Masters Running

Saturday's Daily, 7.26.14 (Read 36 times)

...there are really nice people in this forum.....

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Hey all - sorry it's been a few days for me checking in here and all I have time for is a quickie post

Thursday - up for a 5:30 spin class, 4.2 mile run, stretch and strength then up to my happy place in my little camper!!  Dh drove up right from work and we went out and celebrated our 32nd wedding anniversary!!

Friday - Ocean Park 5k -- man, some fast people came out for this little race!!  I ran 24:10 and the top 2 women in my age group 50-59 ran 22:12 and 22:16 YIKES!!  Hardest part for me was the majority of the 3rd mile was grass/packed dirt so hard for me to keep up my pace, but overall very happy with a 7:47 avg.   I placed 131 out of 420 but doesn't list my age group place so need to figure that out.  Did a mile warmup and a mile cooldown - best part was my mom was there to watch me and cheer me on -- so fun!!

Today -- 12.2 miles to work on building for Philly!!

Now - off to Portland with my dh and my mom!!  Feeling so fortunate and blessed to have her here with us!!

Happy weekend my dear friends!!

denise

8 mile trail run today, first time seeing the sun in awhile, not to mention rain free. Debating next week's plan to to down south to run a 10K next week or just stay here. Tired of the same old thing so a road trip might be good-but they changed the course and it won't be as fast. This is one of those first world dilemmas.

henrun, re your comment about Robert Parker.  I've been a Spenser fan for a long time.  I like his terse comments and verbal interchanges with Hawk.  When Robert Parker died, I thought that was the end of Spenser but Ace Atkins has done a good job of carrying on the tradition.  lame, continued thoughts for your daughter and her boyfriend's family.  mari, continued thoughts to you and your whole community.  AD, great post and pictures.  ribs, nice racing for you and The Saint with 1 in AG for each of you.  I love The Saint's comment.  Mike, neat picture of Ryan and his new dog.  deez, good job in your 5K.  Also, happy anniversary.

Nice long runs for Mike, Jay, Holly, and deez.

This morning, it was in the mid 60s and their was a light wind.  I got in 7 miles at an 11:28 pace.

You know you live in the country when you see the bride and groom leave the wedding in a John Deere tractor.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

Dear AvengerDoggie,

thank you

so much for my pictures,

I think that you should let the puppy go to sleep and then get all your toys back

I have a cat named Soapy,

and she caught a bird, and took it into the house,

my mommy put it on a book and took it back out of the house

I think the bird was ok

I also

liked your favorite toy being Pancakes

love claire

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

I meant to do my LR today, but I remembered that DH said he might clean the garage today, so I headed back home early to make sure he wasn't throwing out a lot of my stuff without my permission (he was).  (sigh) 

Why is that? DH was on a "mission from God" a couple of weeks ago and cleaned out a storage room in our basement. He took some candle holders, vases and other stuff that I use from time to time and made some remark about "not needing this junk any more." Yet Monday when I tossed out one of his ragged, frayed golf shirts that used to be white and was now a toss-up between dingy gray/yellow (I DID replace it with a brand new one) he was so mad! Must be the male species...

Hey Avenger Doggy - could you please make a visit and help train my DS#2's new puppy Roxie?  She's not catching on to the "potty outside" quite yet.  Love all of the dog pics today! You are all lucky. Mike - your DS is such a handsome young man!

And Ribs? I've met the Saint. You are a lucky guy. Congrats to her on her first AG finish.

TomW - you are an inspiration to all of us. Have fun with Claire this weekend.

Happy belated 32nd Deez!

Warm and muggy here this morning. Ran 4 then met my DS#1 and 2 at farmer's market. DS#1 had Will who will be 5 in October and Ben who is 3 with him. Nicholas (who turned one in March) stayed home with mama. Always a treat to have them around, and they were intrigued with a man selling honey who had his bees and queen bee on display in his booth. They couldn't quite figure out how the bees got the honey in the jars   Bought some of the first corn on the cob of the season, some blueberries and other assorted veggies which we will grill for dinner tonight.

Enjoy your Saturday everyone.

Marathon Maniac #957

Why is that? DH was on a "mission from God" a couple of weeks ago and cleaned out a storage room in our basement. He took some candle holders, vases and other stuff that I use from time to time and made some remark about "not needing this junk any more."

Exactly!  He threw out a bunch of candle holders and candles, saying they were junk.  Well, next time the electricity goes out, that "junk" will be sorely missed.

TomWhite - you are one of the nicest of the people on this forum!

