Masters Running

Tuesday's Daily, 10.7.14 (Read 36 times)

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

if you'd like to continue the New England trail theme, there's a nice series of various length trail races in Maine on memorial day.  lots of choices for distances, too.  Forgot to mention--this is at the Pinelands, just north of Portland.  Very close to our camp (Hint, hint).

<aside>

SATURDAY, MAY 24 SCHEDULE

8:30 AM - Registration Opens
    10:00 AM - 10km Race start
    10:10 AM - 5km Canicross Race start
    11:00 AM - 5km Race start
    11:10 AM - Barefoot 5km Race start
    11:30 AM - BBQ opens (price not included in entry)
    12:30 PM - Awards Ceremony
    1:00 PM - Family Events

</aside>

<aside>

SUNDAY, MAY 25 SCHEDULE

5:00 AM - Registration Opens
    6:00 AM - 50 Mile Race start
    8:00 AM - 50 km Race start
    10:00 AM - 25km Race start
    12:00 PM - BBQ opens (free to runners)
    2:00 PM - Awards Ceremony 50K & 25K
    4:30 PM - Awards Ceremony 50 Mile race
    7:00 PM - Course closes

</aside>

Aamos - I live almost 4 hours southwest of Cleveland.  BTW, regarding a next year race, I already have OH, TN, KY, MA, WA, AK, VT, UT, so virtually any state besides those would be new.  Preferably near a big enough airport that flying costs would be reasonable.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

TammyinGP

Hi All! Back from my 5 days in MN.

I had a nice visit with MikeE and his wife on my first night there. Thanks again for the hospitality Mike. 
      Glad I packed warm sweaters. I had no need whatsoever for the 3 pairs of running shorts or tshirts. none 

I ran a 5K while I was back there, but it was billed as a Fun Run, so there was no awards or AG placements. Not sure what they thought was fun about running in 45 degree temps with 20 mph winds. crazy minnesoootans. whatever.

Had a great time at my reunion. If you are on facebook, you may have noticed a pic here and there that I was tagged in.

My son had a great meet this last Saturday. Even though he made varsity, the coach put him in the JV race for this particular meet. He won it by about 30 seconds, so was pleased with that, even if he wasn't happy with his time of 19:14. He said the course had a number of sharp turns and it was over 90 degrees, so I'm guessing that explains the slower race time.

Tammy

Love the Pineland races in Maine and the "trails" are grassy loops and awesome. Like Stumpy said Holly! Although it's YOUR birthday! A whole group of us are heading to Pineland Farms for the races this year. Hudson and I will do the Doggy 5k.

And speaking of Cleveland, that's where I am right now---well, at the airport. Heading back home in just a bit. I raced Sunday with my team (I know, I know! so soon after the 50miler, but my team sponsored the race) and then headed off for work at College of Wooster for two days. Happy to get home as always.

Go David Go!

And C-R, that son of yours is sure speedy too. Congrats to all of you and your DW in particular for two years in a row with the all clear.

Marj! Are you running the Tufts 10k on 10/13? Can't say I have much leg speed back (although I managed 7:18 pace at the 5 miler on Sunday), but a few of us are heading to Boston for the race. How about you Denise? Love that race and with Joan Benoit Samuelson shaking everyone's hands on the finish line, even better!

coastwalker I am impressed you can have an idea like that and get back to sleep.  I typically start rolling it around in my head and pretty soon it is time to get up.  

C-R happy birthday to your DW.  With presents like that I am impressed you have survived various gift giving occasions this long!  

AamosY you are one tough cookie!  Personally, I like tapering.  It is the one time doing nothing counts as training!  But, convincing my stomach that it should stop demanding as much as it did previously is kind of tough.

Spareribs we have some trail races around here that are designed to go through a mess like you did today and they sell out fast!  Along with my "no running in the rain" (c) policy I also have a "no running through streams or muddy trails" (c) policy to go with it.

fatozzig you need to raise your rate.  Seriously.  You should.  General rule:  If you have far too much work you are not charging enough.  Another good rule is never say no.  Make an offer.  You want me to put you first.  I can do that.  Here is the cost.  Let them say yes or no.  If they say yes, you will be happy to have the bonus.  If they say no, you are back where you were to begin with.

stumpy77 I think that around here any celestial events will be hidden for the next 10 days or more if the weather forecast is right.

Holly S. you did not ask, but I think the answer is always rest.  At worst it is a day off.  At best it avoids a month off.

tselbs low 40s already!  Run away!  Run away!

Dave59 I hope you eventually managed to get IM free and out!

