Masters Running

Friday 22 March 2024 All By Myself (Read 33 times)

Holly - my car is a 2018 as well and I needed the battery replaced last summer!! Glad your dh could do it so quickly.

Today is a non-running day so I did a bunch of Peloton classes - 20 minutes Pilates, 30 min rock ride, 10 min extra 10 low impact ride

5 min stretch, 10 min strength for runners, 10 min glutes and legs strength, 10 min core strength.

Since then I have been cutting and chopping for a cheese board and a fruit/dessert board for Maria's birthday celebration. Unfortunately, it already sounds like the littles have to cancel - Emily has had a fever since last evening and today was up to 103. Been a tough winter for a lot of the kids from what I hear. Maybe the lack of a big snow storm or more people being in groups together have spread all kinds of germs to the kids. Many of my nurse colleagues with little children have been complaining about frequent illnesses this year too.

Oh well - spring will be here soon hopefully -- well of course after we get some of that white stuff this weekend!! 

ps I love song lyrics - I told dh I expect to hear When I'm 64 all day long on 3/30!!!! 

denise

Our roof this past September took a full day with a large crew- and it was scary to even watch them on the steep pitch.  There was part of another day for clean up.  Ahead of time, the solar panel company had to remove the panels and then come back and re-install them.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Does anyone have a metal roof? I've seen quite a few of them here and they seem to wear well. We did our roof a few years ago so we still have some time but we are contemplating the metal roof next time around. Apparently you don't ever need to replace them. However they  are expensive.

Got out for a 5.5 miler today and it's still cold out there! The FOGGs want to run at Bird's Hill Sunday and every lap is 7 miles so depending on the weather I may come up with an alternate plan. The most I would want to run is 2 laps, lol.

Marathon Maniac #957

Since DH lost all that weight last year, he has gotten excited about working out, for the first time in the almost 30 years I have known him.  He has been working out every day at home with various exercises and the dumbbells.  We have sets of 5 lbs, 8 lbs, 10 lbs, and 15 lbs.  He started out fairly gently because he has shoulder issues and I kept reminding him to start slow, ease into working out, don't hurt yourself, and eventually increase the weights.  He writes it all down and has a plan he has put together, and pretty much does about 15-20 minutes every evening right after work.  I am beginning to see some definition in his shoulders and arms, and it looks great.  I just bought a set of 20 lb dumbbells because he was ready to increase the weight on some of the exercises.  Anyway, I am very proud of him.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

That's terrific!  Will he do any endurance stuff- walking or biking?  Great progress!

Since DH lost all that weight last year, he has gotten excited about working out, for the first time in the almost 30 years I have known him.  He has been working out every day at home with various exercises and the dumbbells.  We have sets of 5 lbs, 8 lbs, 10 lbs, and 15 lbs.  He started out fairly gently because he has shoulder issues and I kept reminding him to start slow, ease into working out, don't hurt yourself, and eventually increase the weights.  He writes it all down and has a plan he has put together, and pretty much does about 15-20 minutes every evening right after work.  I am beginning to see some definition in his shoulders and arms, and it looks great.  I just bought a set of 20 lb dumbbells because he was ready to increase the weight on some of the exercises.  Anyway, I am very proud of him.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Marathon Maniac #957

No he is not doing walking or biking or anything like that yet, right now he's just trying to rebuild the muscle he has lost. He realized that at 61 he is become a stick figure in many ways and is trying to regain his muscle mass. So far, so good!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

moebo

Sub7, we have a metal roof on our NH house. We did a major renovation when we bought the place 10 years ago, and decided it was worth the extra cost to not have to worry about getting up there to clear the snow off the roof after big storms. It's been great! And apparently it should last for 50 years or more. The only downside is the occasional thunderous roar when the snow slides off and hits the ground with a thud. Scares me every time...

I also had to look up "prandial." Hoping the rrs has a successful hip replacement, RCG.

Busy week for me again--I am so happy to have finally made it to Friday. My SO has gone up to NH  by himself for a few days, so I've been taking advantage of my time alone to go out to dinner with friends and watch movies I know he would not enjoy. It's kind of fun to be single once in a while!

5.2 miles running early, the another 2.6 walking after work.

BTY

No run for me today, swimming instead - 40 times across the pool (1,000 yards) with a few seconds of rest at each end.

1,000 yards for me too Holly!  Nice workout!

Does anyone have a metal roof? I've seen quite a few of them here and they seem to wear well. We did our roof a few years ago so we still have some time but we are contemplating the metal roof next time around. Apparently you don't ever need to replace them. However they  are expensive.

Metal roofs are greta in milder climates. However, if you live in a place where there are 100+ degree changes in temps through the year, the expansion/contraction of the metal over the years can expand the holes the screws go through, causing leaks or even the panel blowing off in high wind. This was a lesson learned in Central Oregon when metal roofs became popular, and 5-6 years after installation the problems showed up on some homes. Too late, because everyone saw how nice they looked and performed, and they are cheaper, so many people had them installed before the issues were known. Getting down to -30 in the Winter and up to 110 in the Summer takes a toll on everything, though.

Not a deal breaker, you just have to inspect them every couple years and maybe tighten or put in new screws.

The higher cost per square foot of material over composite shingles is more than made up for in far less labor required. And they are fireproof, and the lighter weight is easier on your roof framing. Metal roofing is my first choice.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

moebo

Surly, our metal roof doesn’t have any exposed screws, so we don’t have to worry about leaks. I think it’s called a standing seam metal roof? It’s made of long panels that are attached at the peak. A cap covers the attachments.

SteveP

RCG - I hope your winnings don’t put you into a new tax bracket. 

Tetsujin209 - I would rather not meet the Lady In The Dunes.  

DW, the dog and I got nearly three miles in. We went to Church in Empire. We both went to Reconciliation/Confession.  The Priest asked how I was doing. I told him, not well. I was mixing concrete and got duck eggs in it. Now I have quacks in my sidewalk.  DW and I went to dinner. On the way back to the campground, the truck was making a noise like a baseball card in bike spokes. It looks like the CV Axle. Meh. Our SIL is coming to get the camper Saturday. Then I’ll limp the truck to the mechanic.  I may be able to get this done myself, but I’ve been making progress on my hip and I don’t need to screw this up.

MTA: All and all it was a good day.

SteveP