Masters Running

Sunday daily (Read 37 times)

Mike E

MM #5615

Hey!  I just noticed wild and Erika posted while I was posting.

Congratulations, wild!

Erika--I am not looking forward to the cold--I don't know how you stand it.  Nice run, though.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Glad for the rare but well-deserved running weather in November in erika-land.

I finished off a last "long" run before Richmond with 9.2 miles at a 9:45 pace.  I WILL be finishing quite a while after Tramps, but if I can hit that pace for a good segment, I will be very happy.  I'm trying to decide if I want to join a pace group, and if so, which one.  Should I pick the one that will be a bit slower than I hope to keep me from going out too fast, or one that matches what I hope I can do and risk burning out?  Amazing how only 15 minutes can create such a quandary.

Stumps - if you take the slower pace group and do fine, you’ll be wondering if you could have kept up with the faster group. If you run with the faster group, at least, you’ll know whether you could have kept up to them or not. Besides, what’s the fun about doing something you know you can do?
      I have good experiences with running faster marathons with pace groups than I could have run without them.  Hope you will too. Maybe Tramps can come back and make sure.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

evanflein

I've never run a race with a pacer that was worth a damn. And this year, at the Revel Rockies Marathon, it was really terrible. The 3:25 pacer took off saying she wanted to take advantage of the downhills early. The 3:30 pacer (yes, they had those close numbers) passed me in the last couple of miles with no followers. When I asked him where his group was, he just shrugged and said some went on ahead, and some fell back. The pacers at other races have been just as bad, IMO. I remember Seattle where the guy said he wanted to keep a steady pace vs. effort, so all the uphills were full charge ahead and the downhills were hold back. Certainly didn't work for me. Anyway, be careful of the pacers, and ask them ahead of time what their strategy is. I remember Opie paced a 4:30 (? maybe 4:15?) pace group, and came in seconds under their goal time. Perfect!

Glad to see Wildchild post. Looking forward to hearing the race report. Sounds like some trail running elite were there!

SteveP

Yay TwoCat!

Yay walking and stair cross training, Tet

You are a powerhouse, Wildchild.

DW, Tag and I were getting ready for a turkey trot nearly 40 miles away. Noah called and asked if he could go too! Heck yes! We had two or three inches of the wet sloppy snow when the rain snow mix was coming down very steady. At the event site, the wind was also whipping, however, the ground as warm enough that the snow didn't stick. I respect the young fella's wardrobe choices.

Noah opted to opace Grammy for the 1 mile, while Tag and I chose the 5K. The RD remembered Noah's name from the year before and chatted him up. The runners gathered under a good sized canopy. As soon as the RD yelled "2 minutes", Tag yelled, "Go Now!". I took him back across the football field so others could hear the instructions.

Grammy was the shutterbug on duty.

The mutt and I caught up to DW and Noah at the end of their mile and we all ran together to the finish shoot. Noah wanted to run with me on the 5K loop, but he also wanted to run on the schools track. With the look on his face, we could tell that he was really torn. Thankfully, he finally choose to finish his event and immediately got hardware for being the youngest finisher.

The same person that tried to interview Noah last year, decided to talk with him again. This time, it wasn't during the award ceremony (Last year, Noah kept telling the reporter he was trying to listen). During the raffle, the prizes include turkeys.

SteveP

Mariposai

Wrong daily

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard