Masters Running

Wednesday, June 11th Daily (Read 461 times)

evanflein

Just back from taking DH and the boys to the airport. They're headed off to Hawaii a few days before me. I don't envy him... both boys are tired and very grumpy. Ah, and I get the house to myself with the dog and cat for a few days. He may not be having fun yet... but I am! Big grin Vista, we should all be as fortunate as your brother to have such a wonderfully supportive sibling. I'd like to think my sister would be there for me, and me for her... If positive vibes can make a difference, then your brother should be feeling them! A cloudy cool day here, but should be nice enough later for some easy miles. Need to balance the desire for getting some good miles in with needing to take it somewhat easy for tomorrow's race. Tall, that event you've entered sounds like a real hoot. Something my DH could get into, especially if he didn't care about finishing time!! Sue, I think I need to go up half size as well. Usually wear 10.5 (but can't get over thinking 11's will be too long!). Lou, those areas of Vegas can be grim. If you can get out into some of the residential areas, that was really nice when I ran there last year. But you gotta go early... it was over 100F every day I was there last June!
      Good Morning! Vista---you are an amazing brother and your brother will always know he is cherished and loved. That's a true gift. Thanks for sharing so much of yourself with all of us. I hope Eliz is feeling better? Hang in there Jlynne----exciting weekend ahead. You too Dave---congrats on the graduation tonight and the 25 year milestone! The monster workouts are back and I am happy with how it all went. These workouts test stamina, strength and steady pacing. They are long in miles as well, so you learn how to push it when tired. I set out at 7:30 AM and ran 5 miles to Look Park---this first section was to be at relaxed pace and I hit that at 8:56 pace or so. The paved loop around the park is 1.25 miles and the plan was 3x1.25 miles at 6:55 pace with generous rest at 4-5 minutes in between. I ran an 8:38, 8:37, 8:38....yee haw---right on 6:55-54 pace! As the summer goes forward, the rest intervals will decrease and the number of speed sections will go up to 8. The 5 miles home were to be run at a slightly faster pace and I ran those in 8:28 pace or so. The whole workout was 14 miles and change. I am tired, but not trashed. The park loop has a little hill in it, so I get a pay-off downhill in one of the speed ups and a push it hard uphill in another. I had to laugh...."Super Freak" was playing in my ears during the last speed loop. Indeed. Have a good day all....Lots of power outages in the area after last night's storm and I hope all in Wisconsin, Michigan etc will get a break soon. Turns out I drove home last night through "tornadic winds" or so the local meteorologist declared. Good day to all Karin/CNYrunner

King of PhotoShop

My oldest brother passed away a few years ago, from colon cancer. He is a Marine, and I use the present tense on purpose. He was always so proud that he served with the Marines, and would always say to me, "Once a Marine, always a Marine" and now even though he has been gone a while, I still say he's a Marine. I know he still is one. I idolized my brother Tommy. I couldn't accept that he was dying and one day my brother in law Joe, whom some of you know here, called me and said, "If you want to see Tom before he goes, you had better come out here now." So I flew to CA and drove to San Juan Capistrano and visited him in the hospital. I knew that he knew he didn't have long to go, and I sat on his bed and we shared stories of happier times. He told me that it was too bad that with my busy schedule I didn't get out there to see him as often and said that when he gets out of the hospital we should go deep sea fishing, and how much fun that would be. So we began making a plan to do that, and I remember it was the hardest conversation I ever had, trying desperately not to cry in front of him and keeping the conversation upbeat. When it was time to go I said I'd see him again soon, gave him a hug and told him I loved him, which I had never done before, and made it out of the room in one piece. It was only after I got out that I sat down outside and cried like a baby for quite some time. I feel for you Joey, but just writing this brings back all that difficult sadness, so I will leave your letter unread, but I wish you both well. I know this is a very hard time for you. Spareribs
          3 days until the wedding - always remember the mother of the groom motto: "show up, shut up, wear beige!" . Jeanne
          LOL Jeanne - but i have 4 sons and I DON'T LOOK GOOD IN BEIGE!! Wink is that really what i'm destined to wear?? Good luck with the last few days before the wedding - hope all goes smoothly!!

