Masters Running

Beware; Friday the 13th! (Read 489 times)

coastwalker

OM, please change the tag under your great new avatar: I can never look at that wonderful photo and see anything close to mediocrity.

I went out for a tempo workout at 4:15 (28F). The roads were just a little damp, just a little slick. Then it rained lightly for about 5-10 minutes and turned the roads into a sheet of skim ice. You can't racewalk if there's no traction, so I backed way off and slid through most of the rest of the 4 miles. Bummer.

Today is DW's birthday, so we're going north for some (hopefully) snowshoeing and cross-country skiing. She also gets a massage, dinner at a favorite restaurant, and a master bedroom make-over out of the deal. She's a sweetie, and it's fun to do stuff like this with and for her.

Enjoy the day!  -  Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Happy birthday to Mrs.Jay .... awesome gifts!!     Have fun in the snow.

Great pictures Wildchild!  

Larry - I have not signed up yet, as I am really not in shape for it either, but I am ready to commit.   There was a segment on the news the other night as this is a big anniversary for the event.   When DH asked me if I was going to run it, I said yes and he was encouraging.   SO .....

We got about 6" of beautiful heavy snow.   It is the kind that clings to everything and is just postcard pretty.   I tried to take some pictures this morning, but it was just too dark out still.    I did get one of B'Nellie out there though with the ball in her mouth.   The dogs just love the snow.

No run for me, although I wish I had after driving down our road and seeing how pretty it was.   **sigh**

Happy Friday the 13th

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
      It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

Happy Birthday Mrs JayWalker!  Sounds like a great day!

Hiya Hopeful Mary!  Great photo of B'Nellie girl!  I love snow. But all we have today is WIND!

Wildchick's pictures are remarkable! Such exotic beauty !

0533. 45F at the start and 41F at the finish. WINDY. Gusts up to 42 mph.  Can't wait to read how windy it was at the beach...JDmom detests the wind and it's always windier there.

6 miles with Roger. He tried to pick a route protected from the wind and for the most part, he did very well. Lucky for me. 
        The Rocket Scientist is so busy at work this week that he did not run or swim today. But Lil Miss RS did swim. That is a nice thing to do during the marathon recovery.

I started work on a new project. The product is in clinical trials right now and I am just thrilled to be back in the medical field. Even if it is just data integrity and minimum wage!  My brain is happy. 

Happy Birthday, Mrs. Coastwalker!

And hi to Mary and Rose. Mary, we hardly have a dusting here so far, but heard about the west side getting blitzed. Happy shoveling!

No running today for me, as I'm about 90% recovered from my fall and want to take another day off instead of yielding to the temptation to go out and push it. But I wanted to share some lines from a song by one of my favorite singer-songwriters, Gretchen Peters. Looking back, this really touched me and is so accurate, describing that summer in Cincinnati between high school and college, which for me was a year earlier in 1964 (but 1965 rhymes better!):

If Heaven were a town, it would be my town,

On a summer day in 1965.

Everything I wanted was out there waiting,

And everyone I loved was still alive.

It really made me miss all of the family that have passed on since then - parents, grandparents, aunts and uncles, friends' parents, cousin - leaving me the oldest except for my mother's brother. I wish I could talk with them now about all the things I never thought of when they were here.

Well, enough of remembrance and regret. Have yourselves some nice runs today if you're not spending the day digging out!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Slo

Happy Birthday to Coastwalkers DW...Have fun snowshoeing and skiing.

No run for me yet. Hopefully after work tonight. It was just to dang easy to stay under the covers. We ended up with about 5" of snow.

I've got a three day weekend. A winter Bike race on Sunday, I'll be licking my wounds on Monday.

Happy Day All !

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Under the category of any mile is a good mile, a whopping 1.25 of them this morning.  High 40's down here in Southern Jersey, but wind and a deluge as a front came through about 5:45 this morning.  Fitness is going away with long days on the project site not conducive to getting up even earlier.  Next couple of weeks the same, but have to keep in mind that having all the time I wanted to run would NOT be a good thing, either.

Good runs and successful job hunting to all that follow.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

C-R

Good morning. Today is a continuation of the two day workouts (run and non-run) so I mile warm-up and 20 minutes of kettlebells and core.

It's 16 degrees here and 20 mph gusts so my afternoon/evening run will be interesting. Can I count more miles than degrees factoring in wind chill?

Happy birthday to Mrs. Jay. And many more.

