Masters Running

Sunday 6-22-14 (It's downhill from here!) (Read 42 times)

Yeah to Deez, really big PR!, CNY, the kiddo, Marj and Henry.

Congrats to TW to live to tell the tale.

Congrats to Erika for another speedy midnight sun run!

MikeE - the grandkid....the way she is running just for fun reminds me of Wildchild, and the blond hair too.

Mariposai, that is a LOT of cherries!

I went to visit the mountain.  First mile was a bit of a run/walk, shaking the legs out from yesterday, then at about 2.5 miles I felt totally fine.  Did 5 miles.  I can't believe none of my nagging injuries are complaining right now.  I think I should sign up for another HM then.....late Sept or October would be a good month.  It's a beautiful day here - good for being outside, high of 75 predicted, a comfy 65 right now.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

evanflein

Erika - I don't know how you can run that fast at midnight, daylight or no, but well done! 

Well, thanks... but it starts at 10 p.m., and it is a challenge to prepare for this run because you have to watch what you do during the day, and how, what and when you eat dinner. But I'm done before 10:50 and heading home to a shower and celebratory glass of wine by 11:15. We're on such a goofy schedule here in the summer. Everyone is chronically sleep deprived till fall, but I love it.

Deez, nope, we don't even pull our shades. The change happens so gradually that you hardly even notice it. It's hard on visitors though, because the change is so sudden.

Here's a picture of the start. There were heavy dark clouds all around, but still plenty light at 10 p.m.  You'll see A Trackrat in the front, in white (there's two guys in white shirts, Roger is on the left... behind the guy in black):

Still... while I won my age group, number 2 was only one second behind me. A woman I do not know, and she's 51... hmmm... will have to get rid of the notion that I'm in a "soft" age group.

What a difference a second can make

Yeah to Pickles!!!

Well my week of miles went from 7 to 8 miles - not that much closer to 20, but I did get past the 3 mile mark - actually a 5K as Jay pointed out.

What a nice get-together of some MA runners

Nancy - I am picking cherries as well - I might even put a fig leaf on my David Wink

Kirsten

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

Groucho Marx

Marathon Maniac #957

Erika - love the picture (go ATrackrat!) - seems like a different kind of light, but maybe the clouds give that effect.  Re: light, I feel kind of silly telling you that I recently got dark curtains for our bedroom because I was tired of the summer daylight till 10pm keeping me up and and starting again at 5am waking me up too early on weekends...I love a dark bedroom...

TomWhite - are you sure that bike is not possessed by demons?

Enke - some day I really would like to meet you.

Car was successfully sold, a good deal on both ends, I think.  Now to find the replacement.  We are looking to buy at a place called CarMax, where there is no dickering or dealing at all - the price listed is bottom-line and not negotiable.  I find this extremely refreshing, as a visit to a couple local car dealerships made me feel quite bamboozled.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

well, about finding a new car...

I put my Subaru loyalty stickers on today.  There were specific instructions that it had to be over 70F to do this.  I have had them for months now!   I also have a 26.2 sticker, but didn't feel like I should put it on, having only done one 26.2!

As I was taking the photo, I realized I was IN the photo!!!

Why can't I post my photo?

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Why can't I post my photo?

..enke//....there's such a thing as having TooMuchFun......

hey,

speaking of TooMuchFun check our our choir on U-Tube at 18:00, I'm on the end next to the BlondeGiant.

we only saw this song once,

and I think we ''sight read it'' pretty well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiT0ShykRQE4

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

SteveP

Sweet AG Erika.

Sorry to hear about the extra cupcakes, Dave59.

If there were a cute child picture hall of fame, I see a shoe in.

Rest day.

SteveP

Mariposai

Enkie, you are a 26.2 runner even when you ran it only once. You put that sticker on. Putting pictures here is getting harder. The best way I found is to post the picture on Facebook and then copy the URL

10 miles of biking for my wings this afternoon (up and Canyon and down it . A biker I am not, so this is a HUGE accomplishment for me.

Ohh the EAsy Pacer and I went for a a 6 miles trail run to this afternoon. Fun, fun, fun.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Hey everyone!

Sorry i've been MIA but really been busy, will catch up later.

Well, thanks... but it starts at 10 p.m., and it is a challenge to prepare for this run because you have to watch what you do during the day, and how, what and when you eat dinner. But I'm done before 10:50 and heading home to a shower and celebratory glass of wine by 11:15. We're on such a goofy schedule here in the summer. Everyone is chronically sleep deprived till fall, but I love it.

Deez, nope, we don't even pull our shades. The change happens so gradually that you hardly even notice it. It's hard on visitors though, because the change is so sudden.

Here's a picture of the start. There were heavy dark clouds all around, but still plenty light at 10 p.m.  You'll see A Trackrat in the front, in white (there's two guys in white shirts, Roger is on the left... behind the guy in black):

Good job Erika! I heard them call your name out on the PA when you finished.

Yeah that's me white top on the left--those to kids sprinted out like they were running a 200 m, looks like the one in black is a bandit.

The light was weird because of the rain clouds, but all we got were a few sprinkles. It was humid but comfortable.

I have a little RR in the weekly thread (7th overall, 1st masters). I never sleep well after this race. I had a ceremonial beer at midnight and I stayed up til 1 talking to the kids, but after that I'd sleep for maybe 30 minutes and wake up for 30, so maybe 3-4 hours that night. Last night was restless too. The race really throws you off.

I finely got the dinner thing worked out (maybe). I talked to a runner dietician (Jane L the younger) and she said to eat a good breakfast/brunch and then treat dinner like it's breakfast. So I just had a bagel and banana at 6 and it was just about right--not full but not low blood sugar either (have had to deal with both issues in the past).