Masters Running

Three-Day Walk Advice--For the Cure (Read 140 times)

King of PhotoShop

As some of you know, I write a running blog for the Dallas Morning News, and I received this email from a reader:

"

I am currently training for the 3 Day for the Cure down in DFW on November 4-6, 2010. I am nervous because I have never done something so long distance in my life.  I have approximately 143 days (21 weeks) left to train.  I have attempted a Half Marathon as a walker, but was not prepped to do it and actually did not complete the entire thing.  I did do 7.5 miles before I felt like I had the bends coming on. 

By chance you have any good training advice for someone like me training for such a long walk.  Any would be wonderful." 

This is a worthy cause and I would like to help this lady, but I also have no useful ideas, not having participated in this type of event.  I think they walk a really long distance for three days, and camp at night.   If any of you have some experience with this, or just any good ideas, will you post them here? It would be great if anyone has participated in such an event and can chime in.   I promised I would send her the link if I heard anything from you.  Thanks a lot.  Spareribs

#artbydmcbride

I've done the three day walk for a cure for three years in a row.  The organizers put together a training plan and organize guided walks for the participants throughout the months leading up to the event.  She should check their website

http://gottwins3day.org/

"Once you join the Susan G. Komen 3-Day for the Cure®, we provide you with all the resources you need to make the most of your experience. This includes the walker handbook you’ll receive after you register and the information we provide at a Get Started Meeting. Additional tools are provided on this website, where you’ll find training walk schedules, training ideas, shoe selection tips and many other tools to guide you on your 3-Day for the Cure journey. "

Runners run

BlessedChef

Thank you for the advice about the 3 Day training guide.  I actually do follow that, but I also love getting as much advice from others as possible.  The organization is AWESOME!!!!  I support Susan G. Komen year round. 

My mom is a 16 year survivor and this is why I walk!!

Also... Thanks RIBS!!!