StarrRuns if you have a good local playhouse with a good person heading it you are very lucky.  We used to have season tickets to our local theater.  But the productions were so horrible we used to bet prior to each show's start whether we would make it past intermission.  We no long have tickets.

TammyinGP I always wonder what one of these pseudo race "fun runs" are supposed to be.  Untimed?  Fine, but that is what I call my typical run.  It is fun.  But it is also free!

CNYrunner all I can say is you have tendons of steal!  Also, do me a favor.  If you ever give up flying please give me a week's heads up.  I want to short the stock of every airline out there!

I went off today for 14 miles.  It turned out to be a pretty good morning for a run despite the weather report.  No rain.  Reasonable dew point.  Not too cold.  Windy though.  At one point I saw waves breaking near a road and for the first time ever saw sea spray coming up to the road.  Quite a sight.  I wanted to get a picture but no dice with my cell.

I now need a way to convince my DW to run the Savannah HM even if her sister does not go with us to run race support.  She worries about me running sans support.  I keep telling her I will be fine.  But, if I can convince her sister to come along that will solve all my problems.  Well, not all, but all my "get my DW to run the Savannah HM" problems.  

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Hi all -- 5.4 easy talking miles early this morning with the friend I've told you about who is battling a rare mito disease and started the "we finish together" medal program ......so wonderful spending the miles talking with her on her good days!!  Felt great to get a run in before Day 2 of the Bereavement Conf too!!

CNY - don't think I am heading in to the Tufts 10k this year --- running the BAA 1/2 the day before embedding it in my 20 mile long run and just don't think I will feel like heading into Boston the next day  ---- however, if dh works and the weather is nice I may think differently!! 

I need to put myself to bed -- having a food fest today and that needs to stop!! 

denise

mrrun

CNY - I'm also running the BAA half, so won't be running Tufts.  Also, I resent that for a race of at least 6000 women, they have 10 year age groups.  Many of our friends in the NE 65+ club don't run as a protest and these are 8 minute runners in their 70's!

no run for me today as we started with a funeral of a friend who died unexpectedly and just ended with a meeting in our condo.  hopefully tomorrow after the morning monsoon I can get out before partying with another friend who's retiring!  Just another reminder to live live fully and hug our friends and relatives.

marj

lamerunner

greetings. I second the idea of Pineland Farns. I. ran 50k there the year I turned 50. Very hilly but good footing mostly. There are fields which can be  tough when wet. Fun atmosphere with 25k option and showers, food. etc.

I. ran 8 through town this morning, mild and humid.  Foliage looking better every day, .

Dave59

San Francisco, end of July??? Great city for celebrations, and you'd "own" the Golden Gate  ever after.  Every time you see it, you can say "I ran that!."

Foot Traffic Flat, July 4, Oregon??

Florida, anytime all winter or next winter (end of 2015), for longer planning?  Jacksonville, e.g., is Dec. 28 this year.  Clearwater, Jan. 18, Melbourne (near Cocoa Beach) Feb. 1,  Ft. Lauderdate, Feb. 15 (I am doing these).  I just amn't wild about Disney.  Very spendy, for onc.

Dallas White Rock, in Dec (and Ribs!!)???

Grandmas in June?  Kids should be out of school....relatively central.  There's an airport there, or what I did was fly into the Cities and drive to Duluth--easy drive, less than 3 hours, if we had a bunch of folks, we could split it...

Detroit next October?  or the Martian (love it!!) in spring??

Lincoln Nebraska is a well-organized race, in the spring.

Casper Wyoming, in June?  That's a nice run.  You'd see antelopes, for sure.

Quad Cities was a lot of fun and you can use that for a couple states, I think.

Where do you fancy, m'lady??

Tallahassee in early February and you can visit my grand daughters.

Mariposai

I think Aamos needs to give more options.  Those provided seem pretty puny . . . .

I agree.

What about the Coeur-dalene marathon in Idaho

http://www.eventbrite.com/e/2015-coeur-dalene-marathon-half-marathon-myhealth-5k-registration-11798548777

or the Missoula marathon in Montana?

http://www.missoulamarathon.org/events/marathon/

Anyway,

I did run 6 miles today at noon and happy that I was able to fit a run in.

Cheers,

Mariposai

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Mariposai

I now need a way to convince my DW to run the Savannah HM even if her sister does not go with us to run race support.  She worries about me running sans support.  I keep telling her I will be fine.  But, if I can convince her sister to come along that will solve all my problems.  Well, not all, but all my "get my DW to run the Savannah HM" problems.  

I volunteer to be the sherpa for both of you. Just book the plane ticket and I will be there 

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Marathon Maniac #957

Wow - some great options for 2015 races thrown out here!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."