Masters Running

Tuesday's Daily, 10.14.14 (Read 39 times)

TammyinGP

Hi Tamster. Are you done with the veggie garden? The extended warm days we have had in the last three weeks revived my tomato plants again and I was able to harvest a box full of ripe tomatoes last night. One last batch of marinera sauce is in the making.

I pretty much took the summer off from gardening this year. We were predicted for a very hot and dry summer and I knew our low producing well would be in trouble this summer if I tried to keep up with watering a garden also. So other than planting some lettuce, kale and peas, I didn't really do a veggie garden this year.

Tammy

icom100

Hi Everyone,

Hope this is an open group. If not please let me know. I live in Ft Worth, TX. Been running off and on for years. Would like to get my times and distances up. Ran 2.45 m in 32 minutes today. Not fast at all, but ok for me. Im nursing a hamstring/siatica thing. Not sure how to lick it. Anyway, thought I would check in. Keep me in your prayers. Last few days have been kinda hard. Mom passed on on Saturday. Having to deal with that and all that goes with it. Thanks.

Brian

Marathon Maniac #957

Brian - Welcome!  So sorry to hear of your mom passing...I know this is a tough time.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

wildchild

Carolyn

Brian, sorry about your mom, and welcome.

Holly, hope the weather gods smile on your vacation - you deserve a nice break!

Karin, I liked the idea of the Ragnar trail relay near you - a loop course sounds nicer than hours in a van!   I'd do it with you, if you don't mind a slowpoke on the team!  At least I'm good at trails.

Dave, sorry about the Annabelle withdrawal.  I'm sure she's missing you, too.

7.5 miles today in two parts - the first part flat and fast after a doctor appt. in town, and then 3 steep and slow mountain miles.  Beautiful day.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Brian -
            thanks for thinking of us during your sorrowful time. This amazing group is supportive of way more than running, even they don’t know we need them to be supportive, they seem to know anyway.
            In particular, Texas membership has been pretty much stuck on one very fast supermaster who’s still way ahead of the rest of us even after heart and prostate surgeries. Hope you can have a meet-up with him sometime and let us know if he is really as nice as he doesn’t
            pretend to be, especially about certain rules such as event shirts in the event, tying shirts, jackets, etc. around your waist, half mary’s, tendonitis vs. tendinitis, eating gels for a 5K, etc., . . . even though we sometimes inadvertently do it all the time.  
            ps - is “com100" about 100 miles?
            pps- have you seen a lost member named Fatozzig?

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

Welcome to the group, Brian.  I'm very sorry about your mom...I will add you to my prayers.  I see tet got in here before anybody could warn you about him...don't worry...we think he's harmless.  We also have a dog who can type...he's a good dog...but we question the sanity of his dad.  (He wears Batman underwear)  Oh, and there's a pirate who keeps falling off his bike...and a wild woman who drinks beer in airports and a woman who wears butterfly wings...a guy who thinks zombies are chasing him...and...oh, stick around and you'll meet them all.  They are a very encouraging and welcoming group who...without...I'm not sure how I would have made it through the last few years.

Well--that's enough of that.  I did 6.3 miles in 50:05.  The knee still hurts.  I'm fairly sure it's a tight hamstring that I just have to get loosened up.

Okay--that's it.  See ya!

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Welcome, too, Brian.  A very open group I would say.  Sorry to hear about your mom--running can be good therapy if needed.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Holly S. enjoy your trip!  I feel your pain about the work just piling up while you are gone.

AamosY yes I saw you trying to foist off rotten vegetables on me!  

TammyinGP you sure have a lot of faith in long range forecasts!  So were they right?  Was it a dry summer in your area?

Mariposai I think you are turning in to the drying, canning and general mass preserving queen!  Maybe you ought to go into the business?  

It turned out that the week's weather forecast improved a bit.  Right now it only looks bad on Thursday, when I am tied up at a conference anyway.  So it was 8 today and I hope to get in 14 tomorrow.

In cooking news:  This is a warning!!  If you see pumpkin butter for sale you might look at and think, "How hard can that be to make."  If you do that and look up a recipe you will find it takes nothing to make the stuff.  Then you will cook up a batch.  It will turn out to taste way better than what you buy at the store and you will EAT it!  You have been warned!  What do you need to do?  Toss about 4 cups of fresh pumpkin in a pot with a cup of brown sugar, a cup of apple juice, two teaspoons of ground ginger, a quarter teaspoon of ground allspice, a couple of ground cloves, a halt teaspoon of ground nutmeg, a tablespoon of ground cinnamon and a tablespoon of whiskey (okay you can leave that out but you will regret it!).  Simmer this for half an hour.  Pulverize with an immersion blender to get the texture you want.  Add the juice from half a lemon and eat!  You have been warned!  Now to go back and eat some more of this stuff!  So far it has been good on bread (of various types) and in Greek yogurt.  We have some bananas around, I wonder  . . .

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Mariposai

Welcome to the group, Brian. Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your whole family.

Yes, we are a very welcoming group. Post often, running or not. Most of us do it Smile.

Twocat, don't talk to me about preserving right now. A have a huge pot of marinera sauce that is going back on the stove right now for more simmering.

An hour of gym diva time and my muscles are going to be dead tired tomorrow.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

evanflein

Twocat, that sounds interesting, but not like anything I'd take on. I've become a kitchen wienie.

Brian, welcome to the group, I hope you stick around and get to know the characters here. The talking/typing dog is harmless, and the rest of the group is a lot of fun and support. Sorry about your mom. I think you have lots of company here in this group.

Had a somewhat ok run tonight. Nothing wrong with me, except my attitude (calf was fine). But the route I chose had lots of ice on the roadside, and fast traffic that didn't seem to notice I was there at all. Hellooooo! Tall runner in bright (and I mean bright) pink top, running facing the traffic on the left. So... drivers, that means move the F... over and maybe, just maybe, slow down to the speed limit????? Geez this is gonna be a long winter and I'm crabby about it already. 6.1 miles.....

SteveP

Hang in there, tw--it's not the middle of the month quite yet; here's to turning things around.

I hope you get an Annabelle fix soon Dave.

Welcome Brian. Steve from MI here. I'm slow as they come. Sorry to hear about your mom's passing.

My boss since March put in his to day notice. He walked off the job today. Meh. I still got out at a decent time. Got dinner in the oven and asked the dog if he wanted to get a run. He seemed to think it was a good idea. Even though we had a series of downpours all day, it's still a good idea to look for trails that hunters would avoid. A number of them have the same poor judgement as runners and will go out in anything Mother nature throws at them.

I don't know what is more challenging. Running uphill on a clay trail covered in wet leaves or down it.

We did a 4 mile out and back. One the back, one of the creeks over flowed it's bank. Never once had that happened to me on a treadmill.

The trees I grab onto in order to control my descent we went and it was hard to maintain a grip. One I've used to help assist in hairpin turns may be getting larger as well. I really thought I was going off the deep end.

Some views are worth the risk

Unfortunately, Tag had to explain what happened to his shirt when we got home..

SteveP

Marathon Maniac #957

Geez this is gonna be a long winter and I'm crabby about it already.

It's just not fair that you are already there when you had such a crappy summer....

Twocat - I think that sounds yummy!

Dave - looking at Tag's pictures, you may be right about Michigan....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."