Masters Running

Richmond RR (Read 269 times)

Crap Tramps... I would have DNFed or DNSed this one as well. These crappy conditions are not conducive to marathoning. Congrats to the DW... Sounds like she's a runner. Ray
      DNF in Richmond; my first ever at any distance. No injury, just misery. After a night of thunderstorms, the rain stopped just in time for the race. I understand it was about 95% humidity and 67 at the start, heading well into the 70s. Many of you know I don’t do well in H&H in general and, this time of year especially, I’m no longer acclimated to it. As a consequence, I imploded…fast. Literally, sweat was dripping in my glasses standing there waiting to start! Not my kind of day, to say the least. I abandoned any hope of my target 3:35 and instead did the first half around a 3:40 pace. But I felt miserable from the very beginning. I have never felt so poorly so early in a race. I was overheating (the sun actually came out making it much worse), my HR was racing, and I felt queasy.
      Tramps, the EXACT same thing happened to me at a HM back in September.....Isn't it hard to convince yourself that "today's not the day?" I've found it very difficult to run when you are just hoping to stave off disappointment. You did the right thing to meet up w/ the DW. You did the right thing. You're in fine form, and I've really envied your training runs. So...go head up to Philly on the 23rd, maybe? But congratulations to your wife on her HM finish. I didn't know that you had such an enthusiastic partner. Walt
        So sorry about this Tramps, but you did the right and smart thing. I started to worry as soon as you described the conditions and that you were sweating at the start. DNFs can take a toll on one's spirit, and yet as many have already said, you made a choice for better long term health. When I DNFed at Philly in 2006, I ran the Charlotte Thunder Road marathon and it was fabulous. Peter has mentioned it as well.....it's a great race and just a few weeks away. Go for that if you feel the need to race. I am glad you and your wife were able to celebrate her half-marathon success. Congratulations to her and to you for being there the whole way. Karin

Renee the dog

Just got home and read this. I'm so sorry fate was so unkind to you today Tramps! Sad It can be so frustrating when things out of your control sink your plan. Sometimes doing the smart thing is still disappointing. But, it really sounds like you did the right thing. Keep the faith -- you are a really good runner and obviously a fabulous coach! Wink

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Carp. $#!& and all that jazz. Cry I am so bummed for you, Tramps. Really and truly. Taint fair, taint fair 'tall. Sad Sayhey, though, if you are looking ahead--Memphis, Dec. 6---and it benefits the kids at St. Jude. Really--you gets lots of thanks just for running. And you can meet me, Dan and Pedey! Big grin (shhh...plus we finish in a Triple AAA baseball stadium AND we get to use the locker rooms to shower in after the race, it is so cool!!!) And you know, if your HR wasn't good, we can attest that it is a good thing to stop running as the alternatives, while not always this way, can in some situations, be very nasty! Good call. Best wishes, and Congrats to your DW--you can reflect on your successful coaching and give yourself a pat on the back for that! Well done all around. Keep us posted on what you decide. grins, or is it too soon? Confused
            Masters 2000 miles
              First it sounds like you are a great coach, I don't think many women would want to be coached by their husbands (except Constantina). Second, bummer. I am a H/H wilting lily too. 65 is my cut off. 42 is perfect. You made the right decision and can now go use that training for the kind of marathon you want to run. So, which one have you picked out?

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

what a bummer!! but.........i echo what has already been said - you made the smart decision so you won't end up having a tough recovery from a race that just wasn't it.........i hope you can get into one of the other marathons mentioned above and we'll hope for better running conditions!! congratulations to your DW!!

denise

JustAl

I had some friends run this today. One friend (in his 40's) ran about 15 minutes slower than his expected time. The other guy (20 years old) ran a 2:54! about 15 minutes faster than last year! Ah, to be so young and healthy! You certainly did the correct thing by DNFing. What's the point in trudging through 13 more miserable miles? Sorry this didn't turn out the way you planned. Congratulations to your wife on her first half.
                    Smart and Wise Tramps to abandon this one. Heat is the enemy of all runners, even one as fast and in shape as you are. Getting dizzy and woozie is never a good sign. Hydrate well to get your body back. You'll get that good day next time and you'll do great. Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Tramps

Thanks for all the supportive comments. You guys are the best! As I’ve said before, for me, marathons are really a way to help structure my daily running and give me that kick-in-the-pants I need to get out there on days when I’m not particularly motivated. Consequently, successfully finishing a training cycle means as much or more to me as the actual race. So while bad luck with weather is a little disappointing, it doesn’t take away from a good training cycle (and a nice 20-mile PR race along the way). Having said all that, one of the first things I did when I got home yesterday was check out MarathonGuide.com and today I signed up for the North Central Trail Marathon in two weeks in Sparks, MD. It'll be good for me to back on that horse, regardless of my finish time. Tim—I thought about your mile 16 exit yesterday. Let’s not make this a habit, okay? Ribs—thanks so much, you nailed my thinking/feelings exactly. Aamos—of course, grins! Big grin Enke—“a H/H wilting lily.” I laughed at that one. Yup, that’s me…delicate flower. JustAl—15 minutes faster than last year? That’s insane, it was IRC last year! Byll—aren’t these conditions nearly IRC for you? On the downside, DW has become impossible to live with. Yesterday when we got home it was “The runner who finished their race gets to shower first” and the like. Today it’s “I’m a little sore this morning; I guess that’s because I finished my race.” Grrrr. Angry After I mentioned to her some of the nice comments here about my coaching she said, “The secret to my success in running is learning when to ignore my coach.” The stuff I have to put up with. Roll eyes Wink

Be safe. Be kind.

The marathon at Sparks is certainly getting good reviews on marathonguide.com -- wasn't aware of it, even though it is only an hour from my house -- hint, hint. Hmm, think you'll need a beer afterwards?

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

TammyinGP

That sounds like absolutely miserable racing conditions Tramps. You did the right thing. I know it's disappointing, but just think how much MORE miserable you would feel had you endured a whole 26 miles in those conditions. So I say congrats to you for knowing yourself well enough to know that this race would have likely done more damage than good. And pass my kudos on to your wife for her first HM!

Tammy

You gave it a good try in bad conditions, Tramps, and made the smart decision when it was obvious it wasn't your day. You'll make up for it at the next one. Congrats to your wife on her half. TomS
                              You can tell a wise and well trained marathoner by not letting pride get in the way of common sense. You are already signed up for another one and will do great I am sure. If you had finished you would still be recovering in three weeks from a less than desired result. Congratulations on making the correct decision. Congrats to your DW! Sounds like she keeps you in line pretty good too> Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down