Masters Running

Sunday pre-Daily, 3.30.13 (Read 43 times)

The city in US with the most rainfall is Mobile AL.

....and

you'll never guess where we're going on my first vacation in FOUR years............

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Marathon Maniac #957

I still think you rocked it Jay. I know the hills on that course (and it's just hilly out here anyway) so your time is still impressive (ir)regardless!

+1

Twocat - well done!

CNYrunner - roar!

After almost making it through the winter healthy, I now find that "I habda code."  Feeling a bit miserable and grumpy today, since I rested poorly last night between the sinuses and eye-wateringly scratchy throat.  Still, I managed 10 miles this morning in the brilliantly sunny 29-30 degrees.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

NHLA

TW  where are you going? Florabama?

Mariposai

Jay, what a nightmare. Great job on your race regardless of all the frustrations. A lesson learned as an RD. I will make sure that every water station has a map and every volunteer knows the route.

Erika, I also took advantage of the whole chicken  sale at Safeway this week. I roasted one, made chicken mole from the other one and Ifroze the third one Smile).

{{{{Holly}}}} I hope you feel better soon.

Twocat, great pace during your run today. Was the woman chatty? 

Wanna see my playground today? 8 miles on sproinky legs. I think that my legs forgot that we ran 20 miles yesterday.  Smile. A 58 mile week for my butterfly wings and I am feeling stronger. Ave of the Giants in only a month away!!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

The city in US with the most rainfall is Mobile AL.

Though she's in the desert part,  maybe better check with erika on this one,

unless it's the 48 contiguous states and not 49 continental states

vs. all 50 states.

Either way, it'll probably be Seattle this year.

maybe already is.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

C-R

Well done today folks. With mis-direction, foul weather, good weather and all the other things the Master's endured.

Ran a little 5k today with some pre and post mile at a local HS track with some friends. Not as fast as I wanted but I had a great time in 50 degrees and sunny. Yeah! Patrick ran too although he's recovering from a cold and it slowed him down. Tough little dude. Didn't complain only said he will run faster. I like the attitude.

Have a great evening.

Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
              "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!  I kept waiting for the actual daily thread to appear...since this is just the "pre-Daily".

Congratulations to all the racers, this weekend.  There were some pretty good performances, that's for sure.

I know wild had another great ultra race, yesterday.  Congratulations!  Did you ever find out what place you came in?

Jay--that is really too bad about the volunteers at your race.  I've been to too many where the volunteers are not where they should be or don't know what they're doing.  I know they're volunteers...and some are doing it because they got roped into it somehow....but it's still very frustrating.

Nice 5k Karin.  For somebody who doesn't like 5k's you sure did do well.  Congratulations to you and your team.

Nice job on your 30k, Twocat.  That's a good distance, isn't it?  I think I've only done one...a few years ago...and I really like that distance.  Anyway--congratulations and I'm glad the rain held off for you.

Opie and IBUB had good races, too.  Congratulations on your PR IBUB!

Hey, enke--how did the long walk date/non-date/possibly-a-date turn out?  I'm getting confused on this one...

C-R--I like that kid of yours.

I just did a 6 mile run in 47:10.  It was 52o...not so sunny and still a bit windy but I wore shorts for only the 3rd time this year.  And that includes the marathon in Florida.

It was another busy day and I just do not look forward to Mondays...so it goes.

Okay--I'm getting outta here.  I still have a few things to do before bed.  See ya!

Hi all,

I think I should have taken my Garmin on my non-date/possibly a date walk, because we walked probably 4 miles.  Basically following the Issaquah Run for the Fishes 5K/10K route.

I am pretty sure the non-date turned into a date by the end,  and another date in the style of a real date is going to happen (hopefully soon).  I am starting to sound like Tetsujin in my fluid yet cryptic language!

My first tulip opened up today....that seems early!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Mariposai

I am starting to sound like Tetsujin in my fluid yet cryptic language!

My first tulip opened up today....that seems early!

yeap...you are starting to sound like the taperboy...and we love you both!!!

