Masters Running

Sept. 1 Labor Day runs - or runs that are laboring (Read 378 times)

Hope this is not too late to add to the thread, DW had me out furniture/fabric shopping all afternoon after I got back from my run. Didn't expect to do 20 miles today, that's just how it turned out. Expected to do maybe 14 or 15. HR started out lower than usual, even driving to the nature park. A cooler morning, too, so I just upped the pace a bit over the normal easy run. I'm still logging it as "easy" though, because it was done at easy heart rates (112 - 114 for the 1st 1 3/4 hours, then eased it up to 117.) Saw the usual squirrels and bunnies, plus 4 deer. Luckily, my route isn't too far from the park restrooms at about 8 miles, and I really needed that restroom today. It must have been those oatmeal raisin cookies the XYL (oh, the DW) brought home yesterday. Just couldn't resist having 6 or 7... they're my favorite. (sorry, maybe the use of "XYL" will smoke out the hams...) Parenthetically, that reminds me of the story about Jim Pearson visiting his aunt the day before the national championship 50-mile one time and pigging out on the oatmeal raisin cookies she had just baked. The next day he felt nature calling at about the 25 mile point and took advantage of an outhouse/porta-potty in a farmer's field to lighten his load. He went on to win the race. So after having stopped to lighten my load at about 8 miles or so, I decided to just repeat the 1st 10 miles of my normal route. Then, realizing that my legs felt good and only 2 more miles were needed to make it a 20... the rest is history. Felt good, and could have gone on, but had to get home to the DW and her shopping plans. A good day, though... best I've felt at the 20 mile point of any run for a few months. Take it easy, everyone, and have a good week... Gino

King of PhotoShop

Gino, congrats on the long run. Now mail in your dollar fine for the TMI part. Spareribs
        Well, I have finished packing for two weeks away. As tomwhite pointed out, it could be a lot worse: some Guard units get sent to Iraq, and we haven't been there yet. Tomorrow I was supposed to start a new teaching job and also start fall courses at UMass. Obviously if they tell me to go to Louisiana, I will go, but it's bad timing. Not complaining, just saying. All of us have to report to the armory with bags packed, but maybe not everyone will have to go. They may say, "We need X number of guys for this mission. If we get enough volunteers, nobody else has to go." That way, they could possibly supply the necessary bodies from the unemployed guys, the bored guys, and the guys who just want to get out of town for a while. For Hurricane Katrina, they sent only 35 of us. However, that time they found 35 guys by making phone calls. This time, they are making all 400 of us report to the armory with bags packed, which is a sign they want a lot more than 35 guys. Dark Horse
        I'm a dark horse, running on a dark race course.
        munchkn883

Finally walked again....3.5 miles tonight and no back pain.
          Franc59

Half Fanatic #36

Enke and Tet, I thought about you guys as I was hiking up to Hen Skin Lake in Crystal Mountain dragging DS2 , the 8 yrs old, at a snail pace and planning the next family outing to the place sometime next July.. Too bad the weather conditions didn't cooperate to make it a PR day, but at least you had great company!! Can't wait to read you RRs!!! No running for me today, plenty of family time and back to school preparations. I put in 7 miles yesterday and hope to have the time to do the same tomorrow. Take care everyone, Francesca
              munch - glad you were able to get out for a walk DH - hope they get the volunteers they need before getting to you many great long runs out there yesterday and today -- congrats all!! i managed to squeak out 3.1 miles in 29:45 today before heading into work ....... i will be so glad when this shift is over and i'm off for 4 nights - hope i don't get any calls asking me to come in for OT - i really need a break!!

denise

SteveP

You're smokin Mary!!!
                Ribs, enjoy your day also. And thanks for all your help you give me, and many others too...you are a class act! Tim
                Hurry back DH. I got home from work Friday and DW had us packed for a weekend get away. No running, however, we did a good deal of bike riding. I didn't keep track of miles. We just had a good time.

SteveP