denise

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Vista's letter is beautiful. I was out at 5 a.m. for a run with Brinkley. 5 miles - 9:19 pace. We see a wabbit at the same spot every time, but is it the same wabbit?? A nice morning - around 60 degrees and very little humidity. That'll be back tomorrow with a vengence I hear. Then I had to go donate blood for my physical next week. Happy Hump Day! I haven't posted any puppy photo's lately and I think we can all use a little sunshine in our day: They love the grass and run to me as soon as I'm in sight: I put a new bed in their kennel this morning. So far they love exploring it:

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
            It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

I Can Go The Distance

Good Morning Vista: You and your brother continue to be in my prayers. Ran 6 miles easy at the track with my running partner today. The weather was really ideal for running, sunny and 61 F. Time was 1:00:27 10:05/mile pace. Have a great day everyone. Bruce

"Don't give up, don't ever give up." Jim Valvano

The puppies are MARVELOUS. Thanks hopeful Mary and just what we needed! Sending a hug to Spareribs too. CNYrunner
                wildchild

Carolyn

Vista, hugs to you and your brother. You're both very special people. Your daily post today and your letter were both very thought-provoking. You have such a big heart, and you've touched all of us in the boomer family more than you can know. Spareribs, your post was equally moving. We never really get over the death of a loved one. My younger brother died 13 years ago this month, in a kayaking accident. I think about him almost every day. His daughter graduated from high school last week. She was 5 when he died. I don't know how much she remembers him, which is sad. She's turned out to be a very lovely, bright, and thoughtful young woman, and he'd be very proud of her. We're heading to the east coast tomorrow for a long weekend with my parents and my in-laws. We'll spend fathers day with both our dads, which will be so nice. I'll check in as time permits while I'm away. I joined this forum for the running, but its turned out to mean so much more. All of you "virtual friends' are more like family. Thank you all for being you.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

....hawt.....hhhhaawwttt.......HOT.......HOT....... 90's, no wind, not enough water, wanted to QUIT........ ......120min uncomfortable hike..... .................good running guys.........it still Beats Working......

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Mariposai

Happy 25th Anniversary Dave59. Smile Smile. I hope you and your DW celebrate you day in a very special way. Butterfly hugs to Vista and his brother. Day off for me today since I am traveling to Seattle for the next two days. I decided to run my scheduled LR today, which was not a good idea since I had a not so easy yoga class last night. 13 miles in 47 degree sunny weather. Instead of my regular route I decided to go exploring today, I went up "respectable hill" which for the first time I was able to run the whole way up. I was feeling pretty good about my little self when I took the wrong turn and came up to another hill Black eye. It was a struggle to keep the average HR I was aiming for, but I did it. All in all the run was great, the legs are tired and the lungs did fairly well. Right about now my DS2 should be flying out of San Francisco to Tokio. We have yet to hear a word from him, which we knew it would be the case, but darn it is hard not to know how he is doing.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

<vista>>> Lots of work, little sleep but nice running lately. Ran 10.5 miles of rolling hills in 1:29:17 (8:30 pace). Ran on a new route here in Ripley WV. The paved road turned to dirt/gravel. It was very foggy and my glasses kept steaming, hard to see at 5 am. On down past some bends I heard a loud, deep growling, I'm going to eat you, barking and the clear sound of a heavy chain clanking with each tug. Even thought I heard the sound of a heavy wooden dog house being dragged. "Chain PLEASE hold" was my mantra. On up the road the route dead ended so back past the monster dog. No problem. I took another road whiich was very nice. Any road with the word "Valley" in it is good around here (ones with "ridge" or "heights" are a problem). This road was car-less and winding by a creek with rolling hills. A few miles down, near where I was going to turn around, a dog (collie type) came out of a drive and started running along side, petting close. He followed at my side for quite a while. I was a bit surprised to come upon a sports field and entrances with signs that said something "Campus". A campus way out here? Wierd. I turned around and the dog followed me back to his driveway but I could not shake him. I stopped, told him to sit (which he did!), then said "stay" and he rolled on his back. When I moved he got back up to follow. I rang the doorbell (6 am!) a lady answered and I appologized profusely but told her that her dog would follow me all the way back to Ripley. She said I bet "Cubby Bear" would, he runs with the Corrections Officers when they come by on their 7 mile run Shocked It was nice running with Cubby Bear. After the stop, full energy returned and I had a sproinky run back to the hotel. Have great runs, Steve</vista>

