Masters Running

March Monday the 9th (Read 35 times)

wildchild

Carolyn

Interesting discussion about hiring house cleaners!  I'd love to, but my DH thinks it's an unnecessary expense.  Of course, I do all the cleaning, and he makes most of the mess!  Oh, well, I don't stress out much about having a perpetually messy house. Tramps, I loved the "health-department-threatening-to-intervene" description!

lamerunner, nice job for your DS at the ski races!

Twocat, bummer about your hand, but nice 19 miler today!

It's gorgeous here, 40°F and sunny, and way too nice to stay inside.  I ran 12 miles around the  neighborhood - our roads are drying out pretty well, and there's only about 10% mud and slush.  Unfortunately, the trails are all too sloppy to run, so I have to stick to the dirt roads.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

evanflein

Always good to keep the health department at bay, I say. I always figured living in a slightly dirty house with pets was good for the immune system anyway. Must work, my kids are extremely healthy!  Nobody can accuse me of being a neatnik, but I too cringe when the sun comes in and shows off the lint and cat hair or the grimy windows. Uck. We also used to say we'd have people over to prod us to clean up. So silly. Like Heme, we have a clutter problem. It seems like I spend a lot of time sorting, filing, donating and tossing, but there's always so much!

Good for you Twocat to get back out there. Hope the hand is ok, but yes we do not run on our paws so you should be good to go.

Nice job on the ski races for Lamerunner's DS! So impressed with him and other kids here like Tammy's DS and Riblet.

We got so much snow this weekend. Not like what Boston has gotten but ours is sticking around longer! The Iditarod got started today with plenty of snow so that's good for the teams. It's also cooled off quite a bit and was below zero this morning. Bleh. I'm so fed up with winter and then this damn daylight savings time nonsense just really frosts me. I'll be off to home for a TM run in a bit. Seems a shame with the bright sunshine, but there've been few plows (i.e. none) on the bike paths while the roads get cleared first.

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

Wow, Twocat...chased by four dogs...there has to be a joke there...but it's really not funny.  Glad you you escaped with just a scraped hand.

I did 10 miles, tonight...in shorts!  And, as much as I love complaining about having an hour taken away from me for no real good reason, I really like being able to get in 10 miles before it gets too dark.  I did 1.5 miles in 11:51 - 3 miles in 20:12 - 1 mile in 8:13 - 3 miles in 20:20 - and 1.5 miles in 12:45--total time 1:13:21.

After bringing my Garmin back from the dead a few times over the last year, it finally died and there is no hope for a miracle.  So--I'm back to just knowing where my mile markers are and trying to hit my pace.  We just have too much going on, right now, for me to justify spending a whole lot of money on a new one...so...I'll just make do.

Okay--that's it--gotta go--see ya!

TammyinGP

6 miles tonight. kind of warm out. probably 70 and I went through a lot of water.

Leslie - this is the blender we have. I know I didn't get it at Walmart and I really doubt I would have paid this price on it, so I must have found it on sale somewhere. I don't know why the 1 review is so bad on this. We really like it. it blends things SO much better than our old one, even crushing ice well.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Farberware-Heavy-Duty-10-Speed-Blender-with-Preprogrammed-Settings/41574604

Tammy

Mariposai

Hello everybody!

Wow, Twocat...chased by four dogs...there has to be a joke there...but it's really not funny.  Glad you you escaped with just a scraped hand.

I

Exactly what I was thinking. Two CAT being chased by 4 DOGS. .

Lamerunner, your son is rocking the  skiing racing world. Great job.

Great to see Tramps here. How is my idol, TriBee? BTW, love that "health-department-threatening-to-intervene" description! I think that is where my house is at too.

3 miles during lunch today, then it girlfriend's night where I drove 3 of my fun girls for a dinner on the other side of the mountains. Much laughter and jokes were shared during the drive to and from. A gift to my self...some girl friends time, just because it is Monday and all of us worked hard to make sure our houses were presentable for this week .

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

evanflein

Mike, you could probably download a running app to get you through till you replace your Garmin. I forgot mine at home once, and downloaded "Runtastic" which seems to work pretty well. Or there's always a plain ol' watch and MapMyRun.

