Masters Running

Monday's Daily, 7.13.15 (Read 36 times)

Tet - you saw right through my ruse!!

It's bizarre to sleep in to 8:30 eh, Stumpy,  Ataboy!

Glad to hear of the house sale, Dave.  And Holly is correct, WV has leaves.  Perhaps your condo has a maintenance plan so you don't have to rake?

Mariposai - what about a race out my way?  Long drive I know, but there's got to be tons of options here in September or whenever you were thinking of running another marathon.  I could cheer you on!

Lots of changes going on here at work too - a new prof is taking over my boss's lab and we are being tossed - down to office space only.  I might have to be stuck in the same room as her....that might be motivation enough to find a different job!

I really want to run....now that the weather has cooled off a bit.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

wildchild

Carolyn

Good luck on the job search, Hermosaboy and Mike!  And anyone else who's looking!

I love being mostly retired - I'm still working very part-time from  home.  Today I joined 3 friends for a morning run up Ptarmigan Peak (12,500 ft)  and it was nice and cool up there!  About an 11 mile round trip.  Tomorrow I'm planning another run/climb up to James Peak (13,300 ft) with some friends to celebrate my birthday!

Enke - glad your hike with Mr. Blue Eyes went so well, and I hope it continues to go well with him!

Good luck with the move, Dave.  I guess Colorado is kind of out of the way if you need a place to stay in between houses!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Posting from tablet, so brief. 21 miles with 1000 ft climbing yesterday afternoon, then 47 miles and 2400 ft today. Weather good, but tomorrow looks dicey. Wish I'd had more hills to practice on!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

...you're going to start Wearing A Hat??

Nobody appreciates a nice chapeau anymore.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

evanflein

I went out for a run at lunch, kind of late left at 12:40, and about 1.5 miles in I notice something blue in the grass. Just odd enough to catch my eye, so I look and OMG! It's a little blue parakeet in grass, just pecking around nibbling on blades of grass! So I walk up slowly and bend down to talk to it, and he (she?) goes on nibbling grass. I reached out a finger to see if it would hop on (a friend's bird used to do that), but no, he turned and flew awkwardly into a willow bush a few feet away. Sort of crash landed into it. I went up to see how he was, and he'd found a branch and was just sitting there. It looked fine, so I went on the rest of my run and wondered if it'd be there when I got back. Yup, there it was, sitting on a branch of that willow, nibbling leaves. Very cute little bird! I did the finger thing again and bumped his foot, and he looked like he was going to climb on, but then didn't. But I could touch him.

Poor little thing! He (she?) won't last long around there with the ravens and owls nearby. I called animal control when I got back to my desk, and they sounded like they didn't want to even hear about it. So I called DH, and suggested we go by there after work to see if it's still there. I don't know the first thing about birds, but I can't just see leaving him out there overnight!

So... that's gotta be the most unusual thing I've come across while out running...

Hi friends - rest day for me so no workout to report, but I am

back online with a new phone! Spent a frustrating hour in the Verizon store where they were trying to submit my phone for replacement. I bought it 6/11 and they can only replace products in store within 2 weeks of purchase. Finally the 2nd guy helping me realized I could go to an Apple Store and they could replace it rather than waiting for Verizon to mail me one. So we drove to Portland - waited an hour for the next available technician who was able to replace my phone. Although no obvious water damage on 1st look, when he took my phone apart apparently there was a small amount of water in the upper right corner ?? Could that really have caused the phone to go completely dead? Not sure, but they replaced the phone with no extra cost to me - yay!!

Now - advice on a waterproof/sweatproof case?

P.s. Amy - I wish I could run/walk with you more often as well!

LaT - sorry we weren't in Maine at the same time - lets plan a dinner soon with the Boston crowd maybe when OrangeMat is in town too

denise

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

Well...the National Senior Games is all over for me.  I'm kind of disappointed with my result but I really worked hard.  I ran 4:52.33 and took 5th place.  I won't lie--I went there to run a 4:30 and win.  I just needed more time to train at that speed.  Oh, well...time to get ready for Marine Corps.

You know, though...whether I'm 1st, 5th, or last...these guys still love me...

...so all is good!

Okay--gotta go.  See ya!

Mike--rub some dirt on it.

There, feel better?

Joys of phone entry. Good for Enke. Hope this takes.

I'm too lazy to get the computer out, so I think it's just about bed time.

I heard you Stumpy - funny then and still funny

Yoga this morning and was set to run the Monday club run, but had a visit from in-laws, so ...

