Masters Running

Spring Forward March 8 Runs and Whatever... (Read 479 times)

Nice race, Tramps! My run was a combination of Bill's and Steve's. Like Bill, PDR and I skied this past week and flew in last night. Then like Steve, I ran 17, but not quite as fast. Gee it's warmer here than in NC! Mine was at 70°F. 17.1 miles, 2:30:52, 8:48/mi, AHR 156 (78% mhr) miles@pace(AHR) = 5@9:15(147), 7@8:50(156), 5.13@8:19(166) splits: 9:03(149) 9:19(143) 9:20(142) 9:21(149) 9:14(150) 9:00(152) 8:58(154) 8:56(149) 8:47(155) 8:48(157) 8:49(162) 8:35(162) 8:20(166) 8:26(168) 8:30(165) 8:20(164) 8:04(167) 1:01(173) [0.13=7:50]

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

PJH

A 34:21 time (6:55) and a nice 40-second PR.
      Very nice race, Tramps! You do seem ready for your marathon. Race predictor says around 3:20!! Big grin Just kidding of course! PJ

I Can Go The Distance

Happy Spring Forward Day Everyone, Well, those of us who run in the morning are plunged back into darkness again! Went out for my LR at 6 am. I ran 3 miles at the track (in the dark) and then hit the roads for 10 miles. I ran my hilly course today and by the time I got to the top the sun was coming up, it was a really beautiful sunrise. Because I was on the hills for most of my run, my time was a bit slower than usual, 2:16:07.98 (10:29/mi). This was my last LR before a 5k race next Sunday. I feel strong and I think I should do fairly well. Since I am at the beginning of my racing season I am not looking for a PR, but I should be somewhere around 7:50 to 8 min/mi. Happy Birthday Holly. Smile Next year I move into a new age group was well (60-64) and I can't wait. At most of the races I run I should be able to get a medal next year and at one, I may even have a chance to finish first depending on who shows up. So just remember that we are getting faster and stronger each year and that there are plenty of goals left to shoot for. Have a great day everyone, Bruce

"Don't give up, don't ever give up." Jim Valvano

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Does anyone know where Mainerunnah is? I miss his posts!
            A bunch of great runs here today. 13 miles with miles 11 and 12 at BQP which is 8:20 for me. Rainy but mostly drizzle and 35 degrees so pretty nice conditions. Not a lot of time so hope everyones runs are great Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

Marathon Maniac #957

Tramps – congrats on your 8K PR, and when you were holding back – nice job! WRFB – excellent progressive 17-miler! What’s your MP?

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

I'm so enjoying the fantastic weather here at the Jersey shore this weekend. I feel like running these past two days, with temps in the mid-60s, blazing sunshine, and light breezes, are the pay- off for enduring so much cold and wind beside the ocean all winter. The only downside is that the tourists have converged on the boardwalk and have NO CLUE that it's not OK to lollygag in the the runner's lane. Solved that problem today by taking advantage of low tide and running on the beach. Cool From wool hat, double-layered mittens, two shirts, two jackets, and two pairs of tights to ball cap, 3/4 sleeve shirt, and running skirt in one week - I'll take it! I've pressed my luck a little by running 12 miles this weekend - 7 yesterday and 5 today - but I feel greta and have been stretching extra-carefully, so I think I'll be OK. Definite rest day tomorrow and a then a few easy miles on Tuesday. A question for all of you long-run veterans about refueling during long runs. I'm planning to do . . . . no, I AM GOING TO RUN a 10-mile race on the first Sunday in May (gulp; no turning back now). I'm expecting it to take me over two hours and it could be really warm. My long run is up to 8 miles and I'm hoping to do my first 10-mile training run next weekend. During the summer, I carry a bottle of 3/4 Gatorade and 1/4 water with me, but I know it won't last through the whole race, so I'll be depending on water and other liquid (I think they have Powerade) at rest stops during the race. Should I start trying some sort of gu or whatever in the meantime? Any recommendations? I stopped in mile 5 yesterday to drink about 10 ounces of Powerade and thought I was going to hurl during the rest of the run - not how I want to finish the race down Broad Street! Eliz

flomotioncoaching.com

Eliz, you might want to try just water and one Gu around mile 6. Or dilute the poweraid whatever to more like half strength. Experiment, but I know full strength gatorade is hard on the tummy sometimes. Ok, so there was ice on the roads and sidewalks so I went to the gym, mentally steeling myself for 16 miles on the dreadmill. I was running nice and easy and not hating it all that much when suddenly around 6.4 miles I get this intense shooting pain in the ball of my foot. Every 4th or 5th step, OUCH, so I had no option but to quit. It even hurt a few times walking. Is it some kind of pinched nerve??? Now that I am home it feels ok. I just started in on a new pair of asics but they feel really stiff for some reason. I think I will remove the new superfeet insoles I put in there and put the original ones back (but then I will eventually get inner shin pain....)