Played tennis with DD this afternoon, then made lettuce wraps for dinner.  Not nearly as good as PF Changs', though.....

Now to watch another episode of Season 3 of Game of Thrones.....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

...there are really nice people in this forum.....

Thanks Tom. I am one who is very blessed very much by all of you.
                  Of course, when DD said she had some airline passes and wondered if we could come up to the Great Land a little southeast of Erika-and-Rhoonland to take care of now 5-yo DGS while they went on an fishing vacation with some friends to a remote island about 40 seaplane minutes away, I signed and said, “oh, okay” <<<(Peter in the briar patch)>>>, especially when it would allow my 12th Frank Maier Marathon starting from 1978 when I often shared the miles with local renowned architect Frank Maier whenever our respective schedules overlapped. His awful death in 1991 fishing mishap caused the change of name.

In particular, to this day, Frank was the only other true non-trainer I’ve run marathons with, saying that deer hunting in the coastal mountains, hauling fish nets, working and taking care of his family and kids in a one acre coastal cabin on a steep slope between the road and the sound that could get snowed in the winter, etc. was more than sufficient.  He was right too. In those days, counting the then Juneau Marathon, I doubt if our combined annual mileages ever exceeded 100 miles.
                  Lot’s of regrets, sadness and tragedy in getting older.  Makes the definition of happiness change, that’s for sure but, having once vowed to quit running if 26.2 miles ever took more than five hours, my definition of happiness has changed drastically along with everything else, e.g. grandkids, etc.   However, it most definitely includes this morning’s six-and-a-half hour memory-filled 26.2 miles.  Thanks Frank.

.- happy barefoot jon

or should I say to you but I guess you know, “barefoot geezer” as I heard one of the younger runners comment in some degree of awe <<<(my interpretation)>>>, Did you see that barefoot geezer.”  No wonder I love running so much.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

wildchild

Carolyn

Tet, you're a gem.  You'd better be there next time I come to Seattle to visit DD.  I'd love to run some trails with you.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

henrun, re your comment about Robert Parker.  I've been a Spenser fan for a long time.  I like his terse comments and verbal interchanges with Hawk.  When Robert Parker died, I thought that was the end of Spenser but Ace Atkins has done a good job of carrying on the tradition.  lame, continued thoughts for your daughter and her boyfriend's family.  mari, continued thoughts to you and your whole community.  AD, great post and pictures.  ribs, nice racing for you and The Saint with 1 in AG for each of you.  I love The Saint's comment.  Mike, neat picture of Ryan and his new dog.  deez, good job in your 5K.  Also, happy anniversary.

Nice long runs for Mike, Jay, Holly, and deez.

This morning, it was in the mid 60s and their was a light wind.  I got in 7 miles at an 11:28 pace.

You know you live in the country when you see the bride and groom leave the wedding in a John Deere tractor.

Tom, you do a great job mentioning everyone in your posts too. Thanks to you, Jay, Aamos and twocat I can stay in the loop. MrStarr and I listened to an audiobook by Robert Parker last weekend called Stone Cold. It was good and easy to listen to, will have to read some others now.

Holly and Erika, I am a pack rat and save a lot of stuff but am getting better. I donated a bunch of formats to the auditorium to use for costumes. I still have some of my grandma's clothes with Saks labels in them circa 1900. Hats too Smile. I will have to try on my wedding dress one of these days to see if it fits again.

i had Garmin trouble this morning, left it on all night, oops. It charged up to 10% by the time my old Garmin found the satelites so I took them both. The new one died after 1:15. I got my 8 miles done, got attacked by a red-winged blackbird-- twice! That is a first for me. The first was a sneaky attack from behind right above my head. The next time it was coming straight at me down the path so I yielded and took the road and an alternate route home. NonHitchcock movies tonight, but we started watching "The Bible" series that I bought a couple of years ago.

MrStarr bought a road bike today they ordered pedals and can put them on Friday so another trip to Sioux Falls.  G'night and fleet feet to all the racers. Good job on the 5k Ribs and The Saint!

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

evanflein

I got in 8.7 miles at a nice brisk pace today (8:07 avg), then showered up at my office building (start and finish of my run), then hiked down the trail behind campus to find some blueberries. Seems early this year, but all the rain has made them big and nice! Took me almost 2.5 hours (at least 1.5 miles of hiking involved, maybe 2), but I got almost a gallon of very nice berries. My back is killing me though after all that bending and stooping. If I do a 20 miler tomorrow, it'll be a slow one!

Marathon Maniac #957

Tet, you're a gem. 

+1       I don't suppose we could talk you into a visit to Vermont in September.........

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."