Masters Running

Thursday (At least here in Michigan) - 10/30 (Read 32 times)

Dave59

It's Halloween Eve. What's Up?

Figures I'd start the daily on a day I probably won't run. I woke up at 5:00 so tired that I went back to sleep and didn't get up until 7.  I have 5.1 miles to do to get to 100 for the month so if I don't run today I will be doing at least that tomorrow.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Morning, Dave.  Everyone must be getting ready for Halloween.  I hope to be doing some of that tonight and tomorrow.  I tell people that it's a religious holiday for us.  DW and I normally go, if not overboard, right up to the gunwales with decorating.  Due to lack of time and having a hard time feeling like it's Halloween already, we may tone it down a little.  But we have a reputation in the neighborhood and would hate to let the kiddies down.

Work is conspiring to make the last two weeks of training difficult--out at almost Jay o'clock yesterday just to get in 5.1 miles before driving almost 350 miles for a meeting for one project and a site visit at another.  then today another 200 mile round trip to watch some gear testing.  oh well after twenty on Sunday, it's taper time and a lot less miles to squeeze in.

Happy running in NYC to anyone indulging.  And any other race, too.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

TammyinGP

it's halloween eve? I thought it was payday eve? 

this is the first year that we haven't put out halloween decorations or that David isn't doing anything for H'ween. He leaves in the morning for Eugene with the boys XC team for the State competition on Saturday. His coach will have them all in bed and sleeping by 9 pm I'm sure.  They are going to arrive in Eugene on Friday morning and Coach will jog the course with them and is bringing them to the U of O's history museum. They also have to bring nice slacks, shirt and ties and Coach is taking them to a nice restaurant for dinner.

got in a short run last night, 2.5 miles.

Tammy

Several here approaching 2000 for the year? Fantastic! I think I came close to 1000 one time, but nowhere close before or since. So Carolyn, are you going to go for a prime number for the year? Primes start getting farther apart when you're >2000.

Rested my knee by going for a swim for the first time since last winter. Thought about doing an hour, but did manage 45 minutes. It felt good to exercise that full range of motion in my shoulders, but I'll be a bit sore tomorrow.

One side benefit was that when I pulled out my pile of swimming stuff from the closet, what should I find but my missing favorite (and irreplaceable) winter running mittens! I had given them up for lost recently and am very glad to have them back. In fact, they may come in handy if the weekend's weather predictions (brrrr....) are right.

Our Halloween visitors have steadily dwindled over the years, from over 100 to as few as a dozen or so. We bought candy just in case again this year, but the weather promises to be in the 30s with rain and/or snow and a 20mph wind! I'll feel sorry for the kids and parents who do try to go out (been there, done that!).

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Dave59

In addition to the cold, wind, rain/snow, tomorrow night is a high school football playoff game in town. We could have a record low turnout here.

Our Halloween visitors have steadily dwindled over the years, from over 100 to as few as a dozen or so. We bought candy just in case again this year, but the weather promises to be in the 30s with rain and/or snow and a 20mph wind! I'll feel sorry for the kids and parents who do try to go out (been there, done that!).

Same weather here, Rock. I feel so sorry for all of the little trick-or-treaters (grandkids included). No one should have to put a winter coat over a Halloween costume! We get tons of kids at our house, and I always make it a point to get to Costco to buy a box of the "really big" candy bars for the neighbor kids. They love us - no tricks at our house

Ran with the girls from the Y at Jay o'clock this morning. Five miles, 32°, no wind, great company. What could be better?

One of our star cross country runners is at the U of O right now Tammy. Think she should be a sophomore or junior? Her name is Allie Woodward. Haven't heard anything about her for a while - hope she's still running well.

I've given up trying to reach prime numbers - or a number of any kind these last few months. Just grateful for the gift.... Good luck to the rest of you though!

evanflein

I've never been into Halloween and we don't get trick-or-treaters at or house (or haven't for years). Our kids were into it though when they were little and we went around neighborhoods in town with friends. Otherwise, It's a lot of walking (or driving with lots of stops) for not many houses around our place. DH likes to buy a bag of Snickers fun size bars, but that's so we can eat them....

That's a lot of driving, Stumpy. Hope you can take stretch breaks every now and then.

It was warmer this morning on our drive in to work than it was for last night's run! I'll knock off that pace bunny tonight and top 2,000 if all goes as planned. No goal of prime numbers, just happy to reach 2k before the end of October!

[Holly, if you run 200 miles each for November and December, you'll reach 2,000!]

wildchild

Carolyn

Several here approaching 2000 for the year? Fantastic! I think I came close to 1000 one time, but nowhere close before or since. So Carolyn, are you going to go for a prime number for the year? Primes start getting farther apart when you're >2000.

It will be hard to get a prime number for December and a prime number for the year, but I'll see if the numbers work out!  I was talking to my DD about it, and she pointed out that if you run a prime number of miles every month,  it's impossible to end the year on a prime, because primes are always odd, and twelve primes will always be even.  (Yeah, she's a geek, like her mom!)    I haven't run a prime number every month, so I might have a shot at ending the year on a prime.

