Masters Running

Sunday 13th Boom- Master Runs (Read 828 times)

Can't leave for the rink just yet....MC is flying. Thanks for his bib number Erika....he's bearing down on the finish and his splits through 20 are amazing. CNY
      I wonder how they ended up with Houston and Disney on the same weekend? Disney pushed their race back a week. Anybody know why? Fortunately, I see they have better weather in Disney this year. Here is to all the fleet footed boomers down south! After my long run yesterday today was a recovery run. First half alone, second half with DW. She left early to run 7 and I was happy to meet up with her so that I could run a bit less. Ended up with 6.21mi@9:47. Well it looks like the great weather here in CT ends tonight. Cry They are forecasting 3-7 inches of snow this evening. That is going to make for just a really great commute tomorrow morning. Dead

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Manchild

I ran what was to be a short "recovery" run after yesterday's long run. Ran 3.3 in 29:50 which comes out to a 9:03 pace which is faster than my pace yesterday! Here's a question, how does one or should one, run a recovery run. Is it difficult for anyone else here to run slower than their normal training paces? My legs and feet were alittle gimpy from yesterday and I finished up today's run by walking the last 1.6 miles in 27 minutes. A "must-listen": Ben Harper's, "Fight For Your Mind". Brings to mind the endless debate of whether running long distances is more mental or physical... MC is cookin'!!! Chris

Marathon Maniac #957

When Dexter-dog started running with Holly a few months ago, he had 6 inch legs.
          Well, you know what they say about women and judging measurements accurately... Big grin Spareribs - I meant to say that mcsolar was the one who posted about it on the recent marathon training speedwork thread. I see now that he said you were the one who called it "wave runs." Tramps - golly you were such a cutie! Mari - I don't know how often I will do the wave runs, but every other weekend from here till May I will do a 12-14-mile LR (alternating with 18-20-miiles on the weeks in between) and that seems like a good run to do that in.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

spacityrunner

Hi Mr. Ribs! Anxiously awaiting all boomer race reports..... After yesterdays walk, I was not sure what my foot would allow me to do today...but seems as tho it likes me today. So off I went and manged 3.2 in 42 something for an avg 13 m/m. I was looking for 14 m/m but I'll take it!!!! This PF is a strange bedfellow....all feels good. Go figure! Hey Vista....I started my own blog too!!! Thanks for giving me the courage to learn one more new thing. Anyone that is interested it is at http://runningindc.blogspot.com. I have listened to solarmix 11...I better not use that while out running till this PF is gone, or I will find myself in injury land....it is a motivator for sure. Thanks MC!!!

Trails Rock!

Me

Good Afternoon Everyone, 5 miles in 45:51 for me today. Cheers Mike
                Good Afternoon All, Today completed a great week of running all runs felt good, 31.7 miles and times were on target. Weather has been great in NE Ohio, not that warm but roads have been clear. Today's run run was 11 miles at exactly goal pace of 10:00 average. Beginning to think I'm about to turn the corner from my old hip problems of the last couple years. I 'm still taking baby steps as I progress but am right on schedule for my plan to run flying pig half. Smile Charley sometimes I think all my runs are recovery runs. Wink But that's OK my main goal is to run today so I can run tomorrow. I sure enjoy reading about ya'll running adventures and comments. I mostly have to post too late to be very involved but I'm counting on ya'll to keep it interesting. Smile

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

I was out pretty early this morning for a little over 12 miles at a nice easy 10:10 pace. I dislike starting out in the dark on weekends, but I was rewarded with a nice sunrise about half-way through the workout. Like Holly, I am shifting between medium-long and long on alternate weekends. I think mine will average a mile or two shorter than hers in each case. Trying to take good care of my fragile bones...

aka Mrs. WillRunForBeer, MD, USA

Marathoning, the triumph of desire over reason

I had forgotten to post, what with needing to eat and all after my run. Longest run since Oct 13 (Hartford). Right now I feel pretty beaten up. The run was slow, but it's in the books now. Target was warmup (1), HR 140 (4), 145 (4), 150 (4), 155-160 (4). Workout: 16.2 miles HR 141, 146, 150, 158, 8:55/mi Overall: 17.2 miles, 2:33

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

SteveP

Good Morning! I swung by my house and ran the last mile with the Dexter-dog. He only has 4” legs, but he easily outpaces me…grrr… Hoping the racers have an excellent day!
                      I have one point to make and one question. Point: You look better in a running skirt than Dexter. Question: How far is that in Dog miles??? Erika, I rode a bicycle 7.5 miles to work in -10F...I was dressed for -30F...I over heated. As soon as I stopped, I tore layers off. The grabbed my bike and my hand froze to it. It's good to see a post from you Ribs. 3.3 miles...Kinda slushy.. DD#1 is having a baby shower today. If it's a boy, I'm naming the baby Robin and getting it a red romper with a yellow cape. If it's a girl, I'm naming the baby Robin and getting it a red romper with a yellow cape. The hard part is not knowing. We don't want to jump the gun and wind up getting the wrong thing.

SteveP

I took yesterday off after my hamstring was sore after cramping on Thursday. Ran 10.1 today, longest run since last April! 36.5 for the week is a new personal best. Thanks to everyone for posting on here and helping to keep me motivated.
                        SteveP

HermosaBoy, If you're lurking, let us know how you are and how ReHab is going. Meet any women who dig scars????

SteveP

Hey everyone Feeling sluggish after yesterday's hugely successful Karoake/Wine and Cheese Party. Over 60 people including about 35 kids (33 girls and two boys)...what a time. Had a bit to much wine, beer and rye with the stragglers and only ran an hour and fifteen minutes today as I was really tired and sluggish. Tomorrow supposed to be an off day but I will run an extra 10K ez to keep building the base. Here is a picture of my new running lady friend and her daughter from yesterday's party at my house. Take care everyone Tall

Recent Best times: None recently

PJH

Craneium - nice running ...keep it up! Chris - I try to keep it simple. I consider recovery and easy runs to be basically the same. The key of course is to run your easy/recovery runs easy, however you detemine the pace. I use Daniels and my easy pace is about 1:30 slower than MP. It was tough to do at first, but I find I can put in more mileage with easy runs and minimize the stress on my body. I do two "fast or speed" sessions a week (if I can call them that) which is about 10-15 % of my total mileage ... everything else is easy/recovery. Also, my LR pace will usually be the same as any "recovery" run I might do the following day. Today's run is a good example. Nice easy 9.5 miles @ 9:50 in 1:34. Felt pretty good following yesterday's 16-miler. A victory of sorts having run some good mileage this week while fighting this chest cold. PJ
                                A gorgeous sun-soaked, calm day in the PNW. Honestly I can't remember the last time we had this much sun. I think the sun-god was showing his love today. I did a 14.13 mile run @ 10:42 o/a. My outdoor loops go by 4 different park bathrooms, spaced about every 1.5 to 2 miles. I made liberal use of them today. Was feeling kind of cruddy from miles 9 to 12 but thankfully that passed and the last two miles were awesome. I felt strong! I pushed the pace the last mile, but forgot to push lap before the big 100 ft hill, so it read 10:20 for that mile. Roll eyes It feels great to NOT be completely wiped out now. Smile enjoy the day

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."