I get that roch. As we get older the loss of loved one's increases. I think of all the good memories and it makes me smile at the ways those folks made my life better and more interesting. 

Nice pic Mary.

Good luck slo and have fun.

Have a great day all.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

...26-degrees here

about 2-inches of snow and Ice mix..........but it still beats last year

..............rest day

.........................good running guys

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

aka FlyingFinn

Happy birthday to Mrs. Jay.

OM, I hope you have a special frame for that picture. It's pure joy!

Those are touching lyrics, roch. I miss my family very much, too, especially my mom and dad.

We got a couple inches of snow so far and might get a little more through the day. It's blustery and cold as winter should be.

I ran 5 hilly miles, 18F. Weather advisory says winds 15-25 with gusts 40-50. Poor birds. There were a few hanging around the edge of the pond this morning.  I made sure to fill the feeder before I came inside.

Today is the start of a 4 day weekend for us. We went out for lunch and dinner yesterday so I'll be happy being a home body this weekend and doing lots of cooking. This weather puts me in the mood to make soups and bread.

Cheers, all; I hope everyone has a happy brain today. Smile

Instructions for living a life:

Pay attention. Be astonished. Tell about it.   ~~~Mary Oliver

lamerunner

Good afternoon.  We finally got some snow around here! Just 3-4 inches here but 9 or 10 inches up north in the mountains, where it is badly needed.  Yesterday I got in a nice mellow 6 miler in the snow; this morning was another story.  Icy Icy when I went out. In areas with some snow still on the road, it was ok but the pavement which had melted and refrozen was deadly. I aborted it after 4 miles, just not worth the risk.  I did get on the TM at lunch though and ran another 5 miles with 4 x 1000 built in, at 7:30 pace.  Not bad. Kind of easing into marathon training. I should do a slightly longer run some time this weekend, 12-14 anyway, but I also want to play in the new snow.

DD is recovering from the wisdom teeth ordeal but she had a rough time the first night. Very sick to her stomach, I suspect from the anesthetic and all the nitrous oxide. She is very afraid of needles and they went a bit heavy on the laughing gas.  She was high as a kite when I picked her up; it was weird.   She was able to eat a little yesterday and made a smoothie last night.

Erika, hope you survive the cold and your ankle improves fast.

Hope all is well with Leslie and Shorty.

Henrun

Happy birthday Mrs.Jay . Sounds like you have a very special time planned! Short run in cold?? FL temps of 60! Then spent several enjoyable hous at the circus museum Marj aka Henrun

Jay, your wife sure sounds lucky.  Have fun together.

It might actually snow this weekend.  We have the sled out and waiting.....

The running Gods did smile down upon me today.  Smile   6.22 miles of hillz.

No major aches.

New shoes.

Sunshine.

Frost.

A honk from a trucker.

Life is Good.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

PBJ

Marathon Iowa 2014

Hi - non-running PBJ here.

I've been sitting in the Toronto airport for 3.5 hours, and should be boarding in another 2 - all because of a 45 minute delay to de-ice in Ottowa.  At least Air Canada gave me a voucher for $10 of restaurant food.  Yippee.

US customs made me take off the air cast - must have thought I was smuggling something inside it - they even x-rayed it.  That's ironic.

So I've been MIA because I've been working on budgets in Canada for about 15 hours a day this week. No workout facility in the hotel, so my body has been absolutely inactive all week.  Call it a forced break.

And how was your week?

Mariposai

Erika, I am so glad to hear that your ankle is doing better! How is the new position treating you?

Coastwalker, Enjoy your weekend of pampering Mrs Jay.

Hopeful4ever, that picture is adorable!

RCG, have fun in your new job. It sounds very interesting.

stumpy77, every mile counts. And you are right, having too much work is a nice problem to have!

Like the Jays, we too are planning to play in the snow all weekend, but we are not traveling anywhere but having company. Let the weekend of XT skiing, snowshoeing, and cooking begin! Our friends are arriving this afternoon, I can't wait to see them. Dinner tonight will have a Caribbean theme.  I am also looking forward to a weekend of cooking!! Oh btw, as a self preservation, I printed a Me+20 pounds picture (in my bathing suit)  that was taken in the Island of Hydra, Greece, and placed it on my bathroom mirror. That should help me not to overeat Blush

Up early today for a "mind-over-matter 10 miler with 8 times looong blocks at a much faster pace. 

Thinking of fatossig and Shorty.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

{{{PBJ}}}

airports suck

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."