the door. It seems the sproink is back. I like the fellowship here.....Though the dress code should be enforced. Craneium, we all have our days, however, attitudes like that aren't worth the sweat off your MUG. A few years ago, another guy and I were alone in the gym. I was single and had free time and was finishing up a four hour work out. I only had 200LBS on the barbell and I failed and pinned myself. The guy that was there to help me out was a former co worker I had cut loose for stealing.
              Forgot to mention on my run yesterday, I came upon a toddler that was running about my pace, so I chased him and held out my arms like I was going to catch him. He turned around suddenly, snarled at me and threw a pine cone at my legs. I wasn't expecting that. Enjoy the weekend everyone!
              I wonder the kid and I are related?????? Way to turn it around Btb. Well done. As we're getting ready for a Florida trip next Saturday, it seems as though my utility belt is out of shark repellant. So, while out in the Gulf, I'll make sure to wear my lucky ham. 5K today. The toughest one yet. More to follow.

SteveP

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

I must be getting so bored waitin' for mariposai's paraguaynian 26. 2 mile rr, I mean 42.195kms and maybe even aamos' 10duneyetus (yay, I've always wanted to use that word in a post and not have to use an "o" in it)-hampered Arizona mary, . . . to say nothing of how arf's doin' - that I went swimming for the first time since last August's triathlon (and first time in the pool in several years). kind of neat how the water magnifies all the mermaids in the next lane. Smile tired shoulders but not bad enough to prevent divechief from enticing me to get on DaleCanon and join him and Bianca for 33 miles around Bainbridge Island in tomorrow's annual Chilly Hilly. Good chance too to do something with divechief in abcentseeah arf so they won't think she is the only reason I've been breaking my winter tapering so much in the last two years to track them down in various area marathons and fun runs. Hi arf (and chuck!) mmariposai wenatchee/boston double>>>>>

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Marathon Maniac #957

If I had known a keg was going to Boston, I'd have run a lot faster last year. Good grief.
                  Big grin

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

evanflein

Rats, posting too late to make the BTB roundup! Hey, that is so fun when a run turns out like that. I've found that sometimes the runs that require the most work to get out the door end up being the best runs after all. Enke, that is just too strange about that child. Cute story about your kid and the squirrel though. Doesn't strike me as strange at all... prolly cuz it sounds like something I would've done! Craneium, you handled it very well. Hope it didn't put a damper on your day. I got out a little later than I'd intended, but got a nice 10.1 mile run in 20F, with the middle miles at tempo pace with fartleks up to 5k pace. Great run, even the hills felt good. Roadside was a little slick even with the Spikeys. Mile paces, per the Garmin: 8:27 8:17 9:07 (big hill) 7:57 (lots of fartleks here, pretty level) 8:40 8:27 8:40 8:02 9:12 (starting back up the hill to home) 9:22 8:05 (last .1 mile) Tomorrow will be a nice easy 12 or 14, depending on the route I take.
                      No damper on my day at all, I got to work out with my wife which I always enjoy. Put in an easy 5 miler late in the afternoon.
                        Good runs to all. 18 miles for me. The first 15 miles avg 11:15 pace...the last 3 miles avg 10:34 pace. I haven't posted a wildlife report in awhile. Today I saw 6 deer, an armadillo, and too numerous to count squirrels. The armadillo was really fast. I had no idea they could move that fast.
                        Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
                          Tet, have a blast tomorrow at the Chilly Hilly. Weather looks to be chilly but beautiful. I don't think she'd mind, so give the arfless chief a hug for me. Hey, I just saw in the Seattle Times that Prof. H. from the UW Marine Affairs program died. Sad Not sure if you knew him... I won't be able to attend the memorial tomorrow. Terrific teacher. Lynden, great workout, but I do worry you hammer too many of your runs every week. Easy runs are good and necessary you know. Smile Ribs, that bread recipe is on the docket for tomorrow p.m. I also really, reallly appreciate you continuing to post and wish more injured runners did. Last time I was injured, I think I posted nearly every boring bike ride I had... more for myself than anyone who was (not) interested. Wink But it helped my frame of mind. And being injured is part of being a runner. It always passed, too. I wish I had some magical cure for your PF. I think I've said this before, but I'm pretty convinced PF is one of those things that just eventually goes away when it's ready to. I did everything to get rid of it when I had it and one day it was just gone. I'm still not sure what I did "right." Oh, hey, are you wearing Danskos to all of your presentations? They make them in men's styles, you know.... that is one thing that made my foot feel ahhhhhhhhhh. They are still my favorite shoe. I don't think they make a cowboy boot style, though. Wink http://www.amazon.com/Dansko-Professional/dp/B000BIVTLA Posa, where's that Paraguay report?
                            Sounder,I have a 14 miler on tap for tomorrow...And I will purposely keep it very slow... Coach was just trying to test my speed and endurance...He also wants me to run a half next weekend,but I'm just having fun running right now and I don't feel I'm ready to race yet...
                            Looking for a place to Happen, making stops along the way - The Hip