Masters Running

what's my pace? (Read 568 times)

This is what I don't get.  Do they use those 10K times to figure out how fast you will run, assuming you will run 10K speed on average for each of your legs?  Or is this number something they use to come up with another number that they predict you will run your legs at.  If the latter, just give them your 10K pace.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

OrangeMat

MM #6177

This is what I don't get.  Do they use those 10K times to figure out how fast you will run, assuming you will run 10K speed on average for each of your legs?  Or is this number something they use to come up with another number that they predict you will run your legs at.  If the latter, just give them your 10K pace.

It's the former. We just got our copies of the prediction spreadsheet, and whatever time you said is your 10k pace, that's what is put into the spreadsheet to figure out where the team will be for any leg along the course. The theory is that since many of the legs are run at night, on difficult and/or unfamiliar terrain, you won't be able to do your 5k pace, so they use your 10k pace instead, regardless of the length of the leg. Either way, I'm certainly glad I put down 9:00 vs what's now my "official" 10k pace!

Interesting.  But if you truly do use your 10K race pace, there is no way you (not you, but anyone!) could run 13-14 miles at that speed.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

+1 to^^^^

Not to beat this point to death, but if we use our 10K PR pace, Usually a few things went right when we set a PR, and we can't expect anywhere near that on a relay running thru the night, on no sleep, no food  etc, and certainly not 3 times in 1 day. However you should be fine with your 9:00 prediction.

When I had a 1:52 HM, my legs were something like this, 8:00 pace for the first 5.5 miler, 8:28 pace for the second 4.3 miler, and 8:50 for the third 9 miler (these were all pretty flat in South Carolina), averaging to my HM pace for the 3 legs.  Same thing on a few other relays which I don't remember my splits

dg.

helping Happyfeet beat this point to death.   :-)      good point, Enke.   Esther I looked at your leg on the other thread.... I'm going to post mine & we can compare notes...       I don't remember how much you run on hills.    Have you seen this?  http://runningtimes.com/Print.aspx?articleID=10507

It's really useful.   Discouraging, but useful.   

though... I was told to add 90 sec. to my pace...  (I don't know if there's enough room on the spread sheet for that)... for elevation.   add that to the hill factor.... and.    hmm.      I don't want to think about it.  

Kate .... switch vans & you will not have to worry about being the slowest.

OrangeMat

MM #6177

Nah, nothing's discouraging to me... since I have no expectations! Smile Yeah, my first leg is mostly downhill, I know, which is probably why it's designated as "hard". I like uphills. Downs, eh, I'm still getting used to them. Since I still don't consider myself fast (any pace that starts with a 9 is a gift from the gods, and even more so with 8's), I'm not there to try to "win" anything. Remember, it hasn't even been a year that I'm running without any S/I pain. So my goals are a bit different than most. So for the pace thing, I was just stressing that I wouldn't be able to keep up to what's been promised to the team, but after this past Sunday's race, I now understand what it means to race a race instead of just run it. So whatever the terrain, I'm ready.

It's amazing how much perspective you get when life throws you other crap to deal with. This is going to be a piece of cake. Smile

More data.  My 10K PR pace was 9:07 at the time of my relay, although in reality it was probably a tad faster than that since I hadn't done a 10K in 9 months.

Leg 1  8.2 miles, big long uphill, heat of the day, 9:58 pace (intentionally conservative)

Leg 2  3.5 miles, cool of the night, pancake flat, 8:53 pace and probably a PR for that distance

Leg 3  2.84 miles, hilly, maybe a slight downhill, gave it everything and legs were sooooo dead, 9:09 pace

Race time from ages ago don't really mean much - the question is what kind of shape are you in now. A recent 15km in 1:22 suggests a 10km in about 54 mins.

OrangeMat

MM #6177

Race time from ages ago don't really mean much - the question is what kind of shape are you in now. A recent 15km in 1:22 suggests a 10km in about 54 mins.

My 10k was this past Sunday. Is that recent enough??

Fast!!! (  :-)    )

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

RA race predictor 9:01. Times from the half and 15k. I have found it to be very reliable.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

...ya know,

we need to start a BettingPool on this........

No Pressure.

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

52:23 - so 54 wasn't a bad prediction Smile