Masters Running

Saturday's Daily, 6.29.13 (Read 43 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

PBJ - why does the race start at 3:20? I can't figure that out. If that's 3:20am, I definitely can't figure it out!

Dave, I'm glad you were able to satisfy the A-B AEs with your latest install. Well done.

Must be fun to run with a new RP each day, Ribs.

Henrun, I hope the acupuncture treatments continue to help you feel better.

Sorry about the smoothlessness (what?) in NJ, Stumpy.

Holly, I hope your mouth felt OK after the Novocaine wore off, and that this morning's 5K goes well. Local races are enticing, aren't they?

C-R, I'm glad that the family golf tradition appears to be carrying on. And $70 for a 5K is ridiculous, obstacle course or not. It'll be interesting to see how many people are there on race day.

Mariposai, cooking for 40 is a challenge! Glad you had some cat help. That photo is gorgeous - I would have gone for a workout too. But it is a bummer that the bikers were so inconsiderate.

9.4 racewalking miles this morning in some pretty dense coastal fog. Visibility was about a 1/2 mile. The temp was 67, and there was a breeze blowing in off the water. I went south, along North Beach in Hampton, where the paved boardwalk is up and separated from the beach by a concrete seawall. At high tide, there are spots along the way where waves often splash up and over the wall. It was just past high tide this morning, and I managed to get wet only once, although there were plenty of near-misses. My pacing was less than impressive this morning, but I got the job done. After breakfast, we are off to the farmer's market, and then I get to prime the walls in our guest house, and maybe do some finish painting as well.

Have a greta Saturday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

....320 AM is so YOU would have to set an alarm jay///////

===========

..32min poolrun with drag

..................good running guys

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

King of PhotoShop

I've posted here before many times that the fiveK is harder than the marathon, and an all-out fiveK in the heat is particularly hard to do. Congratulations to Holly on her fine time this morning and her big win.

As for me, a slow 5 miles in the park gave me 35 for the week and I felt like that was plenty!

My RP is in FL for the summer and won her age group in a fivek on the beach, so she was quite excited about that.  Eager to hear how Ilene does.  Spareribs

C-R

Go Illene Go.

I don't mind running in most conditions but fog bothers me. Especially on roads. Take care out there Jay.

Ummm .... pool running in drag? Is this some sort of Ru Paul thing Tom?

35 is a solid week for all the travel ribs. We're not 25 anymore.

I got 10 in this morning and now have lots of chores. Finishing touches on the bathroom, hang a couple of doors, clean the garage. Glad I got my run early.

Cheers everyone and 320 in the AM to start a race sound like Disney. Ick.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
          "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Dave59

I cleaned my car and half the gutters (before I got tired.)  We own the heaviest ladder ever made and I seem to get tired quicker than I used to.  Old age?

No run today.  Should have done that first before an hour of going up and down a ladder.

My daughter in Florida became officially engaged yesterday.  Her fiance also got Annabelle a heart shaped necklace.  No specific date picked yet.

Sure seems weird around here without the kid.  She did spend every other weekend up north with her other grandparents, but that only gave me time to clean up her stuff, go shopping for her food and grab a breather before she got back Sunday afternoon.

Happy Saturday my friends - and the weird weather continues!!  Sunny, no cloudy, no raining, wait it's sunny again -- I just can't keep up with this minute to minute weather changes but I LOVE IT!!

Holly - sounds like you did awesome by Ribs -- looking forward to hearing about it!!

Dave - your daughter's fiance sounds like a wonderful guy!!

Jay - love the pictures you've been posting ....would love to run those routes with you!!

Marj - I am planning on running early before work either Monday or Tuesday -- will send you a message to see if you want to meet up!!

C-R - nice 10!!

PR for me today in the Plaistow Old Home Day 5k despite the humidity!! Big grin  25:25 - Ran an 8:17, 8:19, 7:48 and 7:49 for the last .13 -- dont think I've ever  accomplished a 7:48 last mile before!!  So happy!!  To top it off I worked a busy 16 hour shift yesterday and had just under 6 hours sleep - I'm attributing it to the Isagenix products that have helped me drop some weight and feel healthier - oh and I've kicked my coffee addiction!!

Have a wonderful pre-July 4 weekend all!!

denise

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

I did my last hard workout before the marathon, next month.  I ran 3 miles to the track, then did 10 x 800  under 3 minutes each, then ran 3.9 miles home.  Now, I just have to eat right, get plenty of sleep, and not crash in an airplane over the next two weeks.

