Masters Running

Sunday 11/13, let's hear about the races (Read 596 times)

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

50k PR 4:56:27 Peachtree City.Ran another lap with a friend I convinced to do her 1st ultra! PR in weekly mileage 67.9

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

King of PhotoShop

Jay has always been a hero of mine on this site.  What an awesome accomplishment.

Nice run SLO!

Tramps, oddly enough, I like that 15 mile week idea.

Yesterday I was concerned about my knee and took the day off.  Today I ran the most effortless 16 miles of my life. I felt like I could have run 22, but i quit at 16 so as not to ruin my good luck. I think that was the right thing to do.

Riblet found this video on Reddit which I hadn't seen before.  Asics challenges people to run just 60 feet against Ryan Hall at his marathon pace.  You have to see this!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDs4j8ZHzVg

Spareribs

Weird Visual of steveP getting ColdNosed under his truck...... 

Cool

...... then Dad crawled under the truck with tools so he could say lots of bad words and Mom wouldn't hear them. I crawled under too, but decided it was a good idea that I don't help this time..

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

aka FlyingFinn

Hills are dear to my heart so I liked hearing about Slo and Steve and Roach running on them.

The ultra ladies just blow me away. They are something else.

Posie you are a lucky gal.

Holly, I’m jealous you can plant tulips. I can’t grow them because deer love them.

Today I ran my favorite hilly route. It was a great run. Two fun things happened. A farmer was out by his grain bins when I went by so I stopped to chat. A big noisy fan was drying the corn and the aroma was wonderful, like bread baking. I could feel the warmth. He explained what was going on inside the bins. I like talking with farmers. And. At the next farm the Guinea Hens were out. I also like Guinea Hens. Their carriage is more upright and dignified than plain old chickens. One of them was in the woods pacing. Why she crossed the road and a deep ditch I do not know. I made it my mission to save her. So I clucked and tried to get her to follow me to a less steep spot, and she followed for a ways, then jumped right down into the deep ditch and scrambled up the bank to the road, probably wondering why in the world I was clucking at her. Then when I got home I got to mow a field and smell that sweet grass smell. It was all so good. 13.3 miles, at a pace too embarrassing to mention, but I’m happy to say the hills were enumerous.

Instructions for living a life:

Pay attention. Be astonished. Tell about it.   ~~~Mary Oliver

wildchild

Carolyn

Today I ran my favorite hilly route. It was a great run. 

13.3 miles, at a pace too embarrassing to mention, but I’m happy to say the hills were enumerous.

Sounds like fun!  I ran my hills Garmin-less today so I wouldn't be embarrassed by the pace. Your area sounds beautiful and bucolic. Smile  And why did the chicken cross the road? 

I liked reading about Mustang Sally's soggy adventures, but I must admit, I'm glad it doesn't rain here in the winter.   I like running in warm rain in the summer, but cold rain?  Not so much.  I'll take snow any day.  (Did I mention it's snowing today?)

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

mustang sally

Bad faerie

I liked reading about Mustang Sally's soggy adventures, but I must admit, I'm glad it doesn't rain here in the winter.   I like running in warm rain in the summer, but cold rain?  Not so much.  I'll take snow any day.  (Did I mention it's snowing today?)

Oh, good, because I'm on day eight of the drenched workout streak.  I like reading about the hills and races today.

Today, I got it from the top (rainnnn) and the bottom (lakes puddles), and then self-inflicted (stood in the lake for a while afterward to cool down a rolled ankle).  I ran a favourite route, one with just one hill.  One worth mentioning, that is.  The route is more or less that of a 10-miler in December that goes over that little monster, so I'm flinging myself against its sides every weekend (or so) between now and then, hoping the pain will arrive higher and higher up the side every time. 

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Riblet found this video on Reddit which I hadn't seen before.  Asics challenges people to run just 60 feet against Ryan Hall at his marathon pace.  You have to see this!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDs4j8ZHzVg

Spareribs

That is really impressive! 6'10" stride. No wonder photos never show his feet touching! It makes me think that training should involve trying to jump from one tape to another 6 feet away while landing mid sole with your foot under your body!  I think I'll start with 2 feet between tapes.

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

I'd trade an IM shirt for that one.  Great Idea to make running even more fun than it is.

sounds like the boomers succeeded in all distances from 5K - 100 miles yesterday

Is Ann Arbor where you moved?

Tet... I moved to Rochester ....near Rochrunner

The race was in Dexter, right next to Ann Arbor. Hour drive from Rochester.

