Masters Running

People in general admire runners, and want to run themselves...and can (Read 344 times)

Marathon Maniac #3309

I have been posting many of my runs / races on Face Book for a while now, and a astounding thing has happened....truley remarkable to me at least. At first I would get maybe a few "likes" on my wall after I a posted a run. Then I would get an occasional "you're an inspiration Tim" Then would start to hear "I wish I could be more like you and run"  Then some would start asking me general questions about running, and where does my motivation come from and such. Some would ask "Tim, how do I start to run when I'm so over weight, and out of shape.......etc"

Little by little I started responding to these inquiries, and I was amazed at what happened. For whatever reasons all of these people have been women Roll eyes (hehe) and all but 1 are overweight. I started sending them PM's telling them they can indeed run - it's not as hard as what they may have heard, or been told (by idiots) - running is fun - reasonably inexpensive - can incorporate brisk walking till a person can run continuously for a set distance - speed is NO concern what so ever - tell them how good they will feel about themselves, building self esteem and confidence - doesn't take that much time considering how people waste time doing other things, RE: watching TV, internet and such. 

One by one these gals would go out and start running, and were ecstatic and excited to tell me all about it ! Many only started out with a 1/2 mile run at first and then walk, which I told them was great. Keep in mind, that NONE of these Gals have a running background what so ever, and most are Boomers / Masters like us. In short, a lot of these ladies have increased their personal mileage and have stuck with it....with some impressive results of speed - weight loss - and a boost in self esteem and confidence with themselves as well:-)

The reason I am saying this is because............this has exploded into like a running frenzy with these Gals, and they keep going out out recruiting more and more of their friends (ok, more women)  Guys my / our age....um, they tend to have given up on their physical fitness in life so it seems -  where as women are looking to feel, and look better again and "chase down" that fountain of youth.....they have found running to be a perfect way to achieve this!!! I love it when one or more will say -  in a crowd or around others - that "I am a runner"

Something funny happened when some of these gals and myself went on a running shoe expedition about 6 weeks ago.....that was like trying to herd up a dozen wild rabbits, alone - HA. There I was talkin' about picking the right running shoes based on many physiological factors like gait - pronation or arch issues, and so on. OH, and the gals were all over the store.....ain't these just the cutest color - look at these bright stripes - well, didn't know shoe strings could be so colorful - will these match my running out fit - my jeans - how's my butt look (ok, I made that one up - LOL)  After a while I said LADIES......................gather yourselves, this is about running - not fashion.

Well, we then left the running shoe store for margarita's with some of the cutest, most adorable running shoes imaginable   Roll eyesBig grin

Silly Wabbit's :-)

Most of these gals run in the evening like myself, and at around 6:00 to 11:00 pm my cell phone will almost explode with texts from these gals after they run, or I will get Emails and PM's from FB...............that's fun. This is not about my FB friends anymore, but friends of friends of FB - neighbors - family members - co workers....but still all wimmin's (just is, I can't seem to help that)  Smile

To my original point, that people do indeed admire runners, and they want to be one....but maybe thought they couldn't !!!

To date -

- Over 30 runners currently and actively involved - and growing

- Some meet on their own on Tues - Thurs - and Sat's or Sun's

- 3 have raced for the FIRST time ever.....2 ran 1/2 Marathons (one had a 1:42 - she's FAST) and one raced a 5K last Sunday and loved it. Some

want to race, but most just love running....which is great (I would still run if there were NEVER a race)

- They continually keep telling others, and are so proud of themselves. Until they got involved, they had no idea about the joys of running.....but

watched others with envy wondering what is was like.

The only problem I have encountered is this.....the one's that want me to continually motivate them, and I can't do that. I can tell them about running - give them suggestions - help them anyway I can, but......motivation must come from within I tell them. I have a neighbor that wants me to call her - knock on her door - basically force her to get out and run (I think she just likes me - LOL) Sure, I could do that a time or two, but ultimately a person must do it on their own, and not be pushed by others, or do it to impress others.

This is fun....and watching their excitement for "simply running" has been a joy and blessing to me.....and all Wimmin is just icing on the cake Smile

I had a couple of gals friends who volunteered at my Duathlon a few weeks ago, and now they want to do a du - or try a tri :-)

Sitting here waiting to get my A/C fixed on my car, and this came to mind to share with you all

TimBo

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

SmileCoolSmile  Keep spreading the love Tim.

It is pretty cool.  I went through a born again "preachy" phase for awhile and didn't get anyone except my sister to start an exercise program - which she is still doing 4 years later.

With women, running does open up a whole new subdivision of cute clothes to pine after. Smile

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

After a while I said LADIES......................gather yourselves, this is about running - not fashion.

The only problem I have encountered is this.....the one's that want me to continually motivate them, and I can't do that. I can tell them about running - give them suggestions - help them anyway I can, but......motivation must come from within I tell them. I have a neighbor that wants me to call her - knock on her door - basically force her to get out and run (I think she just likes me - LOL) Sure, I could do that a time or two, but ultimately a person must do it on their own, and not be pushed by others, or do it to impress others.

Ribs might argue that fashion statement!  Wink

I think this is so great Tim and I'm sure you are great inspiration to them all.    I agree that the motivation must come from within, but I know what helps me is having a race on the calendar.   Also, belonging to this community - just reading about other's acccomplishments is so motivating!   I know cool runnings and now running Ahead has kept me on the road ....

Good job -you should be very proud of your harem!  Big grin

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
        It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Dave59

Keep spreading the love Tim.

I don't know.  Seems like races are getting too crowded now a days. Roll eyes  My little 5k tomorrow used to be a few hundred and this year they expect 3000 (combined 5k & 10k).  Parking will be a issue, etc.  Hopefully it's just a phase the public is going through. Wink Big grin

OrangeMat

MM #6177

Tim, in the yoga philosophy I've studied, it's said that greater change and growth of an individual is reinforced by three things:

1. the teacher

2. the teachings

3. the community

Personally, I don't see much of a difference between the yogic lifestyle and the running lifestyle... which is probably why I'm so committed to both!

Good for you for being the "teacher" for these women, as well as helping them learn and incorporate the "teachings" of living the running life. But the important point here is that the third aspect, the community, is really the key to it all. That's why, even though it is a solitary sport when all is said and done, we do enjoy running with others. We run in races. We belong to running clubs. If nothing else, we greet other runners with a smile and a wave in passing. Maybe these women can run with each other, form their own running club. It's the symbiosis of both giving and receiving support that really makes it all mesh, ya know? Yeah, of course you know, that's why you've been doing this. Smile

Great to hear about this. And regardless of how it all ultimately turns out, enjoy your harem! Smile

OrangeMat

MM #6177

I don't know.  Seems like races are getting too crowed now a days. Roll eyes  My little 5k tomorrow used to be a few hundred and this year they expect 3000 (combined 5k & 10k).  Parking will be a issue, etc.  Hopefully it's just a phase the public is going through. Wink Big grin

Can't you just run to the race from home? sheesh.... Wink Big grin

#artbydmcbride

I love picturing Tim out surrounded by his posse of giggling runner wimmens.  Big grin

Runners run

Bravo, biketm!  You are doing a great thing.  Congratulations!