Masters Running

6.16.15 (Read 33 times)

I need to do better at posting..

Decided on Columbus marathon over the 24 hour race..mainly because I'll be on vacation during the NC24.

Been easing back into running, but have also been doing a lot of walking. But, happy to be to the point where I can run 3 miles without too much pain--and in very hot/humid conditions. Also down almost 10 lbs in the past 1-1/2 weeks.

Columbus is 18 weeks away, so I'm roughly going to follow Higdon's beginning marathon plan. Despite having run 10 marathons in the past--I don't think I've ever even hit the mileage from a beginning plan leading up to a race. And the 20 mile run coincides nicely with vacation. Plenty of trails where we're going.

I would do a bunch of shout outs but I am typing this on my cell phone late (for me) at night. Today was 10 miles, work and packing in that order. Now to do a Mike E and go! Well not as fast as he can go. Seriously, I would need a bike to match his times!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Okay, this was freakin' hilarious!

Denise - that is an awesome race - you are my hero!  I am such a poor swimmer, I would never try even a sprint tri.  Unless of course we could use floaties..... or noodles......or water wings...

I wish I could get a tetsujin hug......

Funny you should say that - we have an all women's race that caters to beginners and flotation devices are allowed! Wetsuits help tremendously with buoyancy as well!

I would love a Tet hug too!

denise

I am back to running my life – so a run commute into work today. Loved it!!!

Love the Seattle shots! Every time I have been to Rainer – it has been snowy Wink

Erika loves the mosses!!!

NJ – The Garden State

Denise – I too resent where computers have impacted my patient interactions. I think of the times I could sit in a patient’s room and go over what he/she was experiencing, what was right and what wasn’t so right. I think those were times of holistic healing. What I do appreciate, is the speed at which we can understand treatments and this has been apparent with improved drugs being approved at record speed, but that is medicine, not nursing. John is being seen at DFCI - it is upsetting to see and feel their frustration. Perhaps it will be routine ... soon.

Kirsten

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

Groucho Marx

wildchild

Carolyn

I tried to post earlier, but just as I was finishing typing, we had a short power failure, so I lost it.  So I'll try again.

I really should try to schedule a trip to Seattle to visit my DD, so I can also visit Enke and Tet!  Loved the pictures of Mariposai and Tet!

I ran 6.5 miles this afternoon and felt pretty good, just two days after my marathon.  My next race is a 50k  in 2 weeks, and I'm considering signing up for a 50 miler two weeks after that.  Sound like a good plan? 

For those of you who aren't on FB, here's a picture from my race on Sunday.  I'm in the middle, and the folks on either side are friends from my ultra group.  Nice and cool with all that snow!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

evanflein

...My next race is a 50k  in 2 weeks, and I'm considering signing up for a 50 miler two weeks after that.  Sound like a good plan? 

Well, it sounds like a good plan to me, but I've been told I don't know what that means! Smile  Nice picture, but you can sure keep that snow for awhile.

Denise, I'm sure you'll get the hang of it soon and it won't be so time consuming. I know the feeling of wanting to spend more quality face time with your patients. My mom was a public health nurse (and campus health center nurse) for many years, and patients would ask for her because she always took the time to listen and make sure they were able to be a part of their care. Good for you on doing the 70.3. I'm almost in Holly's camp in saying it's the swimming that keeps me from even considering a tri. I don't think I need floaties though.... 

So good to see Troy posting again! Hope you aren't getting the smoke from the fires by Willow. So far so good for us, but it only takes one careless idiot to change everything.

7.1 miles tonight, ran along the Chena River in the middle, wanted to check out the new finish course of the 10k I'm doing on Saturday. Looks like it should be good. The course re-route takes out 4 sharp turns and adds one at the end. But overall, I think it should be good, as long as you aren't in a crowd at the finish (on a narrow bike path vs. a wide paved area). Weather forecast indicates temps could be in the upper 70's at the 10 pm start. Oy.