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

King of PhotoShop

Ran 6 miles easy at the track with my running partner today. The weather was really ideal for running, sunny and 61 F. Time was 1:00:27 10:05/mile pace.
                          I am watching your steady progress, growth in mileage, and your determined schedule. I imagine you are feeling pretty good right now, as you should be. Very nice work. Are you training for some specific event Bruce? I also noticed you posted yesterday an interval workout that consisted of 400's at what I thought was around 7:36 per mile pace and 2:30 recoveries. I am interested in knowing how you selected that workout and what it was for. If you get a chance, let us know what's on tap for you going forward. It's really great to see your continued improvement. Spareribs
                          lamerunner

Hello again. Heat has dissipated somewhat in the Northeast. DH was out of town last night though and I was unable to drag myself up at 5 to run before getting my DD out of bed. Still in school another two weeks. I did get to the Y at lunch and got on the TM so I could trick mysel finto a speed type workout. I did 2 miles warmup at 8:27 pace, a two mile tempo at 7:10, easy 1/2 mile, 1 mile tempo at 6:58 down to 6:48 , an easy .3, then a 1/2 mile interval at about 6:40 pace and the last .7 easy. About 7 miles total. CNY ( Karin?), where do your get your workout ideas? Do you have a coach? Your workouts look very good, intelligent,( though they might kill me.) lol I am aiming for an early October marathon and hoping to get back under 3:30. My body is a bit unreliable; I have RA and recently some muscle inflammation issues too, but I am trying.. Vista, beautiful post and letter. You are a great brother.
                              Ok, that's enough sniffling for me today, you guys keep this up and I'll have to stop reading RA. Sad 6.3 miles easy 10:28 pace. Rain held off but it was kind of cold again, 50F. Aamos, I enjoyed reading about Frank's attachment to DH. Frank is jealous of the teddy bear, and are you jealous of Frank??

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Franc59

Half Fanatic #36

Good Morning Everyone! Another "Junuary" day in the PNW. The constant cold , rain and grey sky are wearing me down, and I can tell that so many of the local people I talk to during my work day are equally affected..I was warned when we moved here 4 years ago... June can be a difficult month!! Vista, My thoughts are with you and your brother. It is heart warming to read about such caring and love amongst siblings. I'm an only child and for the first part of my life , so many times wished for a sister or brother. When I met my DH , over 25 years ago, I was overjoyed by the fact he had 2 brothers whom I was going to adopt as mine too, picking up even a couple of sisters in their wives!! Unfortunately,what I thought was the unbreakable bond of brotherhood very sadly fell apart a few years later. At present, mt DH hasn't seen and has hardly spoken to one brother in over 10 years and almost five with the other one. It is such a foolish waste to throw away such a gift. Back to running: rest, or rather lack of time today; barely 4 miles yesterday . I've signed up for a trail race on Sat, Lake Youngs, , which consists of 3 laps of 9.5 miles each . Since I 'll have to be at work in the morning, I'll barely manage 2 even with a 6 am early start , still I'm very much looking forward to my first outing as a MM! Enke: those pies in Carnation on 7/4 are really worth running for...they are the best, I'll be there too!! and you got me thinking about a Relay ...that would be a lot of fun indeed!! Francesca