My son, Mikey, his wife, and their two twin baby daughters are down from Alaska for a couple weeks.  We all got together last night and will get together again, tomorrow.  It's nice to have them home.  Of course, the last time Mikey came home, we didn't talk for about 6 months after he left...I have to stay clear of certain subjects around him...which includes all things political.

Okay--gotta go--DW and I are going out to dinner....we're still celebrating are 25th anniversary....it's been a whole dang week.

janie b good

drive-by posting for me today--  4.22 miles; 67*

goodness is its own reward; for more tangible outcomes, you need to try badness.

Holly, what a bummer on the teeth.  I hope all is well after the trip to the dentist.  Dave, that's good news that your daughter is officially engaged.  ribs has me interested in just how well Holly did in her 5K.  deez, great 5K with PR.

Nice long run for C-R and good job on the speedwork for Mike.

Stuff has gotten in the way of my recreation.  I didn't walk or run yesterday and didn't run today until the afternoon when I got in 3 miles at a 10:44 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

Marathon Maniac #957

Howdy folks.  Busy day, so I'm getting her late.

I didn't have high hopes for this morning's 5K, given that I have done almost no speedwork this year, and the fact we were out late at a concert last night, drinking a bit.  And I forgot how much 5Ks hurt - serious acutely painful for most of the race.  Still, I did better than I expected, 24:39.  This was a small race, 49 finishers, I think, so I ended up as 3rd overall female and 1st AG (40-49).  Only a ribbon for the award, but a free raffle ticket got me $20 in 4 $5 gift cards to local restaurants - very nice!

ETA to add splits: 8:13, 8:19, 8:00 - gives me a good baseline to start with.

DD is doing an all star softball tournament this weekend, won her first game and lost the second.  Tough for a rec team to take on the select teams, but they are doing pretty good, considering.  It's the pitching that makes all the difference, and these other teams pitch much faster than our girls are used to.  Still fun to watch.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mariposai

Holly, wow...acutely pain? You are one tough runner, which we already knew! I don't think I can say that I was ever having acute pain when racing. Yeah...I am a slacker!

MikeE, good job with the last hard workout! You are ripe for the Light marathon.

Ilenforward!!! we are all rooting for you!!!!

Jay, I saw a racer walker during my run in Seattle and I thought of you. BTW, did you build your guess house? Just curious since it seems like you are a Jack of all trade.

Oh wiseone! I always admire you on how you fit in your run during your travels. It seems like when I travel my run suffers all the time.

Deez4boys! congrats on your PR  despite the humidity! You are sure running strong sistahh!!!

I co-hosted a girl friend's bridal shower today. We had a lovely lunch with a lot of girl-time laughter, but since I was responsible for cooking part of the menu and bringing the cakes for the brunch I had no time to go for a run this morning. When I got back home it was 92F, Surprised which it is too hot for a run for me. but the wind  we got at around 4pm  dropped the temps at 86  and allowed me to "test"Wink my ability to run in the heat. Four easy miles that felt like 10, but I must admit, with a lot of water with me it was not a bad run at all.

Now it is time to sit under my grape arbor, read a book and enjoy a nice cool lemonade.

I just love summer!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

evanflein

Nice, Nancy, to do all that and still get a run in with it that hot.

just read Stumpy's race report. Very we'll done! (The race and the report)

Holly, yes, 5k's are hard! I think a lot of newbies think they're easy because of the short distance, but anyone remotely racing them thinks they're really hard! Nice job on yours, even after the night out.

We woke up to really smoky skies and "unhealthy" air quality ratings. So I puttered around the house and DH and I did stuff in the garden for awhile, and my folks came by to visit. Then we went on a big shopping trip to restock the fridge. DS1 had his wisdom teeth out on Friday and he's starting to get ready to resume eating a lot so we needed to restock!

Copper River salmon for $5.99 a pound... Yes I got one and had them filet it and give me the trimming scraps (for stock). We grilled one filet on a cedar plank and put the other one in the freezer for later.

7.1 easy miles after the smoke cleared a little bit.

Bushrat Runner

I went 300 miles today...but not on my feet. On my way to Saratoga Springs, NY for a running vacation. Oh, and to attend the Shortwing Piper Club annual convention. But definitely to get some running in.

Marathon Maniac #957

I don't think I can say that I was ever having acute pain when racing. Yeah...I am a slacker!

Not a bit of it!  I am just a big wussy.....Big grin

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."