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Paavo, you know you're crazy, but in a good way.  So you and Wildchild won't be embarrased by pace, I'll post mine.  11:03.  I ran 6.5 miles on one my usual routes, after a long "welcome back" walk with DW and the dogs.  She's been gone to a conference in Orlando.  So after that, on my run, I struggled a little the first couple of miles, then felt great, then struggled again the last few blocks.  But I hit my goal of 60 miles this week, the highest ever.  Well, actually, I did it once by accident because I was a pacer at the Surf City Marathon and I didn't taper that week.

Timbo, I see you've been quiet so I hope I didn't offend you and you know my comment about your dating was all in fun.

mta-I guess taper madness is already setting in so it's going to be a long 3 weeks.  I seem to be even more obsessed with numbers than ever.  I discovered looking in my blog stats that 3 weeks out from my PR in Eugene I ran 50 miles @10:49.  This time 60 miles @10:27.  Like Tramps said, I've got a good feeling about this one.  Somehow I don't think there's going to be a gospel choir in Vegas, though.

"I didn’t run a race until I was 41 and that was a marathon! Let that sink in for a minute." -me

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

divechief - we're still waiting for the predicted weekend rain.  I guess mustang is hogging it all.  Passes should be snow free. No particular reason <<<(seattlemarathon)>>>but I hope all the rain gets used up on the other side of the Sound or over here before this year's Thanksgiving weekend.  Do you want to join us in the Gobble Gobble 5K at Green Lake on 11/20?  In case 5K is too short, I know some people who would run out-and-back there in those days for the delightful circuit around the lake.

thanks perch. especially during the fall season, it's a beautiful part of the country and probably doesn't get too cold very often or too much snow to keep running all winter long. We'll be looking forward to more exploits from you and the other Michiganders.  (I always liked that)

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

I was up at 3:40 this morning and headed out for a quick 4-miles. I tried shortening my stride a bit, getting a little more leg lift and toe-push, and minimizing my knee hyper-extension. Did I pull it off? How do I know? But it did feel good, fluid and fast.

I was really pumped when I headed out at 5:30 to start the work for today's half marathon. The weather was going to be perfect (low 40s, sunny, and just a light breeze), and we were so ready for the race. Our race committee meets at least once a month for 10 months, and by the time we get to race day, it is extremely rare that there are any details that we didn't cover and prepare for. It is a pain in the butt to be reviewing this stuff again and again and again, but it sure is sweet when things go well on race day. And today, I think they did. The lead female runner and racewalker both set course records (1:21:41 and 1:49:28). We had 1,064 finishers. We raised about $75,000 for the local chapter of Big Brothers Big Sisters, and gave $500 each to the 6 other non-profits that staffed the water stops. All the left-over bottled water and untouched food went to a local shelter. The race committee doesn't get a dime, and we wouldn't have it any other way. We'll have our wrap-up meeting in a couple of weeks, meet in January to start the process of selecting next year's beneficiary, and then start doing this all over again, except that we'll try to make the race better next year. Except for my early am workout, I didn't racewalk a step today, but this was still one of my best races.

Jay

I was lucky enough to run in Jay's race.  He sells himself short on how well the race was set up.  Excellent organization, and execution.  Not to mention really good food after the race donated by local restaurant.  Clam chowder after a long run is my new favortie food. 

Due to my seriously deficient training this time around (10 mile long run just doesn't cut it),  I lined up with the 10 minute pace group and hoped I'd be able to stick with them the whole way.  Amost made it, but dropped off the last couple of miles to end up at 2:13:01 garmin. (and 13.28 miles)  Actually pretty happy, with only a couple of walks thoruhg the water stops and only a slightly sore calf.

I'd like to mention the fine runs of the past week, but I still haven't causght up with all the dailies after a very long work week in NJ.  and I'm back down there again tomorrow.  I'll try to do better reading.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Marathon Maniac #957

50k PR 4:56:27 Peachtree City.Ran another lap with a friend I convinced to do her 1st ultra! PR in weekly mileage 67.9

Nicely done!

Jay - great job putting together a terrific race.

Stumpy - nice racing on deficient training.

Paavo - that run sounds lovely....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

X

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

xor

I haven't seen updates yet, but just so's you know... Dove's race and Francesca's race, same place.  Javelina Jundred.  I was there too, but I was pacing, not racing.  The funny thing is that I ran over 55 miles.  Heck, I guess I should have just run 6+ more and collected a little buckle. 

Great big fun.  Hope they check in with details, unless maybe I missed them elsewhere.

Except for a few hours in the afternoon, it wasn't super duper over-the-top hot.  The night was not cold, but it RAINED.  Off and on, big chunky drops.  And we all learned that this course isn't entirely sand. There was a nasty section of shoe clogging clay mud.  Slippery and heavy.

WOOHOO!