One poor tulip in my garden opened up today too...poor plants...they are so confused with this cold, hot, sunshine weather we are having!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

usandtoto-2@msn.com

Good racing, training,  and date walking. Lots of weekly miles pilling up.  Get well for those feeling under the weather.  And hoping the weather warms up and dries out for all.

21 miles this morning which stretched into the early afternoon.  Hilly course, mostly sunny, 45-50 degrees, 10-15 mph winds (against the wind on the back portion), shorts and a short sleeve shirt.  Ran fairly easy on the out, keeping my HR about 140 (8:20 pace), then upped the pace slightly on the back (8:12 pace) with my HR getting into the low 150's.  79 miles this week, making it over 70 miles per week for the last 8 weeks.  Very happy with my training. 

We placed our house on the market about 4 weeks ago and didn't have a single person look at it until we lowered the price this past Tuesday by 4%.  Friday we had two couples look at it and another couple today.  Hopefully an offer will soon to be presented.

Marathon Maniac #530 Mike (My Indian name is "Runs for Beer")

evanflein

Yep, Tet... when I check the wettest places in the U.S., Mobile AL doesn't even make the top ten. Mobile comes in at 67 inches. From this website:

Highest Total Precipitation

The most rain and snow measured in Alaska is at Little Port Walter on Baranof Island in southeast Alaska. Average precipitation at the inlet amounts to 237 inches a year (6,009 mm), which falls on 233 days annually.

In the lower 48 states, western Washington and the north coast of Oregon are the wettest areas. That's the only area outside of Alaska and Hawaii where yearly precipitation totals over 100 inches (2,540 mm).

(Ketchikan AK has an average of 154.6, with their record of 190.46 being pretty soggy.)

The wettest place on earth is also in the U.S., in Hawaii:

Most Rainfall

The most rain in the United States and the world falls at Mt. Waialeale on Kauai in Hawaii. It rained an average of 460 inches (11,684 millimetres) a year from 1931 to 1960 on the tropical island mountain. That's over 38 feet (11 metres) of rain.

So... Maybe NHLA was looking at this, but that's from 2007, and the numbers just don't add up.

As Tet said, I live in a sub-arctic desert. We don't get much precipitation, and we don't get much wind. We get hot in summer (but a nice dry hot), and cold as crap in the winter (heh, but "it's a dry cold").

Ok, enough of that...

Nice race, Jay, and yeah I agree with Karin. Still a great result. I can't imagine walking 11 m/m pace....

Feel better, Holly! I hate that scratchy throat feeling. Amazing that you did 10 miles feeling like that. I would've bailed.

Nice, Enke.

Ok, I need a running partner, or a tire to drag behind me or something. 14.4 miles today, mostly uphill trend on the way out, but still... went too fast, even with legs tired from yesterday's run. 8:33 for my first mile, and that was the last "reasonable" mile of the run. The rest of the outbound miles were in the 8:05'ish range and virtually all the return miles were sub-8, with mile 10 being 7:44 (nice downhill there, heh). Just ridiculous. And no, I didn't handle it well. Several stops to do wardrobe adjustments (gloves off, gloves on x 15), rest, regroup, etc. Stoopid. DH says I'm barnsour. Heh, maybe so. I do know I was running late so that probably made me go faster than I should have. Anyway, it's done, and a 53+ mile week. I think tomorrow will be a rest or recovery day.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Thanks erika.

I am starting to sound like Tetsujin in my fluid yet cryptic language!

I promise I won't tell anyone what you didn't say.

ganbatte on selling your uchi, Mike-san.

In the meantime, in mikeE's "it-can't-get-any-worse" department,

excerpts from a friend's 100-miler in the weekend's record-setting rain.

Weather was extremely bad, . . 
                          gusty winds, constant rain, wet and cold.
                          wind was so noisy we had to yell to hear each other
                          hands shaking so badly the volunteers had to feed me.
                          changed clothes four times ini 28 hours

Another runner looked like a zombie.
                          He said I did too.
                          It wasn’t running; it was survival...
                          I kept thinking is it normal?

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Marathon Maniac #957

I promise I won't tell anyone what you didn't say.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

TW  where are you going? Florabama?

YOWZA/////////..........my Favorite Place in the World, GulfShores/Ft Morgan........

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....