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

WRFB – excellent progressive 17-miler! What’s your MP?
                    Well, I always hope for 8:00, but I seem to be stuck at about 8:10 Roll eyes

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

King of PhotoShop

Tramps, this year I was sure we would see you at sub-7's for a short distance run, so this is great news, and what good timing too. Don't listen to PJH. You are not running any 3:20, but I do expect you will have a great marathon. Very well done. Tammy, the Saint's PR for the half was a 2:16 in December when she was paced by LaTortuga. It was warm and windy, but the course was excellent. My guess is that she can easily run a half at better than ten minute miles and I predict she will run about 2:08 or 2:09, provided we have good weather. It is really warming up here now. The course is the same one she did in December. Spareribs
                        Hey Masters.... wrinkles and grey hair are beautiful. I had 18 miles scheduled for today. I broke down at mile 16 and walked back to the truck. Broke down, cracked and shattered, Left in pieces like it never even mattered. Broke down, torn and frayed, Aint nothing left you could give away. There's no turnin' round, it's broke down. SC
                        Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
                        evanflein

Wow, Tramps... that's quite the 8k race for you! Excellent job on the PR and pacing. It is funny how it helps to have someone to pace with, whether you're trying to beat them or not. Steve takes it easy with 17 miles of hills. Hmmm. Lots of nice runs here for several of us... except what happened to Evryday!?? You ok? And Enke, that ball of foot pain is a buggar. Mine means metatarsal issues flaring up again which is always bad news. Hope the insole switch works... I had to go back and read yesterday's thread this morning while eating my bagel. Hardly got online yesterday at all. Lots of good runs, you can sure tell there's lots of peaking and priming for a big race coming up! I've been bothered by my inability to get through long runs ever since Disney. Anything over 15 miles seems to lead to a crash of some sort. I've only had to really sacrifice one, stopping last week's treadmill 20 at 15 because I just. couldn't. do. 5. more. miles... So, given travel schedule coming up and DH leaving for Pittsburgh early this morning, I thought I'd try that 20 again. It's been a chilly March already for us and when I was coming back from the airport at 5:30 a.m. it was -15 at the bottom of the hill, and dropped from there. Phooey I thought, and went back to bed. Up at 8 and the temps had dropped to almost -18. Great. But as I got ready to go over the next hour it went up to -16, so that's a good trend. Off I went down the road. I didn't worry about pace because my goal was to get the distance done. The roads were icy in spots, but ok. Traffic was sporadic with a lot of cars not giving me an inch to spare. Angry I got to my parents' house at 7 miles and had a drink. Dad offered to pick me up if I felt the need, and I told him I probably would on the way back. The snow, ice, wind and traffic took a toll, I'd had enough at 12 miles. Stopped and asked Dad to take me home, but I'd keep going down the road till he picked me up. I got to 13 miles and there he was. Once at home, I ran another mile back and forth on my road (had to get the paper, anyway), then came in at 14 miles and got on the treadmill after telling grumpy DS1 he had to take DS2 to soccer cuz I wouldn't be ready. So, I got on the 'mill and cranked out another 7 miles to finish with 21 miles, 8:42 average pace for the whole thing. Very, very glad that's over. Didn't feel like it killed me, but it was an effort to finish. Chocolate milk, banana, some almonds and a shower later, I'm ready to tackle what's left of my day. (sorry that was so long... I'm pretty chatty today I guess) Smile
                          dg.

Hi all, So many nice runs, as always. byll & wrfb come to mind....(again as always) Hey, Mary. our runs were almost the same! woohoo for me Wink. I hope you beat that cold. Tramps, nice!!! Perch, did you have to call that 'easy'? Thanks for all your kind words Friday! Your encouragement is very much appreciated. Yesterday I ran 3.1 miles at the track. It was counter -clockwise day, which for a month or 2 has hurt a lot, but this time it was much better. I'm happy with today, all things considered. It was 3 days in a row, which I almost never do. My weekly mileage since I tripped has been .4, 4.2, then 16 this week. So (sorry) back to today... some days it rains!! But it was pretty fun. Howling winds in my ears went from invigorating to enough already pretty fast, but still, it was 40F, & just 12-14 mpw winds. Pretty nice, really. 6.22 miles, with no stops. just 10.19 pace, 9:03 max. Fast just doesn't work right now. HR was better than it's been for a very long time. (for me), ahr 159, max 170. I felt so virtuous when I stopped for my byll™ cool down walk.. thinking I wanted to & could have done more, but as I am always reasonable, I didn't. Roll eyes Then, the walk started to get a little long & I started to run again. oops. No more. Oh well. At the gym I did 15:18 on the precor elliptical, 10:11 on the rowing machine, first attempt at that, 23:00 on the octane elliptical, ahr 146, max 160, & 20 minutes of lower body weight machines. Teresa, I was wondering about Mainerunnah too. also Liz (runningindc). Has anyone heard from her?
                            dg.

Erika... up to -16?? whoot. Roll eyes Serious Way To Go. get some rest, huh?
                              Mariposai

Happy Sunday afternoon/evening to all. Another 4 easy miles for me this early morning, o was it late night..I am not sure. I was having too much fun with my art into the early hours of the morning, while chaperoning a bunch of teens who were just hanging out at my house. When I woke up DH said...let us go skiing..let's said I... and off we went to the ski hill to rip down some mean runs. I conquered (non-stop) Volunteer and Bulldog, our meanest runs in that ski hill, not only once, but twice. It is so cool to feel the power of the runner's quad burning........hmmmmmm. But I must admit, I wish I was skiing in Colorado. Any pictures to share breger? {{{{Erika}}}}}just because gf.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard