Masters Running

Saturday in the Park 3/23/24 (Read 35 times)

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

mike/marj/surly - nice to have some NCAA connections, . . . while they last.

I thought I'd like watching some of the games on the tube during today's inside busyworking but the squeaking tennis shoes and background crowd noise is very annoying on my octo-ears so back to the radio renditions. 

Hardly even a mist from the overnight slight precipitation left by the time I got going down to Chinatown at 6:00 am along sidewalks with the slightest early splatters of falling blossoms turning right or left or straight ahead on whichever residential streetside had the most cherry trees in bloom like I never got tired of doing exploring the twisting, turning, narrow streets around our compound during all those years in Tokyo going whichever way looked most interesting, still had the least other early morning risers, new way I hadn't been before, etc. until culminating this time at the cherry tree-lined paths in the Japan sister city park just as the overnight lighting from the Oriental style lantern lights started fading away for another festive day of happy viewings. 

The penultimate day of the Spring Sumo Tournament saw the neophyte leader who entered the top tourney for the first time 14 days ago at the very bottom Maegashira no. 17 but who's been headed to becoming the first brand new entry into the top rank to win the overall tournament in 110 years losing a second match in a row for a 12-2 record while the chase group dropped to only one of the 40 or more higher ranking rekishi wrestlers above him winning his match to hang on to an 11-3  for the first 14 of the 15 days.  Unfortunately, Mr. Neophyte seems to have twisted an ankle or something in his defeat and was exited in a wheel chair so may end up with a default loss and 12-3 for tomorrow but, if Mr. Oseki loses for 11-4, Mr. Neophyte might win the whole tournament without even appearing in the final match, . . . and, if that isn't exciting enough, though the Dodgers are assuring their fans that their Japanese superstar had nothing to do with the gambling that got his intepreter fired, most of Mr. Gambler's 4.5 million dollar debt was paid off directly to the bookie by wire transfer from Mr. Superstar's account but, of course, "it was just a loan" and he "didn't know it was for gambling."  Maybe his signed baseball we got when his former Angels played the Mariners up here two years ago won't be worth so much, after all.

ps Rose - I hope rrs has a smooth one like erika's seems to have been. In the meantime, though the swelling is still lingering on my knee, the mobility to do the stairs I've missed since the 12/7 operation has returned and it's apparently just a matter of working the swelling down and numbness out over the next couple of months.  In the meantime, the last of the painkillers I was surviving on was now over two weeks ago so, at least, that parts over. Just in time for the cherry blossom season so, in spite of anything I may have inadvertently otherwise said about it over the last three months, very, very happy about it now.  

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

Glad you are doing better, Tet. My eldest sister had her second total knee the same day as you albeit in Albany (I think?)

She said this knee seems to be more difficult than the first one. Idk why.

She is doing well,  though. Even drove all the way here to visit Mamarosa and the rest of us a couple weeks ago.

May you continue to heal nicely.

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

Mike, good hustle  by the team.  Tennessee is always really good on the women's side-  and this year the men's team is great, too, but they have had some missteps.  I'm hoping for one today as they play Texas.

I always knew (back since my college days at Indiana U) that the Kentucky fan base was, um, rabid and obnoxious, but they have reached new lows this week.  After another flame out to a much inferior team, fans on Twitter/X are threatening to make January 6 look like nothing if the Coach (Calipari) is allowed back on campus.  There is even talk about a hit man.  Unfortunately for the university, his buyout is over $30M, so firing him will cost some bucks.   Gotta love sports.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

''.........I always knew (back since my college days at Indiana U) that the Kentucky fan base was, um, rabid and obnoxious,.....''

as the

resident UK grad,,,,,,,,,,,,,while that IS accurate,,,,,,,,,,,,

we just didn't think anybody noticed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eV7kaQzy3zQ

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

LOL.  I know all fan bases have their element, but these last few days have been amazing with Big Blue Nation!

''.........I always knew (back since my college days at Indiana U) that the Kentucky fan base was, um, rabid and obnoxious,.....''

as the

resident UK grad,,,,,,,,,,,,,while that IS accurate,,,,,,,,,,,,

we just didn't think anybody noticed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eV7kaQzy3zQ

EZ 4 mile nooner today.

I found two things on my run:

1. A grocery bag full of boxes of Fusion iron/probioticVitamin C supplements. Likely stolen from a store and dumped for some reason. I took one box of 6 bottles and left the rest for other scavengers. Seems harmless enough, I always take pills I find on the ground; don't you?

2. Deceased Osprey that was not there on my way out on the out'n'back. It was on the sidewalk next to the road. Probably swooping low and was hut by a vehicle. I'm not sure what it would be swooping at over land, I thought they only went after fish.

Tough break, Mike. It's always tough when they face a high seed team. 11 seed Ducks men made it past a 6 seed, but face a 3 seed tonight so it will likely be their last game this season. So much BB to watch today!

On the BB tournament; I with they would have a consolation game for third place. The teams that lose in the final 4 should play for third place.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

Quick post while the grands are occupied eating night time oatmeal

I also skipped the outdoor workout after seeing the weather - just don't want to risk falling!!

30 minutes PZ endurance ride, 10 min extra low impact, 5 min stretch, 20 minute upper body workout

Then a fun afternoon celebrating Maria's 11th birthday!! Unfortunately the littles were sick, but we did video chat with them through our new tv camera!! Sleep well - off to play a game and watch a movie!!

denise

LOL on the pills, Bill.  What a strange thing to find!

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

I've found money, gloves, windbreaker, etc.

but the best was a discarded Gu badly

needed during a hot summer marathon.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)