Thanks for the reminder that I should post a handy table of primes for you guys, to plan your running tomorrow!

2 3 5 7 11 13 17 19 23 29 31 37 41 43 47 53 59 61 67
                  71 73 79 83 89 97 101 103 107 109 113 127 131 137 139 149 151 157 163
                  167 173 179 181 191 193 197 199 211 223 227 229 233 239 241 251 257 263 269
                  271 277 281 283 293 307 311 313 317 331 337 347 349 353 359 367 373 379 383

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

In case any of you are bored this afternoon, here's a marathon predictor to play with...............

http://www.slate.com/articles/sports/sports_nut/2014/10/running_calculator_introducing_slate_s_marathon_time_predictor_a_better.html

wildchild

Carolyn

Stumpy,  that's not a very useful marathon calculator!  I've run 13 races this year so far, and only one of them was a distance that's an option in the calculator!  They don't list choices of marathon, 50k, or 50 miles, or non-standard short distance races.   What does it predict for you at Richmond?

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Marathon Maniac #957

One side benefit was that when I pulled out my pile of swimming stuff from the closet, what should I find but my missing favorite (and irreplaceable) winter running mittens! I had given them up for lost recently and am very glad to have them back. 

I have a favorite (and discontinued) pair of convertible running gloves that is a winter running staple and I will have a difficult time replacing them when they eventually fall apart.

Stumpy - do you listen to audio books on long drives?

Erika - I'm hoping to catch that bunny.

Re: cold weather and trick-or-treaters, I have always made sure my kids' Halloween costumes could fit a layer or two of clothes under them, just in case of cold, but this year is supposed to be cold rain, and DD's Dragon Ninja outfit is pretty light, so she will likely be wearing a coat.  This will probably be her last year of trick-or-treating, but the Middle School has a Halloween Dance (today after school) each year, so we will still be challenged to come up with a costume at least one more year.

6 miles for me this morning in 44 degrees.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Aamos,  I 'm sorry to hear about your former coworker.  My thoughts are with her and her family.  It's sobering when one hears of someone so young having such a serious condition.  ribs, somehow eating Japanese food in Mexico doesn't seem right.  deez, neat you got to run with OM.

This morning, it was about 40° and almost calm.  I got in 6 miles at a 10:47 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

AamosY losing someone so young to brain cancer, so sad.  My sympathies go out to them.

roachrunner and Holly S. I have a pair like that and boy will I be sorry when they fall apart!  That or not so sorry if I move someplace warm!

Sigh, I wish we had more trick-or-treaters come to our place.  But alas no.  I love Halloween.  It is still my favorite day among the list of real and quasi holidays.  I have my house decked out in early October and when Mariposai comes out for the Reach the Beach Relay I get around my DW's prohibition on putting the Halloween village up before October 1 so it is up from mid-September. The weather forecast for CT tomorrow is pretty good so we may get a few trick-or-treaters.

As to me, I am happy to be back.  I tell you though, getting me to Beijing for an extended trip would take some doing. The air is worse than you can imagine, no matter how good your imagination may be.  The day I arrived the air was an off grey with maybe some orange it in.  As if that was not bad enough, I was told by a colleague of mine that the day I arrived the pollution index was a fifth yes a fifth from the day before!  You may as well ask if you would go somewhere if you had to chain smoke every minute you were there.

My plan to stay on EDT on my China trip worked.  I got back, got up and no jet lag to speak of!  Today I went off for an easy 10 mile run.  Funny, only in this crowd could any run of 10 ever be called "easy" without people thinking "what a nut!"  You might still think what a nut but not because of today's run at least!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Stumpy,  that's not a very useful marathon calculator!  I've run 13 races this year so far, and only one of them was a distance that's an option in the calculator!  They don't list choices of marathon, 50k, or 50 miles, or non-standard short distance races.   What does it predict for you at Richmond?

Of course not--it's meant for ordinary mortal runners.    Based on my last 5k and half, it showed 4:47, which is right around where I'm hoping to be.

Holly--nope, just radio and occasional CD.  Since I go almost 50 miles each way to my office, these jaunts don't feel too bad.

evanflein

50 mile commute each way? Egads... I just can't imagine. When I lived in California for awhile I had a 32 mile commute and I thought that was terrible. I like my 9 mile commute, that's long enough!

I didn't run today, either. Really should have, but got too damn busy at work to get away. Actually, I guess there was a time I could have picked up and gone, but I get into that "just one more thing" mode and the time passed. Oh well. I'll run tomorrow and still get my goal of 2,000 miles done by October 31.

Going out to our favorite movie place tonight for burgers and the movie "Lucy." I hadn't really thought about going to that one, but when the opportunity presents itself, what the heck. I'm really waiting for "Gone Girl" to come out for second line theaters, but I think I'll have to wait a bit.