Ran 7.2 miles tonight, with some intervals thrown in for fun. After a 2 mile warm up, did 6 x 3 minutes @ 8:00 pace, and 2 minutes @ 8:34, then the last almost 2 miles at 8:34. Was thinking I'd do 4 intervals, but ended up with the 6. After not running yesterday at all, it felt good to feel like I got a good workout.

It's -5° here at the house tonight. I am so done with winter. Unfortunately, winter is not quite done with us yet.

I should be asleep by now but am conducting some experiments on myself in that regard, last night I used th c-pap machine and was awake at 12:00 2:00, 3:40 5:00 and 6:00, finally wake-up time. I have no problem getting back to sleep but it must not be rem sleep, which is whet these crazy things are for. I too 5mg of Zolpedim. Tonight I had a cup of coffee kinda late at 7pm. Took my 10 mg of zolpedim and am gonna hit the hay with that dang machine again, after I get up to pee now.  I really want to be drug free and find a regimen that works for me. I sleep fine during TV shows and at movie theaters.

The last few days were awesome. Ran 2 1/2 with Bandit on Saturday; took a lovely long walk, 3.17 in about an hour, with MrStarr and Bandit. Today I happened to need a friend pushing her two kiddos in a jogger. We walked together a 1/2 Mike then I finished the 2 1/2 loop. My dang foot hurts more now than it did a month ago. The doc says to massage it and bend the toe down  to break up scar tissue.

all of you die hards getting ready for Boston are amazing. Holly, you take care and happy belated birthdays to you and Marj. Tomorrow we plan to get the biked out on the rode, that will be fun. Weather down south looks rainy and icy. We could use some rain.

Oh, we had a cleaning lady as a kid. Our rooms had to be spit-spot before she would clean them. Mom worked right along with her, then they would have coffee in their house dresses and aprons ( curlers were optional). Nylon stockings rolled down to the ankle, or those white Bobbie six completed the outfit along with sturdy shoes.  I pay a gal  to come for three hours every two weeks because I hate to scrub toilets and floors. MrStarr was supposed to be the housekeeper after he quit his job managing ( and cleaning) apartments. He does the kitchen and cooking real well, but wanted a "list" of what he needed to do. C'mon, he lives here too and has eyes. I guess now we are both happy and costs less than what we used to spend on whiskey and wine. Nice!

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

SteveP

Not much going on here. Hudson's off for spring break and we're just doing family time.

Post of the day.

TomS-Snork.

Leslie, I look at customer reviews when buying anything that is a nice chunk of change.

Cleaning is for the weekends. I'd the duster. DW the vacuumer.

Cripes, TwoCat. Youch.

DW has a man cold. . I stopped and picked up supplies. Tag and I got out of the trails for 3 miles. As it was much warmer today than we've become accustomed to, the snow is more compact.  While going along at a [pretty good clip, the dog will often stick his face in the snow. (He comes up with a mouth full. We're not sure why he feels the need to stick his face in it though.). When he tried that tonight, he nearly flipped over.

SteveP

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Busy weekend at the ski races.

skier mom - I don't know many, maybe none, who ski and run at the same time during the winter instead of just doing one-or-the-other, maybe track-rat does a little running in the winter but I don't think much compared to skiing.   Mariposie seems to run in the winter because it's more convenient, accessible and immediate than skiing.  Since you get enough winter exercise by skiing, do you love running so much you can't stop even during ski season?  Does skiing help your running or vice versa or both?

ps - alhouth I would never clean up clutter that I might use someday in 20 or 30 years, cleaning isn't so anathema anymore now that that's not a very realistic option?  Otherwise, "leave the garage to the the kids," I say, just likie I kind of enjoyed cleaning our folks' garage when their time came.  Better check with my kids though, I guess.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

lamerunner

Tet, I rarely ski during DS's races; after buying a season pass, I hate to spend money on lift tickets at other mountains where he is racing, plus you don't get much skiing in after you finish watching.  I did ski at Cannon last Wednesday during the Meet of Champions because they offered cheap parent tickets.   Usually I run during his course inspection  then watch.  I ski at Wildcat but often divide the day between some running or hiking  and some skiing.