Denise - Boston outing would be  grand idea - we always seem to do this when we have guests, but we certainly don't have to wait until April Wink

Kirsten

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

Groucho Marx

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

We all know you're a winner, Mike.  Kids that cute can't be wrong.  Of course, i still harbor some suspicions that you're really a grandpa.  They're not supposed to run that fast.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

deez4boyz I always get a cheap silicon case for my phones and have never had a problem.  (They cost about $8 on line.)  I have dropped them face plate first, no damage.  Dropped them on corners, no damage.  The silicon seems to give the phone that little bounce it needs to stay safe when dropped.  Plus, of course it is waterproof.  At least the case itself.  There are obviously seems where water can sneak in from.  But, the amount that sneaks seems to be minimal. Enough to stop it from being a problem due to sweat or rain during a run.

Before everyone asks how I would know about rain and running, occasionally you may have noticed I get snookered by my weather app, go out and get rained on! 

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Mariposai - what about a race out my way?  Long drive I know, but there's got to be tons of options here in September or whenever you were thinking of running another marathon.  I could cheer you on!

Enke - Good idea for a Posiethon out here.

Maybe the September Lite Tunnel course of her BQ fame conflicts with Macedonia but possibly a rerun of that October trail run with wildchild that I missed a couple of years ago might work.  Otherwise, in the first two weeks of November, there’s the freebie or food-donation entries for the United We Run NYC Commemorative Marathon and the Veteran’s Day First Call site of posie’s even-more-famed negative split 50K, . . . and there’s now one-a-day for all four days of Thanksgiving weekend.
                        However, as I now do, I’m sure the one she would love more than anything would be the Carkeek 12 hour at the end of October, . . you too as lots of runners don't run all day long, e.g. three loops for a 10K or 13 for marathon but most just keep going around-and-around the nearly 2-mile perimeter of the scenic park from 6:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. barely getting in 50K in 12 hours (me) up to 40-50 miles and even more for the elites so we could all do it.  I like having the encouraging words from other runners passing by on all our respective laps.  Better yet, it’d be about time some of the wings passing me by in the Halloween costume division belonged to Posie. 
                        ps - I don’t know of anyone who would do it but I’ve heard ankle, etc. ruses sometimes works for the guys too. You sure you didn't just make yours up for us though? Smile

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Henrun - thanks for the Pan American Games info. Even though they are well under way, I would have had no idea except for your post. In particular, this weekend’s Olympic distance triathlon had 11 men within a minute of 1:48:58 with veteran 39-yo elite triathlete Hunter Kemper at eighth place. Less than a minute separated four women similarly close at 1:57:18.

Before I looked, with the 2.4 mile Ironman swims, five-and-six mile open water swims here-and-there, I was wondering why there are no long distance swim events in the Olympics, etc. Then I found out that this weekend was the Pan Am 10K open water swim too with four men within a minute of the winning 1:54:03 (almost a half hour faster for 6.2 miles than my 2.4 mile IM swims in those days) and six were women around 2:03:17 .

There’s also 10K in-line skate race coming up, race-walking and the marathons.

Saturday, July 18 - women’s marathon

Sunday, July 19 - 20K racewalks

Saturday, July 25 - men’s marathon

Sunday, July 26 - 50K racewalk

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Marathon Maniac #957

We all know you're a winner, Mike.  Kids that cute can't be wrong.  Of course, i still harbor some suspicions that you're really a grandpa.  They're not supposed to run that fast.

True!

Erika - did you find the bird later?

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

SteveP

We took the 9-month old niece for her first toe-dip in the ocean yesterday. She liked it, but couldn't quite figure out that ocean thing; it was a lot different than her bathtub... We went out for lobster rolls and sweet potato fries for lunch, and then had roasted veggies and plank-grilled salmon for dinner, so we ate well yesterday. That family is leaving this morning, and we don't have any more company coming till Friday. This morning was my SRD, so I read for a bit before getting the coffee and the day going.

Have a greta Monday!

Jay

Pretty close to heaven

Dave59, think of all the interludes you'll be missing with the snow shovel.

You're a wild man Tom White.

Evanflein, don't leave us hanging.....

Love the picture MikeE!!!!

DW, Tag and I got out for a couple of miles.

SteveP

BlazinCajun

... Smoked a 7 lb., bone-in pork shoulder, 7 hours at 225 to 275 yesterday and it came out perfect. ... 

Spareribs - Don't quite remember how you ended up with the nickname Spareribs; whether from your ribs or the ribs on the grill? Just wondering how did you serve up the pork shoulder? Sounds like it smelled good.

Mike E - Way to get out there and compete - nice job!

Ran 4 sproinky miles in the 91° humidity - felt great!

Andrew
                                ------------------
                                God, my Lord, is my strength;
                                he makes my feet swift as those of hinds
                                and enables me to go upon the heights.
                                Hb 3:19